ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Giardia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGO

PostPosted: 4/24/2006, 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
Hope you feel better soon IGO. I have to ask the same question as Tim as to what type of filter you are using because most of them are supposed to filter out contaminants including giardia.

Katadyn Pro Hiker.
I'm pretty sure it was some shortcuts I took washing dishes.
I've been farely well with medication for a couple days but it's tuff this morning.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/24/2006, 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bummer! I've heard it's no fun at all. I also hear that where I'm going, Grand Gulch, in 10 days has skanky water, so I'm taking filter AND bleach. Plus plenty of fuel to boil!

Get well soon!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 4/24/2006, 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've often thought it would make a good BackPacker article to set up at a popular trail head, and take samples of people's drinking water as they come out. Some place where the hikers have been in a few days or more. Then test the water for purity and any nasties that might be in it, even after treatment. It would be interesting to see just how effective the filters/chemicals are, and how effective water handling habits are.

Maybe I'll do that in my spare time.
IGO

PostPosted: 4/24/2006, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sredfield, That's an interesting angle. For some reason, on this past trip I was very conscience of it when my outlet hose bumped into a wet inlet hose and I also wondered just how isolated my outlet/drinking side filter hose was from the rest of the filter when I stuffed into a flimsy bag inside the bigger bag. All the years I backpacked before I never used soap to wash dishes, I just rinsed 'cause I would boil in that pot the next time I used it; I've also always just rinsed the lid if I thought it needed it and covered my boiling pot with it thinking steam would do the trick. I don't know what I did but I'm paying for it. Funny, I've taken water out of creeks and rivers hundreds and hundreds of times. Maybe it was just my turn.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 4/24/2006, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For all ya know, it could have been something you ate after you got home. Bummer experience but better than coming down with it 2 days from the TH.
IGO

PostPosted: 4/24/2006, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm glad it didn't happen on the trail either but Giardia seldom hits on the trail unless one is out for a very long time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: