ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Coyote Buttes/Antelope Canyons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 5/15/2006, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Coyote Buttes/Antelope Canyons Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ambika, Susan and I spent this past weekend in Page with the idea of having one of those relaxing “let’s take an easy pace” adventures. Thanks to Tracy, we had permits to Coyote Buttes South and had talked about also seeing both Antelope Canyons and taking a quick hike out to Horseshoe Bend. Other ideas were thrown out as well but we all agreed on the above agenda. Guess we’ll just have to return to do some of those other things. Left pretty much on schedule late Friday afternoon and on the drive up there was a lot of yakking since we hadn't spent any time together in eons so it was nice to catch up. BTW, don’t ever try to order flowers for anyone in New York just before Mother’s Day because there are NONE to be found. dunno Arrived at our destination pretty late and settled in.

Saturday 5-13-06
Coyote Buttes South

Armed with our trusty permits and after deciding who was “ Artist at Work for the day”, we arrived at the Paria Ranger Station to find that there were 52 other people registered for the lottery for the much desired 10 spare passes for Coyote Buttes North for Sunday. This was the second largest group of people they had seen there but we put our names in anyway. A group of 2 was chosen, then a group of 4, then another group of 2….then our number was selected Multi but we were one too many in our party so we passed on them for another 2 person party to enjoy. In afterthought, we mulled that we should have taken the passes and then sold them to the highest bidder on Sunday AM to pay for the trip or at least a tank of gas! I wonder how much we could have gotten for them. Anyway, we drove out to the South section and got there with no problems on that sandy road with Ambika’s trusty vehicle and expert driving. It was totally beautiful as we stopped to take pictures of the TeePees and made our way up and down sand dunes marveling at the terrain, climbing on top of some of the formations for more pictures, and moving along at a leisurely pace, stopping to take pictures. Susan found a big old bone that I think was the “voodoo” bone because right after she took a picture of me with that, her camera wouldn’t work. BUMMER….of all times for her camera to stop working so we allowed her a really good pout for the rest of the day. We eventually came to an extraordinarily beautiful area with its own “wave” and took many pictures there. Decided that maybe we could take a shortcut, scale a fairly steep sand dune to the top and get down the other side but when we got there it was decided that this might not be the best route so we “sand skied” Skier Girl back down the dune and walked around. Lost Ambika on the way back but then found her at the car. All in all we spent 5 hours back there just wandering around. Though it is not as highly touted as its cousin (the North Section) it has a beauty all its own and is a remarkable testament to the power of nature and erosion by wind and sand. Headed back to Page and made a shopping stop for Susan to get another camera since she still couldn’t get hers to work.

Sunday 5-14-06 (Mother’s Day)
Horsehoe Bend
Antelope Canyon, Upper and Lower

Got to the Horseshoe Bend overlook early and guess what? Took pictures! Easy trek in and out but the views can’t be beat. Then headed to Antelope Canyon and did the Upper first which was remarkable but there were a lot of people there. It was difficult for me taking pictures in there due to the long exposure times and no tripod but I know that Ambika’s and Susan’s pictures are awesome! Then headed to the Lower Canyon which was (in my honest opinion) better than the Upper Canyon. Heading into that crack in the ground was kind of unnerving but once you get inside, it was just breathtaking. Only had one obnoxious photographer there who wouldn’t move for anything or anyone, even as Ambika wanted to take pictures of the baby birds. Both canyons were very beautiful with the lighting against the sandstone and everywhere you looked there was a photo op. Come to think of it, this entire weekend was all about photo ops and I learned a great deal from both Ambika and Susan about digital photography.

This was terrific trip and we all enjoyed ourselves….got a little hiking in, got to see some beautiful areas, got MANY photo ops and got to spend some time with friends. Our camp accommodations were pretty good too, almost like having maid service everyday. Chuckle Stopped at Cameron Trading Post on the way back for stew and Indian fry bread. Just a wonderful weekend!

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/15/2006, 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Trish for the write up .... Very Happy 'twas a wonderful time! I even got to go to Walmart to shop! Awww Rats!

The company was outstanding and it was a fun weekend in the sun and sand. Thanks Trish and Susan for a such an out standing time ...I enjoyed it thoroughly!

Top 10
# 10: If its dark ...Girls rest their eyelids too! and it makes the lone driver's eyelids wanna rest too.... Sleeping
# 9: If you talk long enough about gear, you will find gear you must have
# 8: Calfs like to lounge in the middle of the road while proud mama's cows watch on
# 7: What goes up ...comes down and shakes out a lb of sand from shoes Surprised
# 6: A cold empy waterbottle is better than one that is not cold at all ...
# 5: Discuss plans before you decide how to react to a permit draw Rolling Eyes You might just get lucky!
# 4: Buying flower books is not the same as buying permits .. Idea Mr. Green
# 3: Do not photograph a Voodoo bone Neutral Bad things happen to cameras
#2: Susan pouts when she does not have a camera Rant No
# 1: We all get grounded if #2 is true!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 5/15/2006, 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Maybe someone would want to go again sometime?? Wished I could have gone. Haven't gotten to the pictures yet, but I'm sure they are beautiful. Glad you all had a great time.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 5/15/2006, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just went to look at the pictures. Should have looked first. They are just beautiful. Such striking colors of red against blue. Nice .....

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
paintninaz

PostPosted: 5/15/2006, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great write up Trish...and I love the photos!!! Agree I'm glad you gals had a good trip! Maybe next time I can actually make it! Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 5/15/2006, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What a fantastic trip, the pictures are breath taking! Some day soon, I'll see those canyons. Mary
Suz

PostPosted: 5/16/2006, 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It was indeed a great weekend with plenty of photo ops. I love the colors up in the Page area. Coyote Buttes will be a place that I return to for sure with a working camera (and a back-up). I've always heard about how bad the sand can be for your camera but never thought it would happen to me!

Horseshoe Bend was like a Gieko commercial with all the lizards on the loose! Seemed I couldn't take a picture without one of them zipping over my foot or into a picture.

Antelope Canyon (upper and lower) seemed a lot less crowded than the last time that I was there. Our guide was awesome at clearing people out of our shots. Originally it seemed like they were a little pushy about wanting us to stay with the guide because I knew we couldn't get lost....but he really set up some nice shots for us....and we worked him enough to get our money's worth! Pictures turned out much better with a tripod although I tried to rush the learning curve on a new camera---not sure I'm going to keep this new one or not. It's going to be another couple of days before I finish sorting through my Antelope pictures.

Still need to see Rainbow Bridge, Toadstools, Canyon "x", the Rimwalk, and get some time on what's left of that lake. Page is packed with things to see and do! Kentucky Fried Chicken even has an all you can eat buffet. Perhaps a houseboat trip is in order. Anyone know how to drive one of those things?
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 5/16/2006, 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Perhaps a houseboat trip is in order. Anyone know how to drive one of those things?

Can't be too hard, they'll rent 'em to anyone.

We talked of a "lake hike" while on the RBBridge trip; rent a boat, tool around the lake for a week, hiking side canyons and beach camping. Sounds interesting, just need the time.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 5/16/2006, 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike Kelsy has a guide book "boaters guide to Lake Powell"---loads of hiking in the side canyons. I guess access will vary with Lake level. Still really low at Hite. Kayaks would be the thing for the tight side canyons.
KIM*

PostPosted: 5/16/2006, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz- I know how you felt. I was up in that area over Easter Weekend. I got a permit for North Coyote Butte. Before heading to the Butte, I decided to hike through Wire Pass and explore Buckskin. While walking through a deep pool of water in Buckskin, my camera dipped into the water Shocked and died on me. I was so upset. I really wanted to take pictures of the "the Wave". I eventually made it to "the Wave" and it was pure torture not having a camera. Oh well, I'm heading back in a few weeks to try it again and this time I will have a back-up camera.

It sounds like you girls had a great trip. That area is such an amazing place.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/16/2006, 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Those houseboats are expensive to rent, although cheaper in off-season, but I think I heard about $600 a day or something outrageous. And then you get carbon monoxide poisoning and die. No, just kidding, they say that they fixed that problem. So how many people can fit on one boat, to make it reasonable to share the expenses?
Suz

PostPosted: 5/16/2006, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wonder if you could put 30 or 40 people and then park on the shoreline for camping so those without beds could pitch a tent? (Not that I know 30-40 people that would be interested)
Shawn

PostPosted: 5/16/2006, 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think you can get more on them than you'd care to associate with for a week, 15+ I've heard. One could rent a regular 4-5 passenger out board and just tool around the interesting places, beach camp and hike. You wouldn't need the big pontoon boat.
Shawn

PostPosted: 5/16/2006, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RedRoxx44 wrote:
Mike Kelsy has a guide book "boaters guide to Lake Powell"---loads of hiking in the side canyons. I guess access will vary with Lake level. Still really low at Hite. Kayaks would be the thing for the tight side canyons.

What's with the Kelsys? I see a Joe Kelsy wrote my Wind River book.
RC

PostPosted: 5/16/2006, 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sredfield wrote:
One could rent a regular 4-5 passenger out board and just tool around the interesting places, beach camp and hike. You wouldn't need the big pontoon boat.

I've done the houseboat thing twice, it's a great time. They have various sizes, prices. The houseboat is pretty easy to drive, but cumbersome, slow, gas guzzling, etc... I have always wanted to do what Shawn suggested and with low water levels, a houseboat will be hard to get back into a lot of the canyons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: