ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Summer of 2002 vs. Summer of 2003

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 6/8/2003, 7:14 am    Post subject: Summer of 2002 vs. Summer of 2003 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Taken from today's AZ Republic site -
Fire danger less, forests mostly open
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0608fireclosures08.html

I've seen clouds form all week from the north around to the eastern sides of the metropolitan Phoenix area. They look to be around 40 - 50 miles out. Hopefully we'll start getting some summer rain soon and we won't have closures like we did last year.

Quote:
Judd Slivka
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 8, 2003 12:00 AM

Just last year at this time, you couldn't do much hiking in Arizona.

A year ago, vast swaths of the state's public lands were closed because of fire danger. This year, however, it's a different story.

Despite some spot closings of national forests, the vast majority of public land in the state has remained open. Some areas have fire restrictions, but open is what's important for most people.

But what about the rest of the summer?

No one knows. Future closings all depend on the weather.

"I don't think anyone is going to use the 'C' word until our backs are against the wall," said Wendell Peacock, fire operations coordinator for the Bureau of Land Management, which controls more than 14 million acres in the state.

It's weather that puts land managers' backs there. Last year, there was little spring rain. This year, the state has been getting enough sporadic rain to keep areas less fire-prone.

And if you're someone who has a business that depends on people visiting the forest, every day public lands stay open is another reason to be grateful.

Just look at Peace Surplus, an outdoor supply store in Flagstaff. When the Coconino and Kaibab forests closed last year, sales took a dive.

"Tents, sleeping bags, stoves, water filters, everything stayed on the floor," said Karne Snickers, a manager there. "The only thing that we did sell was boots for people to wear around town."

Or look at OK Corral, a company which spent 22 years running horse trips from Pine.

When fire danger last year closed 80 percent of the Tonto National Forest, the corral lost two-thirds of its summer business, said its owner, Ron Feldman. That represents about 25 percent of the company's annual business.

This year, the company didn't even bother opening its Pine facility.

"We just figured it'd get shut down again," Feldman said. Instead, they've concentrated on putting new life into a low-desert facility, doing trail rides into the Superstitions, which rarely are closed for fire danger.

So people tied to the land keep their eye on the forecast and hope for the best.

"We're going to have extreme conditions," said Jim Payne, a spokesman for the U.S. Forest Service in the Southwest. "But some areas have been getting rain, and we might get lucky this year and stay out of some closures."

Last week, managers of the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests closed Promontory Butte to public access. The Tonto National Forest around the towns of Pine and Strawberry were closed to the public Friday morning, as were the Pinal Mountains south of Globe. The Prescott National Forest closed the Castle Creek Wilderness and Horsethief Basin areas Friday as well.

Some of the forests, such as Apache-Sitgreaves and Coronado, permit limited open fires.

And the Coconino and Kaibab national forests will probably institute fire restrictions in the next few weeks.

The Grand Canyon, for example, which last year had stringent restrictions, has none so far this year.

"We're in very high fire danger," said Donna Nemeth, spokeswoman for the park, "Even if were to enter extreme fire danger this year, it won't be for anywhere near the length of time we were in it last year."

Here's to praying for rain,
GTG
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 6/8/2003, 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As we drove back from the White Mountain area over the Memorial Day weekend we Drove from Show Low to Heber. All I can say is it was very sad looking out to the south and being able to see nothing but charred mountains and trees. It was this very weekend last year that we had to cancel our group hike up Humphreys and GTG came up with the Chili Shindig event at the end of June. I'm thankful that the rains came, but I'd like to see more. Praying for lots of summer rain.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 6/8/2003, 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We have been getting a little rain here in Flagstaff most days. Often just enough to wet the street but it does mean a little bit better humidity which I guess is good for the forest. I just heard big thunder!! MP
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 6/8/2003, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thanks for sharin' that mayphyl. rain always makes things look hopefull. Very Happy

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2

PostPosted: 6/9/2003, 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was up at East Clear Creek Saturday. The clouds built up around 4 and it sprinkled for about and hour or so. On the way up it was raining pretty hard but by the time we got back to the truck it had stopped. Not too much in all but better than nothing. My daughter took her Harley up to Oak Creek and said she got a little rain too. Hopefully we'll get it good this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: