ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Info needed on Peralta Trailhead please....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockCrawler

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Info needed on Peralta Trailhead please.... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello Everyone, My wife and I just got back into hiking a few months ago, in a big way. We're planning to hike one of the trails at Peralta and would like your input. Both Suzanne and I are in good shape, so a hike thats a 3 to 3-1/2 out of 5 (being the toughest) won't scare us off. Last weekend we got about 200 yards past the Basin near Flatiron (first attempt) but turned around. I had no idea if we headed in the right direction so...downhill sounded like a good idea at the time.
How are the roads to the trailhead? We're in a passenger car. What are your favorites? I own a copy of "Hikers Guide to the Sup's." But I'm interested in some current "realtime" recommendations. Thanks in advance.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was just out at Peralta a week and a half ago. The road is good all the way to the trailhead. It gets a little bumpy near the end, but nothing you can't handle in a passenger car. As far as a hike preference out there, I prefer the Cave Trail/Peralta loop, counterclockwise, but... I'm nutz Crazy , most people do it clockwise. The Bluff Springs Loop is a great hike with a nice variety of terrain and nice scenery. Peralta Trail is ok, but usually crowded. The payoff is a great view of Weaver's Needle.
ck1

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree. Mike is crazy. Wink

Peralta trail is a must do for any AZ hiker. It is crowded on the weekends, but it's a great hike If you haven't done any other hikes from that TH, I'd stick to Peralta for the first time. It'd allow you to become familar with the area, making Cave Trail or Dactite something of a possiblity...

2 cents

"The Journey is the Destination"
tracker

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been to the Peralta TH in both a honda civic and a 2WD GEO Tracker (hence my name). It is probably better when its a little wet. It softens up the washboards and cuts down on the dust. Pretty good road.
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My little Bimmer made it when I drove out for the Don's Trek last March and if it can make it without ripping out the suspension any car can.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
RockCrawler

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

good stuff...thanks!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: