ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Doing good while doing well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 6/15/2006, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Doing good while doing well. Reply to topic Reply with quote

This event will open soon for non-members. It conflicts with the Mt Baldy weekend or I'd be on this like ugly on an ape, but alas, I've committed.

VOAz is the best kept secret in outdoor AZ activities, and Hart Prairie is the best of the best events.

What: Elk Exclosure Fencing at Hart Prairie Preserve

Where: Hart Prairie Preserve near Flagstaff

When : July 21-22-23

Escape the heat of the Valley in the cool Aspens of Hart Prairie while staying in a historic cabin with views of Mt. Humphrey. All meals will be provided by VOAz and The Nature Conservancy. Fee is $20.00 per person for the weekend, funds will pay for materials and tools for our new "Save Our Aspen" project. Common meals are being provided through a grant optained by TNC.

In May, VOAz volunteers built 1,800 feet of elk exclosure fence around a Bebb Willow stand. The Bebb Willows are the primary reason The Nature Conservancy maintains the Hart Prairie Preserve. This was a last minute change in the work plan brought on by a break down in the review process for the planned construction to promote aspen recruitment. Bebb Willow's suffer from the same kind of damage--young regrowth is being over-browsed by elk and deer. That experience taught us much about how to built these fences. That should make the work go even better during this event. We will focus on completing the smaller of two planned exclosure fences in July. The exclosure is less than half the size of the one we completed in May. On Friday July 21 we would like to have about six volunteers there to set the corner posts and pre-position materials. If time permits, we begin the work on the second exclosure.

The Hart Prairie Preserve of The Nature Conservancy is about a 3 hour drive north of Phoenix. The last few miles are over good dirt roads.

Minimum age: 16
Maximum number of volunteers: 16

There is more information about the work and facilities on the fact sheet, which is now on the calendar page http://voaz.org/voaevents.htm
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/15/2006, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would be there in a flash if it weren't for Baldy! It is an awesome place and a great way to work hard and make a difference! I am looking for ward to taking part in many more events with this organization!

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: