ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Giardia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGO

PostPosted: 4/21/2006, 5:07 am    Post subject: Giardia Reply to topic Reply with quote

Giardia
I've been ill for 3 days. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until last night. Goody.
I filtered every drop of water on this trip but something got by me. Looks like I'm in for the duration.
Below is a discription of Giardia pasted here from a medical web site:
...................................................................................................

What is giardiasis?
Giardiasis (GEE-are-DYE-uh-sis) is a diarrheal illness caused by a one-celled, microscopic parasite, Giardia intestinalis (also known as Giardia lamblia). Once an animal or person has been infected with Giardia intestinalis, the parasite lives in the intestine and is passed in the stool. Because the parasite is protected by an outer shell, it can survive outside the body and in the environment for long periods of time.

During the past 2 decades, Giardiainfection has become recognized as one of the most common causes of waterborne disease (found in both drinking and recreational water) in humans in the United States . Giardia are found worldwide and within every region of the United States.

How do you get giardiasis and how is it spread?
The Giardia parasite lives in the intestine of infected humans or animals. Millions of germs can be released in a bowel movement from an infected human or animal. Giardia is found in soil, food, water, or surfaces that have been contaminated with the feces from infected humans or animals. You can become infected after accidentally swallowing the parasite; you cannot become infected through contact with blood. Giardia can be spread by:

Accidentally putting something into your mouth or swallowing something that has come into contact with feces of a person or animal infected with Giardia.
Swallowing recreational water contaminated with Giardia. Recreational water includes water in swimming pools, hot tubs, jacuzzis, fountains, lakes, rivers, springs, ponds, or streams that can be contaminated with sewage or feces from humans or animals.
Eating uncooked food contaminated with Giardia.
Accidentally swallowing Giardia picked up from surfaces (such as bathroom fixtures, changing tables, diaper pails, or toys) contaminated with feces from an infected person.

What are the symptoms of giardiasis?
Giardia infection can cause a variety of intestinal symptoms, which include

Diarrhea
Gas or flatulence
Greasy stools that tend to float
Stomach cramps
Upset stomach or nausea.
These symptoms may lead to weight loss and dehydration. Some people with giardiasis have no symptoms at all.

How long after infection do symptoms appear?
Symptoms of giardiasis normally begin 1 to 2 weeks (average 7 days) after becoming infected.

How long will symptoms last?
In otherwise healthy persons, symptoms of giardiasis may last 2 to 6 weeks. Occasionally, symptoms last longer.

Who is most likely to get giardiasis?
Anyone can get giardiasis. Persons more likely to become infected include

Children who attend day care centers, including diaper-aged children
Child care workers
Parents of infected children
International travelers
People who swallow water from contaminated sources
Backpackers, hikers, and campers who drink unfiltered, untreated water
Swimmers who swallow water while swimming in lakes, rivers, ponds, and streams
People who drink from shallow wells
Contaminated water includes water that has not been boiled, filtered, or disinfected with chemicals. Several community-wide outbreaks of giardiasis have been linked to drinking municipal water or recreational water contaminated with Giardia .

What should I do if I think I may have giardiasis?
See your health care provider.

How is a Giardia infection diagnosed?
Your health care provider will likely ask you to submit stool samples to check for the parasite. Because Giardia can be difficult to diagnose, your provider may ask you to submit several stool specimens over several days.

What is the treatment for giardiasis?
Several prescription drugs are available to treat Giardia . Although Giardia can infect all people, young children and pregnant women may be more susceptible to dehydration resulting from diarrhea and should, therefore, drink plenty of fluids while ill.

My child does not have diarrhea, but was recently diagnosed as having giardiasis. My health care provider says treatment is not necessary. Is this true?
Treatment is not necessary when the child has no symptoms. However, there are a few exceptions. If your child does not have diarrhea, but is having nausea, fatigue (very tired), weight loss, or a poor appetite, you and your health care provider may wish to consider treatment. If your child attends a day care center where an outbreak is continuing to occur despite efforts to control it, screening and treating children who have no obvious symptoms may be a good idea. The same is true if several family members are ill, or if a family member is pregnant and therefore not able to take the most effective anti- Giardia medications.

If I have been diagnosed with giardiasis, should I worry about spreading the infection to others?
Yes, a Giardia infection can be very contagious. Follow these guidelines to avoid spreading giardiasis to others:

Wash your hands with soap and water after using the toilet, changing diapers, and before eating or preparing food.
Do not swim in recreational water (pools, hot tubs, lakes or rivers, the ocean, etc.) if you have Giardia and for at least 2 weeks after diarrhea stops. You can pass Giardia in your stool and contaminate water for several weeks after your symptoms have ended. This has resulted in outbreaks of Giardia among recreational water users.
Avoid fecal exposure during sexual activity.

How can I prevent a Giardia infection?
Practice good hygiene.

Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water.
Wash hands after using the toilet and before handling or eating food (especially for persons with diarrhea).
Wash hands after every diaper change, especially if you work with diaper-aged children, even if you are wearing gloves.
Protect others by not swimming if you are experiencing diarrhea (essential for children in diapers).
Avoid water that might be contaminated.

For information on recreational water-related illnesses, visit CDC's Healthy Swimming website at http://www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming.

Do not swallow recreational water
Do not drink untreated water from shallow wells, lakes, rivers, springs, ponds, and streams.
Do not drink untreated water during community-wide outbreaks of disease caused by contaminated drinking water.
Do not use untreated ice or drinking water when traveling in countries where the water supply might be unsafe.
For information on choosing safe bottled water, see the CDC fact sheet entitled “Preventing Cryptosporidiosis: A Guide to Water Filters and Bottled Water,” available by visiting http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/ parasites/cryptosporidiosis/ factsht_crypto_prevent_water.htm.

In the United States , nationally distributed brands of bottled or canned carbonated soft drinks are safe to drink. Commercially packaged non-carbonated soft drinks and fruit juices that do not require refrigeration until after they are opened (those that are stored unrefrigerated on grocery shelves) also are safe.

If you are unable to avoid using or drinking water that might be contaminated, then you can make the water safe to drink by doing one of the following:

Heat the water to a rolling boil for at least 1 minute.
OR
Use a filter that has an absolute pore size of at least 1 micron or one that has been NSF rated for "cyst removal."
For information on choosing a water filter, see the CDC fact sheet entitled “Preventing Cryptosporidiosis: A Guide to Water Filters and Bottled Water,” available by visiting http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/ parasites/cryptosporidiosis/ factsht_crypto_prevent_water.htm.

If you cannot heat the water to a rolling boil or use a recommended filter, then try chemically treating the water by chlorination or iodination. Using chemicals may be less effective than boiling or filtering because the amount of chemical required to make the water safe is highly dependent on the temperature, pH, and cloudiness of the water.
Avoid food that might be contaminated.

Wash and/or peel all raw vegetables and fruits before eating.
Use safe, uncontaminated water to wash all food that is to be eaten raw.
Avoid eating uncooked foods when traveling in countries with minimal water treatment and sanitation systems.
Avoid fecal exposure during sexual activity.

If my water comes from a well, should I have my well water tested?
It depends. You should consider having your well water tested if you can answer “yes” to any of the following questions:

Are members of your family or others who use your well water becoming ill? If yes, your well may be the source of infection.
Is your well located at the bottom of a hill or is it considered shallow? If so, runoff from rain or flood water may be draining directly into your well causing contamination.
Is your well in a rural area where animals graze? Well water can become contaminated with feces if animal waste seepage contaminates the ground water. This can occur if your well has cracked casings, is poorly constructed, or is too shallow.
Tests used to specifically identify Giardia are often expensive, difficult, and usually require hundreds of gallons of water to be pumped through a filter. If you answered “yes” to the above questions, consider generally testing your well for fecal contamination by testing it for the presence of coliforms or E. coli instead of Giardia . Although tests for fecal coliforms or E. coli do not specifically tell you whether Giardia is present, these tests will show whether your well water has been contaminated by fecal matter.

These tests are only useful if your well is not routinely disinfected with chlorine, since chlorine kills fecal coliforms and E. coli . If the tests are positive, it is possible that the water may also be contaminated with Giardia or other harmful bacteria and viruses. Contact your county health department, your county cooperative extension service, or a local laboratory to find out who offers water testing in your area. If the fecal coliform test comes back positive, indicating that your well is fecally contaminated, stop drinking the well water and contact your local water authority for instructions on how to disinfect your well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This fact sheet is for information only and is not meant to be used for self-diagnosis or as a substitute for consultation with a health care provider. If you have any questions about the disease described above or think that you may have a parasitic infection, consult a health care provider.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/21/2006, 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO, if it really is giardia, then you should oughta go to the doctor! I've heard that giardiasis can last several weeks.

Hope you feel better soon, and I hope your illness turns out to be something less obnoxious than giardiasis.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/21/2006, 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO, also see my soapbox on the purification tablets.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 4/21/2006, 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The standard treatment is a drug called metronidazole (Flagyl). When taking this, alcohol is absolutely contraindicated Eek
IGO

PostPosted: 4/21/2006, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It is!
I did!
I've got lab work in the AM too.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 4/21/2006, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CatValet wrote:
The standard treatment is a drug called metronidazole (Flagyl). When taking this, alcohol is absolutely contraindicated Eek

That's what the Doc says he's going to give me after the lab work. I don't know why he didn't give me that today. I don't drink alcohol at all but he did give me something to make me more comfortable in the interum. Phenobarb. I'm ok wif dat!
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 4/22/2006, 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

He will also advise you to stop eating beaver poop. Rolling Eyes
IGO

PostPosted: 4/22/2006, 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CatValet wrote:
He will also advise you to stop eating beaver poop. Rolling Eyes

If he does, I'll never go to that quack again!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/22/2006, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

TMI! TMI!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/23/2006, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO--Hope you're feeling better today!
IGO

PostPosted: 4/23/2006, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thatnk you for checking on me.
My Doctor says he knows it's Giardia but wouldn't give me the perscription untill ab work came back. I think he's concerned with conflics between my diatetes meds and metronidazole, Lipitor specifically. I don't feel so terrible as far as sick folk go but this bug does a couple really strange things and the worst one makes you bad company socially. I'm told that in time....anyplace between 3 days and 7 weeks this thing will run it's coarse but the metronidazole can knock it right out. Because of the natiure of this bug, I'm being very causious not to pass it along meaning I scrubb like a surgeon after using the restroom along with other measures. I really don't want to do this forever so I want to get it taken care of.
In-the-mean-time, imodium or Pepto do absolutely zero to combat this thing and the Doctor knew this so he gave me a most pecuriar perscription: belladonna/phenobarb. I thought belladonna was some sort of poison. Anyway, I don't know if it's the meds or the bug that has be feeling like a brick but stomach comfort and reactiveness has been greatly reduced with the latter persription. I don't know if we relaxed the intestinal track or if we've put the bugs to sleep. LOL.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 4/23/2006, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Stomach flu is also making the rounds, symptoms quite similar. Get well.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/23/2006, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just curious, what type of filter do you use?
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 4/23/2006, 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hope you feel better soon IGO. I have to ask the same question as Tim as to what type of filter you are using because most of them are supposed to filter out contaminants including giardia.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
IGO

PostPosted: 4/24/2006, 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Just curious, what type of filter do you use?

Katadyn Pro Hiker on the last trip. Sometimes the First Need purifier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: