ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
About those shoes...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
shy

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 12:56 am    Post subject: About those shoes... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Az, I think I now agree with you. It is time for me to perhaps retire my favorite shoes and buy some new ones. They no longer have ANY tread. However, who wants to mess with success? I wish I could find another pair just like them. Anybody have any shoes they like that cost less than twenty bucks? Laughing
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You need some tread woman..... slip slidin away..... You will be amazed how much better you will feel.
Kristyn

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok so I stupidly spent over 100 bucks on a good pair of hiking shoes. I hated, hated, hated them. Did I say I hated them? I got blisters and really bruised feet because of them. I could barely walk by the end of any hike because it hurt so bad. (My partners can attest to my funny walk!) Laughing So I retired them in the closet and began wearing my running shoes, been wearing them ever since. So comfortable! Of course they were like 40$ so still more than 20$.
sidhayes

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good running shoes are the way to go, as you have discovered.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I got some cheapies from k-mart, $20. They were under the work boot section, but they look like hiking boots and have a toe gaurd, I thot that might help for every time i kick a rock. So far I have been wearing them on Camelback mountain and they are holding up! The tread is not the best, but I have seen worse. I am very pleased with my $20 boots. As long as I wear my wool socks, I dont get blisters.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wear a size 14 - so I don't think I've ever spend less than $80 for a pair of shoes that fit.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
I wear a size 14 - so I don't think I've ever spent less than $80 for a pair of shoes that fit.

Hokey smokes Bullwinkle! My Dad was a size 14 AAA, and his choices were limited too. What are you using and how do you like 'em?

-Nealz
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't have a really good pair of shoes right now. I've been using a pair of Merrell mid boots, but I'm not very happy with them. They're about as good a pair as I've had in the last few years, but they are still rather loose across the middle of my foot (I also have a very low volume foot).

I did some searching on the internet a while back and found a guy that makes custom boots based on a cast of your foot - I saw the wares and he looks like a real craftsman. Unfortunately he only makes more backpacking style boots and they cost $800. Shocked Not something I'm prepared to pay at this time.

Meanwhile, the search for a pair of shoes that fit a 14 B and provide support for a 6'4" 220lb hiker goes on. Sad

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, Daddee, check out LLBean. My foot can't double as a water ski, but it's really narrow; I can wear an A in some shoes. Bean has boots in sizes like the Cresta Hiker I use and I could have done the GC backpack with Todd and Stan wearing those suckers right out of the box.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I haven't ever checked out the Bean - I'll head over there online right now.

Skis indeed. I have also referred to mine as "bannana boats."

- Abraham Lincoln
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

And think of all the money saved on snow shoes, Daddee Rolling Eyes
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Or skis for that matter.

Yea - right. I spend enough on shoes alone - I have two pair of dress shoes I wear to work (casual shoes actually) on a regular basis - searched high and low for a pair that fit - found one that cost $140 - and just because the fit - I bought two pair. When you find one that works - you spend the money and buy several, cause you never know when you'll be able to find another.

Average sized people suck.

- Abraham Lincoln
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 8:08 pm    Post subject: 14 AAs Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dadeeeeeee:

My advice would be to give Summit Hut in Tucson a call. Their 800 number is on their website. I'd ask for Dana Davis, the manager; or her husband Jeremy. They have all bootfitters trained in the Dr. Phil Oren boot fitting methods. They may be able to suggest specific models that fit narrow low volume feet, which could be tried on locally. When they do a foot measurement they take over a half hour. But they tend to catch all the details and measure you both loaded and unloaded. The margaritas alone are worth the trip. rofl Seriously, they measure the foot with a pack on to gauge the foot expansion or elongation.

BoyNHisDog and I have touted them for some time. It's true they are far from the cheapest, but their staff is very experienced, and well trained.

Hurting feet are not a good thing, especially for us Big & Tall folks (Ok, you're big, I'm just old and fat. -R
ck1

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know my buddy swears by his New Balance trail runners because of the sizing.(opposite of yours, his feet are way small)..I don't like them personally, but they do have a variety of hikers along with the trail runners...and I know they have tons of sizes...as for dress shoes...ever tried ECCO?

Arizona Walking Shop has a huge selection, it's on Main I think, in Mesa...

But, as far as the $20 shoe...I did that for my 1st year out here...looked for the cheap shoe...never again...the more you spend, in most cases, the better the quality....I think I went through 5 pairs in one year buying the $20-$50...now, buying the $100, I replace them just about every 11 months (Lowa Tempest)...

I'd love to do the trail runner thing, but haven't found a pair that can hold up under my 250+ lbs...

"The Journey is the Destination"
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

ever tried ECCO

Yea, I tried those once - not too bad; expensive, but not too bad. They really aren't a low-volume foot shoe either.
Quote:

I'd love to do the trail runner thing, but haven't found a pair that can hold up under my 250+ lbs...

I heard that! I go through athletic shoes (runners, cross trainers, you name it) pretty quickly just as a matter of course. I tried a trail runner once and was very dissappointed at the life of the shoe. I prefer to buy a little heavier (I'm not a very light hiker anyway) and just pay the extra money.

- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: