ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
OK, I want a Rigid Kayak.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGO

PostPosted: 7/10/2006, 4:54 am    Post subject: OK, I want a Rigid Kayak. Reply to topic Reply with quote

Other than a wonderful walk in Fletcher Canyon yesterday, I spent the week-end researching Kayak and learning the differences in boats. That difference is wide.
I'm not trying to be a Kayaker per say but I want to get to interesting hiking and camping distinations. The first places that come to mind start at 4 miles out from the nearest put in so an inflatable is out. I'm looking for a touring Kayak now.
Does anyone here have any advice for me? I'm mostly looking into the west mouth of Grand Canyon, all of Lake Powell and the mountain cliffs on Lake mead as well as the Colorado just below Hoover Dam.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
ghoster

PostPosted: 7/10/2006, 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Check out Folbot.com they have a great one that folds up and packs into bags so that you can transport it easily. I used to have one of these and they worked great, I did a lot of ocean fishing in it, and it took the ocean waves great. Of course a spray cover and stuff helped a lot. They are pricey but you pay for quality.
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/10/2006, 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Get an inflatable an throw some blue pill in it! Rolling Eyes
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Daryl

PostPosted: 7/10/2006, 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Look at the Perception Swifty. Hands down the most popular recreational kayak and will easlily do 4 miles. Can find them used for $150. I had one and loved it, great boat to learn in as it is very very stable.

Sports Authority carries Mainstream kayaks. It is the same company as Perception, which is probably one of the best kayak manufacturers around. The boats are the same, but they are cheaper.

A little more pricey, the Old Town Loons are great as well. THe longer the kayak the straighter it will track (with less resistance) and thus it will be faster and easier to paddle. I have an 11 foot Loon and love it. Not as stable as the swifty, but still very stable, and much faster.

I have a wavesport Z I'll sell you, but it's a whitewater boat. It's a pig in still water (although still better then an inflatable) and has no storage space. Probably not what you want (but it looks really cool).

PostPosted: 7/10/2006, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a couple of inflatable Aires. The tandem is great for self-suport trips like the San Juan. I did the San Juan last year from Sand Island to Clay Hills and it was great. This coming September I am boating Desolation Gray Canyon in UT which is 84 miles. Its a 6-day trip. Can't wait.

Purchasing a certain type of boat depends on the kind of water you are going to be paddling. I prefer the multi-day, wilderness, self-support trips which are backpacker style trips.
IGO

PostPosted: 7/10/2006, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been doing little but getting an education for the last 10 days. I've learned much. The hardest lesson is that if I want a rigid I'll have to rent storage and that storage is going to cost me $140 a month. Not good.
My boat will be 13+ feet and farely narrow. For the only real resons I want one I'll have to go long and fast. It will have to go up-river in the Grand Canyon for it's last dozen or so miles. That's gotta be a very efficient boat.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
PageRob

PostPosted: 7/10/2006, 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting and building a Pygmy. Talked to some folks who've had them, and nothing but good reviews so far.
IGO

PostPosted: 7/11/2006, 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not sure what that is.
Daryl

PostPosted: 7/11/2006, 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

12 miles up stream on the colorado is going to be a very long day in any kayak!

PostPosted: 7/11/2006, 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.pygmyboats.com/
IGO

PostPosted: 7/11/2006, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
12 miles up stream on the colorado is going to be a very long day in any kayak!

Absolutely NOT in one day. Maybe 4 or 5 mile chunks.
IGO

PostPosted: 7/11/2006, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

PageRob wrote:
http://www.pygmyboats.com/

Oh that would be wonderful but I don't have the wood shop like I used to.
ck1

PostPosted: 7/11/2006, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've got a friend who owns an outfitter company here in Mesa...they rent and sell, and their prices are excellent. They specialize in inflateables. In the 6 years I've known them, they've been especially helpful. Together they've run most of the rivers in the West, always in the inflatables....let me know if you're interested in contact information...

"The Journey is the Destination"
IGO

PostPosted: 7/11/2006, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am interested in contact information. I want a touring kayak but I want to float, snorkel and swim too and it looks like I'm not going to be able to store a long boat.
Daryl

PostPosted: 7/12/2006, 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
I am interested in contact information. I want a touring kayak but I want to float, snorkel and swim too and it looks like I'm not going to be able to store a long boat.

Swifty is only 9'6" and will do what you are wanting. A long touring kayak would be better, but storing a 12 foot kayak is a problem even when you have a garage and places to put it... I've gone up stream in the swifty and it does not require a lot of effort.

For going up stream an inflatable is simply out of the question. They are great for downstream because the water pushes them and they are very difficult to tip but you don't even want to try going up stream in one. I had to go up stream about 50 feet once in an inflatable on the lower salt (mild river) to get to my take out point and it was impossible. When I realized the best I could do was keep even with the stream current I jumped out and walked it to the shore.

Store the swifty on an angle and it'll fit in a lot of places. I know a guy that used one as a coffee table for awhile. I'm not sure of your housing situation, but they can be stored outside just fine too. Just keep them out of the sun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: