ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Guidebook Reviews
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizard

PostPosted: 6/14/2003, 9:58 am    Post subject: Guidebook Reviews Reply to topic Reply with quote

I thought it might be useful to put together a thread where people could review guidebooks for Arizona hiking. There are dozens of guidebooks for this state, and some of 'em are real stinkers. This could be useful to help each other avoid the wastes of money and find the good guidebooks. I'll start with one book I've been using a lot lately and post some more once I get a chance to look them over again. Looking forward to reading other's reviews.

The Santa Catalina Mountains: a guide to the trails and routes
Pete Cowgill and Eber Glendening, Rainbow Expeditions (1998)

Rating 9/10

This comprehensive book covers all of the trails in the Catalinas, as well as all undesignated trails and just about every conceivable off-trail route someone might want to hike too. The trail descriptions are detailed enough to follow the trail/route and know about any major obstables or special attractions, but are also vague enough that there are still suprises. The book uses data points (these mark out prominent points on each trail with distance from the trailhead and elevation, very useful for keeping track of your progress as you hike). The book is also made small so it can be tucked into a pack. My only nitpick is that the directions to the trailheads can be vague sometimes. You'll need a map of the Catalinas to find your way to the THs.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 6/14/2003, 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suggest you include year of publication and information where you can obtain the publication.
Lizard

PostPosted: 6/15/2003, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Flagstaff Hikes : 146 Day Hikes Around Flagstaff, Arizona
Richard Magnum and Sherry Magnum, Hexagon Press (2001)

Rating 5/10

This book has information on tons of dayhikes in the Flagstaff area. The trailhead directions are extremely detailed, and there are lots of unique hikes not found in other books. That said, this book has a few faults. The descriptions of the hikes are not very detailed, and nearly 75% of the hikes are under 2 miles in length. Recommend this book only for people who live in Flagstaff. I doubt many Phoenix residents will want to drive 2 hours to do a half-mile hike.
Lizard

PostPosted: 6/15/2003, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Guide to Arizona's Wilderness Areas
Tom Dollar and Jerry Sieve, Westcliffe Publishing (1999)

Rating 8/10

This book gives details on many wilderness areas around AZ. The book has general descriptions of the areas, along with a trail map, a photo, and some suggested hikes for each area. The book does not go into decent detail about any of the hikes, and it is printed on very heavy glossy paper, so it has limited use for on the trail. However, it is a good inspirational book to pick out areas you want to hike in. Also, the trailhead directions can be useful, especially for getting to remote unpopular wildernesses for cross-country rambles. Note that this book does not cover all wilderness areas in Arizona by a long shot.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
Lizard

PostPosted: 6/15/2003, 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

More to come. Hope to see more people using this thread. Am I the only guidebook freak out there?

Also, unless noted all of the books I mention can be found on amazon.com.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/15/2003, 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good stuff, Lizard. How you been?
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 6/16/2003, 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
More to come. Hope to see more people using this thread. Am I the only guidebook freak out there?

Also, unless noted all of the books I mention can be found on amazon.com.

Good job Lizard, maybe I'll become a "guidebook freak".
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/16/2003, 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lizard,

I will add some -- I have a ton of them & I use them too ! Don't feel lonesone as the only " Guide book" freak!
Lizard

PostPosted: 6/16/2003, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:

Very busy lately. Graduated from the U of A last month, and have been interviewing and etc. for my first post-college job as a social worker. Today was my first day on the job actually.
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/16/2003, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
evenstar wrote:

Very busy lately. Graduated from the U of A last month,

Hey! That's great! Congratulations! Hope to see you on some of our group hikes Very Happy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/16/2003, 7:26 pm    Post subject: 100 Classic Hikes in Arizona 2nd Ed Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here's one that I like

Title: 100 Classic Hikes in Arizona 2nd Ed (2000)
Author: Scott S. Warren
Publisher: The Mountaineers

This is a resource I like & have used a lot. Good coverage of hikes - locations in 6 regions: Colorado Plateau, Central Highlands, Central Deserts, Southeastern Basin & Range, Western Deserts. Nice color pictures and printed on good paper! (Lasts without getting dog-earred). Fair amount of detail and driving directions. Definitely highlights the variety of hiking AZ offers

Rating: 8/10

Note: This is part of a series of classic hikes published by the same publisher. Other regions are just as good!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/16/2003, 8:12 pm    Post subject: Arizona's Best Wildflower Hikes The Desert (2001) Reply to topic Reply with quote

For those that like wildflower hikes....

Title: Arizona's Best Wildflower Hikes The Desert (2001)
Author: Christine Maxa
Publisher: Westcliffe Publishers, Inc

Book contains day hikes located in the Lower Sonoran zone of AZ deserts. Good collection of wildflower hikes. Written for the wildflower lover, the lively trail descriptions call out wildflowers along the route. I have checked out some of the trails and seem fairly accurate as far as flora. Additional feature is the insets with more information on plant life scattered throught the book. Photos are excellent. Fairly accurate directions and OK maps. Features I like: Bloom Season, Peak Season information, Appendix B presents all the hikes by level of difficulty and by area...makes for easy planning and Appendix A: Common/Scientific Wildflower Names

Rating: 9/10 (Wildflower Lover) 5/10 (Hike)

Note: This book is definitely focused on wildflowers rather than trail descriptions & other interesting titbits about the trail itself or the area
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/16/2003, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Arizona's Best Wildflower Hikes The High Country (2002) Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another one for those that like wildflower hikes....

Title: Arizona's Best Wildflower Hikes The High Country (2002)

Book contains day hikes located in the AZ highcountry - Northern AZ, Central AZ, Eastern AZ, Southeastern AZ. Again an excellent collection of wildflower hikes. Written for the wildflower lover, the lively trail descriptions call out wildflowers along the route. I have checked out some of the trails and seem fairly accurate as far as flora. Additional feature is the insets with more information on plant life scattered throught the book. Photos are excellent. Fairly accurate directions and OK maps. Features I like: Bloom Season, Peak Season information, Appendix B presents all the hikes by level of difficulty and by area...makes for easy planning and Appendix A: Common/Scientific Wildflower Names

Rating: 9/10 (Wildflower Lover) 5/10 (Hike)

Note: This book is definitely focused on wildflowers rather than trail descriptions & other interesting titbits about the trail itself or the area
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/16/2003, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Arizona's Best Autumn Color 50 Great Hikes (2001) Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good reference for Autumn color hikes....

Title: Arizona's Best Autumn Color 50 Great Hikes (2001)

Book contains day hikes located in the AZ which put up a good color show in Autumn. Hikes are organized in 4 key areas - Northern AZ, Central AZ, Eastern AZ, Southeasten AZ. Engagin trail descriptions call out color opportunities along the route. Again I have checked out some of the trails and seem fairly accurate as far as flora. Additional feature is the insets with more information on plant life scattered throught the book. Photos are excellent. Fairly accurate directions and OK maps. Features I like: Peak Season information, Appendix A presents all the hikes by level of difficulty and by area...makes for easy planning.
What I would like to see added: Common/Scientific Names of plants

Rating: 9/10 (for Autumn Hikes) 5/10 (Hike)

Note: This book is definitely focused on Autumn color rather than trail descriptions & other interesting titbits about the trail itself or the area
mike t

PostPosted: 6/17/2003, 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great thread idea Lizard. I will 2nd Desertgirl's suggestion on the Scott Warren book. Here is another that I like.

Title: Day Hikes And Trail Rides In And Around Phoenix
Author: Roger and Ethel Freeman
Publisher: Gem Guides Book Co. (2000)

Rating: 9/10

This book contains comprehensive descriptions of trails around the Phoenix area. It includes Glendale parks, Scottsdale parks, Maricopa County parks, and some BLM and Tonto entries. But by far it excells in it's coverage of Phoenix mountain preserves. Descriptions are detailed, at times right down to how many feet away the next switchback is. I have checked many of the distances (esp. in South Mountain) and find them to be accurate.

Note: Some of these hikes may not be considered very interesting in certain respects, but as training tools for other hikes and as a close-in resource they are invaluable. Also they are at times of forest closures, one of our few options in the Phoenix area
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: