ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Download free eBooks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/6/2006, 9:04 am    Post subject: Download free eBooks Reply to topic Reply with quote

...through August 4, 2006, at least...

From Project Gutenberg and World eBook Library. http://worldebookfair.com/
heather

PostPosted: 7/6/2006, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this link. They have some pretty interesting reads. Now the challenge is to see how long I can actually sit at my computer and read........ Crazy
paintninaz

PostPosted: 7/6/2006, 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

or you could print them off....depends on how much paper you want to use. Rolling Eyes

OR...I also noticed they had some audiobooks for download...MP3 format...pretty cool! Very Happy

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
heather

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Audio books are pretty cool. Those I listen to in the blazer if I have a long drive. I used to check them out from the library. Apache Junctions library isn't big at all, but they sure do get the newest releases of movies/cd's pretty quick. I am there at least 3 times a week. I love to read. It feeds your brain....and I definitely need that... Smile
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use the audio books also, on tape or CD. "Cold Mountain" was the better that way than the movie, and the movie was pretty darn good to.

Phoenix has Interlibrary Loan, if you know what you want and are patient, they will order it up from all over the country. I listened to "The Agony and the Exstacy" from a library in Alaska. "Cadillac Desert" is pretty good also.

They are great for long drives, the time and miles just melt away. Also if you commute, NPR is ok but it gets old also.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We have Into Thin Air to listen to when we go to Colorado and I will snag some of your suggestions. Thanks
heather

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I DID notice that they had audio downloads.

Cold Mountain IS a pretty cool flick. I am going to have to look out for that. My library does interlibrary loans. I'm going to check into that more.

I am currently storing all my cassettes onto my computer (don't know the technical name for this, just know how to do it).Smile

Into thin air I have never heard of.Sometimes just to kick it up a notch I will toss in a Blue Collar Comedy Tour cd or a cd from just on of them (Bill, Larry, Ron or Jeff). My favorite is Bill Engvall. He gets me every time, especially w/ his family jokes.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heather, Into Thin Air was the most riviting horror story I have ever read. It was all real and it happened in the outdoors as well. I read Cold Mountain twice.
heather

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pulled up Into Thin Air on a search. No, I have never seen/read or heard it. I will be looking for it. Thanks
IGO

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't watch Cold Mountain wid anybody around'n I dun seen it 40 times. I lubs Renee Zelleger; she plum my kina gal in that'un.
BTW, my father has a house right there at Cold Mountain and I'm going hiking there in October.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
heather

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Rub it in , rub it in......LOL
You sounded just like them in the movie.Smile
I was very impressed w/ her acting in that movie. I laughed a lot thinking, "Is she really acting like that?" Just goes to show how talented some people are.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Love audio books although there is a certain pleasure just curling up in a comfy chair with a good book too!

heather wrote:

Nothing beats stopping off in a small town gas station in Alabama or Mississippi and asking for directions. At 2 AM. The guy gave me directions but I couldn't understand a single thing he said. And it made "don the rood a spell" take on new meaning. Laughing

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
heather

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Now thems is the real laid back country folk. Was he wearing overalls? I love those. Very Happy
heather

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry , didn't see the top part of your post. I only use the audio books in the blazer on teh road. I do read a lot at home.
IGO

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
Love audio books although there is a certain pleasure just curling up in a comfy chair with a good book too!

heather wrote:

Nothing beats stopping off in a small town gas station in Alabama or Mississippi and asking for directions. At 2 AM. The guy gave me directions but I couldn't understand a single thing he said. And it made "don the rood a spell" take on new meaning. Laughing

Next time you're travelin' in Dixie and you need translation you just call me. I speak all of it very well. Laughing
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: