ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Murray Basin Loop Trail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/1/2006, 6:08 am    Post subject: Murray Basin Loop Trail Reply to topic Reply with quote

I rode Murray Basin Loop yesterday, on my new bike. This trail is off Highway 180 on the edge of Springerville and Eagar. You can also access it via Water Canyon Road--take Saffel Canyon Rd. to its dead end. It's fun on a bike, but the loop that most of us ride, which is 8 miles long, is not well-marked. Boy, it was fun on the fancy bike I bought last fall--last time I had ridden this loop was on my old bike.

It's very dry out there right now, and I got started around 9 a.m. and it felt a bit warm, too--I should have started at 7. It is in the juniper-pinon/rangeland type area. A lot of the pinon pines have died in the past couple of years. There is a rest stop with two benches which is shaded by a lot of pinon pines. About 6 of them have died, and that rest stop is not going to be shady if any more of the trees die.

This loop is just a really fun ride, mostly single track, lots of little ups and downs. If you start at the 180 trailhead and do the loop clockwise then you get a really fun ride for the last 1/3 of it. Come up here with your bikes and I'll show it to you. I don't know why they don't have it well-marked. It is really pretty in late August/early September. That is when the grasslands green up and the wildflowers are blooming.
dreams_are_work

PostPosted: 6/1/2006, 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like fun. I can see you with your legs out to the sides shouting "WEEEEE." I will have to come visit sometime this summer when I get to hot here in PHX.

Love is worth everything and can not be exchanged for anything.

Sarah
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/1/2006, 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I don't know about the legs to the sides--I use clipless pedals, so my feet are pretty much stuck on there. But DEFINITELY the WHEE!, and also a lot of the WHOO HOO!

Come up and visit. We'll go down to Hannagan Meadow--have you been there? And hike some of those areas full of bears, OH MY! I have seen bears down there several times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: