ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Trishness!!! Another jerky question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
heather

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 6:46 am    Post subject: Trishness!!! Another jerky question Reply to topic Reply with quote

Normally I make jerky at christmas and add it to the houre derves (sp?) that are put out. I make mine w/ 90/10 meat, spice packs from walmart, dehydrator and jerky gun. I was wondering if I make it for my hiking, how long will it last (shelf life)? How exactly do I store it? Your recipe sounds really good and easy. I will be trying it. Thanks for sharing it. Smile
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would double ziploc bag it and freeze it. Anyone else have ideas? Or Seal-a-meal, if you want to buy one at Walmart, then freeze.

Elk jerky is the best, if you can get it.

Matt Gilbert has been appointed, nay, elected, the new spelling police. I have retired, (to everyone's abundant relief) so you will have to ask him how to spell it, but I think it's hors d'oeuvres. (Since you asked.)
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 12:56 pm    Post subject: jerk history Reply to topic Reply with quote

The whole idea of jerky came from preserving meat using salt as the preservative. The meat was cut in thin strips and salted heavily then hung on lines and sometime covered with cheese cloth or netting of some sort or anther to keep bugs off.

http://www.cattaneobros.com/About_Us/Company_Info/history_of_beef_jerky/history_of_beef_jerky.html
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use one of those vacuum seal things and then freeze it. It usually lasts about a year that way. When I store it unsealed in the refrigerator I only get four to six months. Although it's rare (no matter how much I make) that it lasts that long anyway.

-

I'm still not sure how I got elected... (And it is, in fact, spelled "hors d'voeuvres".)
Nealz

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

[quote="azbackpackr"]Elk jerky is the best, if you can get it. quote]

Mmmmm... elk jerky. Got some in the freezer right now. Marinated the thinly, about a skinny 1/8 inch, slices in a blend of EVO (extra virgin olive oil), one chipotle pepper, cracked black pepper, crushed garlic and kosher salt for about 16 hours. Spread 'em on a baking sheet with parchment paper and dried 'em in the low oven, about 225F, overnight. There are never any leftovers.
heather

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You guys have some cool ideas for jerky. Better than my generic holiday version. Laughing

azbackpackr- I even did a search on how I thought the word sounded and that is what came up. Smile
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heather,

Jerky never lasts too long in my house. One of the keys to making it is to make sure you cut off ALL the fat before you dehydrate it or it will turn rancid and moldy. And don't overdry it either or it's just nasty and really does taste like shoe leather! Use a good cut of beef too, like top sirloin or even london broil and tell the butcher you are making jerkey and to slice it really thin.

I usually store it in Ziplocs in the pantry or refrigerator or if I make a large batch in the freezer.

And BTW, it is hors' devoures

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness, your cooking is great, I can tell by reading it, whereas I myself am not a great cook, and have failed miserably at making jerky in the past. Glad you said that about having the butcher cut it very thinly. And Nealz' recipe sounds good, too.

However, I am a very good speller (and later on I double checked in the dictionary--a real dictionary, not the internet, which I don't trust--just to be sure) and it is hors d'oeuvres! And by the way, jerky makes a fine hors d'oeuvre while backpacking.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh non ! Je dois avoir égaré un signe d'accent dans mon français

Wink

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Que lastima que yo no hablo muy bien el frances.
IGO

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

wush ya'll tawkin' 'bout
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Your Spanish is pretty darned good!

I misplaced some vowels and accents in hors d'oeuvres.....dang that French anyway!!!!

Laughing

azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We's blatherin' about spellin' er some such nonsense. Whadder y'up to tanight, Igo?
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
wush ya'll tawkin' 'bout

That's a good "southernese" if I ever heard it.....Georgia?

Smile

mike
What box?

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
IGO wrote:
wush ya'll tawkin' 'bout

That's a good "southernese" if I ever heard it.....Georgia?

Smile

Rolling Eyes

y'all ain't right...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: