ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mountain House Hot Tip
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurtek

PostPosted: 4/2/2006, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We use our dehydrator and it works great. We had the best food on the backpack. There are a number of books out there on dehydrating too.

Another place to order freeze dried stuff is www.packlitefoods.com

I haven't tried their stuff, but it looks pretty good for freeze dried.
Cholla

PostPosted: 4/2/2006, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desert tarheel wrote:
can you really obtain the eat-a-bility with a dehydrator (which after all does not freeze-dry) that you can obtain with the commercial freeze-dried products? Cuz I can't. That's why, after years of dehydrating, I no longer bother. What is your secret?

Some foods dehydrate very well, others don't. I do not season (salt & pepper) or use any spices when dehydrating foods and season or add spices after rehydrating hamburger or vegetables. I season and add spices at the final stage of heating/cooking the meal. Also, cut vegetables in uniform, small pieces and blanche them first. That is cook them in boiling water for 2 - 3 minutes with a bit of lemon juice. The lemon juice will prevent discoloration when you dehydrate the food. After blanching your vegetables lay them out on a paper towel to absorb some of the liquid first.

Potatoes are very easy to do. Even if you don't compose an entire meal you can always add it to other meals you bring. They are high in potassium and add variety, nutrition, and bulk to many meals. Celery comes back chewy, but is still fiber in your diet. I don't mess with fruit as it readily available.

I haven't tried ground turkey yet, but observed great success with it by someone else on a recent trip. If you do hamburger, simply brown it with no salt and pepper and when cooked pour boiling water over it to rinse off the fat. Then lay it on the trays and it will dry very crumbly. By itself it comes back a bit chewy, but added to chili or spaghetti sauce you can hardly tell the difference.

I do all this because I enjoy it. However, I have seen a few Mountain House Meal recently that looked pretty good. Time for me to try a couple again. It's always good to have variety.

Now if anyone has great light weight ideas for lunch that is where I always lack imagination.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/2/2006, 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Now if anyone has great light weight ideas for lunch that is where I always lack imagination.

Same here, I started a thread about lunch on the trail a month or so ago, but nothing really stuck with me.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/3/2006, 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bagels and cream cheese, on a short hike--the cream cheese will keep pretty well except in hot weather. Also, that tuna in the flat foil packs like everyone talks about. And crackers. Apples, on a weekend hike when weight isn't a big deal.

My sons and I like braunschweiger. Surprise, surprise--nobody ever asks us to share it with them! But my daughter is going on this next hike with me, and she won't even try a taste of braunschweiger! So it'll be bagels, cream cheese, a few triscuits, and the tuna. And gorp. And gruntola bars. Gotta have those Nature Valley old fashioned CRUNCHY gruntola bars, original flavor. I don't like the newer, chewy, overly sweet kinds. They are way way too sweet for me! And I don't like the fact that they are chewy instead of being crunchy.

Just call me,

The old gruntola.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 4/3/2006, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elizabeth,
Is braunschweiger also known as liver sausage kinda like a pate consistency??
If it is I like it on Toasted bread..... Must be that old German part comin' out in me. Mom used to buy it and we made sandwichs for school. Nobody asked me to share either !!!!
Also had that on some kind of bread (think it was rye) when I was in Germany. They served all kinds of meats at breakfast.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 4/5/2006, 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Rice and Chicken is out of stock now. It is one of the low-fat meals. They are going fast. My crate should be here soon. Very Happy
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/5/2006, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, as for the braunschweiger, it is pork liver pate, spreadable sausage. It would be good on rye bread, but I prefer Ak-Mak crackers, those nerdy health food kind. I love those things!
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 4/5/2006, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

It would be good on rye bread

Oh no, you need white bread, mayonaise and yellow mustard or white bread, mayonaise and your favorite hot sauce. Mmmmmmmmmmm....

GTG
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/5/2006, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

White bread? Well, there's no accounting for taste..... But at least you're willing to eat braunschweiger!

By the way, the Spelling Police would like to comment that the two most oft misspelled words in English are "spaghetti" and "mayonnaise."

yoyo
GTG

PostPosted: 4/6/2006, 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

But at least you're willing to eat braunschweiger!

Braunschweiger is spelled "liverwurst" where I come from board hog. Wink
You're absolutely right about not having to share it though. How long have you kept that stuff out of the cold and not have it go bad?

GTG
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/6/2006, 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A couple of days. But I'm always with one of my sons when I take it along, so it doesn't last long, because they eat it all!

What's funny is I've never tried liverwurst. Isn't it a little different? Or not?

#1 Board Hog
yoyo
IGO

PostPosted: 4/6/2006, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
Quote:

But at least you're willing to eat braunschweiger!

Braunschweiger is spelled "liverwurst" where I come from board hog. Wink
You're absolutely right about not having to share it though. How long have you kept that stuff out of the cold and not have it go bad?

GTG

Oh. I think the old black folks back in Georgia used to call it Potty Meat. Am I correct?
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
GTG

PostPosted: 4/6/2006, 7:15 pm    Post subject: by-products and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I've never tried liverwurst. Isn't it a little different? Or not?

Every hunk of meat by-products from different factories is different, however I think they actually started out as different by-products and time and cultures bonded them into one. My relatives used to call it "goose liver" but I don't think there's any fowl involved in production, nor can I tell you whats' in that stuff. if you look at some of the brands, the large print on the label says 'Braunschweiger' and in smaller print underneath it says 'Liverwurst'.

Parts is parts.

Quote:

Oh. I think the old black folks back in Georgia used to call it Potty Meat.

you could be correct there but I think you're misinterpreting "Potty Meat" for 'Potted Meat'. Potted mead would include but not be limited to Underwood type canned meat products; deviled ham, potted meat, vienna sausage, SPAM, etc. etc. I could be wrong but I don't think I've ever heard it referred to as "Potty Meat".

One of the great things or annoying things about this site is that one thread subject merges into another. A post about scrimshaw will end up discussing dune buggy racing.

Parts is parts.

GTG
IGO

PostPosted: 4/6/2006, 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"Potted Meat".
Yeah man, tha wad I says dey be sayin' "Potty Meat".

I truly loved some of the old people there. I really did.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 4/6/2006, 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

and for the latter I'd go with the Beard bucket w/ 3-point harness

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: