ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Another Four Peaks Mother Lode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 4/1/2006, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Another Four Peaks Mother Lode Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well everyone, I did something today I said I wouldn't do, I completed the mother lode on the four peaks solo again, this time going south to north on the peaks.

It's crazy, last weekend after giving my dog a bath the four peaks popped into my head. As the week went on I thought about them almost non-stop. I didn't get out there when the snow came like I wanted, but now would be my chance although I wasn't expecting there to be much snow. I was just thinking of doing Brown's Peak and then maybe Peak #2. But after talking with my friend JC Friday night I was certain I would go for all of them. This time South to North as I've done them twice from the other direction. So I was all set. I got up and headed out early Saturday morning, what a way to spend April Fool's day, maybe I was the fool for thinking of this? I got to the trailhead just before 7a.m. and headed out. It was 40 degrees out according to my trusty temperature gauge in my Jeep. The wind was gusting and I knew it was going to be an adventure as I saw there was more snow still on the peaks than I thought there would be.

On Brown's trail there were a couple of trees that had just fallen along the trail. No problem, just go right over them. Before reaching the saddle there was still tons of snow coming down the slopes and I was almost thinking with what I had on I wouldn't be able to do all four. But kept on going anyway. I reached the saddle and then headed along the Amethyst trail towards the mine and Peak #4, the first one I would go up. I was on the shaded west side of the peaks and with the wind blowing like it was it was a cold one. Good thing I was wearing shorts. No problem, I had my jacket and beanie on. Along the way water was running down from the mountain giving me a new sound to the blowing wind. Then as I reached the mine there was complete silence, the wind stopped and all I could hear was my footsteps and breath. I looked up at what I was about to do, the chute going up between peaks 3 & 4, there was still good patches of snow so I was already beginning to wonder how this was going to go. I had my 3 foot stick with me I found in the Estrella's and had used for the ridgeline there, which works great for going up and down steep hillsides. It worked great in the snow today, just like my ice axe only well it was a stick. The snow patches were giving me no problems, in fact I went out of my way a couple times just to go up in them. I was flying up and before reaching the summit I stopped in a patch of sunlight to warm up a bit as my feet and lower legs were cold because of me going up in the snow. I looked over at the other peaks and all of a sudden a small plane flies right inbetween peaks 2 & 3, I was amazed at how low this plan was, I was level with it. I watched it fly by and then headed up. Awesome, just over 2 hours in and I was on the summit of peak #4, the first one for me today. The east sides of the mountains were snowless making it easy for me to decide to go ahead and go for the mother lode.

I worked my way down through some snow on #4 and got to where I thought wouuld be the best way to head up #3. I did a little rock climbing and then came to a part where I knew I had come down before the other 2 times. So I went up and then was pretty much able to remeber what I had done coming down to get up. I arrived on the summit of peak #3 an hour after leaving the summit of #4, very sweet. I took a look around and was enjoying every minute of the day. Then I went to go down and that's when I didn't like what I saw. Tons of snow on the NE side where I wanted to head down. Anyone who's been here knows how hard it is gettig up without the mountain being covered in snow. I took a deep breath and decided to start down in the snow anyway and see how it goes. It went slow for awhile, I wasn't able to remember the path I had come up with the snow cover, it gave the mountain a totally different look. So I just went down the best way I thought I could get down and arrived at a chute. That's it, that's the one I had come up before, now I know where I am. I was working my way down the ankle high snow then all of a sudden I was knee deep in snow. WOW, waist high in snow now on this steep way down, I was thinking "get to the side of the mountain now and get out of this" I did and went for the first patch of sunlight I could find to warm up. I got warmed and then continued on. I was now at the saddle of 2 & 3 and knew by looking at the slope the ways i had been down before. Should I go up that way? Yes

I get to the base of the very steep slope to head up peak #2. I was into it, I was able to find all the little ledges and holds I could and worked my way up the slope like spiderman. I was beginning to think these new shoes I had got were way better for this type of stuff since they are a half hiking half climbing shoe. Then I look up and see the section that gave me a good rush the last time I was here with George, Pete and Tim. (Remember Tim, you got a picture of me sliding down this rock with hundreds of feet of exposure?) lol. Should I even go up that? Lets see. I get up and decided to go for it, but first thing is first, take my pack off and haul it up with a rope as I want to climb up this without it. So that's what I did, climbed up this narrow and steep rock without too much of a problem, look down and see my glove on the ledge I started on. What??? It fell out of my pocket. Dang it, these are $70 gloves I have to get it. So I had to slide back down this rock like last time. Boy my adrenaline is pumping now. Put the glove away and climb back up this rock, pull my pack up enjoy the rush for a minute. I make my way and i'm up on the summit of Peak #2. Three down, Brown's to go.

I thought to myself, if I get down Peak 2 here i'm in good shape as it won't be hard to get up Brown's. So I head down. Again having to go through tons of snow as it was just in the parts that doesn't get much sunlight. I was enjoying it too much. I headed down way too far. I bushwhack over to what I thought was the spot I should be to head up Brown's but it doesn't look familiar to me at all. Wow I was way down the mountain. I didn't want to bushwhack all the way back up to the point I wanted to be so made up my mind to start climbing where I was. I was on the SE face of Brown's Peak. This was a climb to remember. Probably the most technical and difficult climbing I had done at any point in the Four Peaks. I was hanging on by my finger tips way too many times. Luckily I had no slips and was getting up at a good pace. I kept looking up and wondered if the summit was near. Then I looked over at the other peaks and saw I was almost even with them. I had to be close, I don't know if I can keep climbing like this too much longer, and I know that if I had to go down I would be in trouble. I reach over a rock and pull myself up. I see semi even ground, thank you four peaks goddess, the summit at last. YES, all four summits again. This time South to North and a majority of the trek in snow. I spent awhile on top of Brown's. Got some pictures and laid down for a minute or two to collect my thoughts as I laughed to myself. I got up and headed down, of course more snow in the chute on the way down but it didn't bother me, I knew I would be down and to the saddle soon and would have a good hike back down to my Jeep, and that's what it was. Back to the Jeep safe and sound and another Four Peaks Mother lode completed. I didn't see a single soul on the mountain today, it was just me. This is by far the most fun I've had hiking/climbing/bushwhacking whatever you want to call it in sometime. Just what I needed. I am so thrilled to have done this. Maybe going solo on the Four Peaks isn't a bad thing after all? I still wouldn't recommend to anyone though. But I had a blast. Four Peaks done both ways now. Is there anything else to do on them? Yes, do them with my best friend JC as they are now calling his name. Perhaps i'll be back sooner than I think? Hope you all enjoyed the write up. I'm still pumped up, I hope this even made sense, maybe I should proof read this now? enjoi and keep on trekking everyone.

Ken

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 4/1/2006, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pretty cool, gave me an adrenaline rush reading it. Reminded me of the past weekend as we were climbing the cracks in the cave. Foot on either wall, reach for the handhold, look down the limit of your light. How deep, could be 30 could be 100 feet of air under your boots. Maneuver your pack up and hold on.

Some things, places, you never get tired of.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/1/2006, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way to go Ken, your definitely nuts! My favorite hike to date was just going up Browns 2 years ago in knew to waist deep snow at times. That was a blast. It's funny how the Peaks can make what you would normally consider an easy part complicated. Congrats!

Did you get any pictures?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/1/2006, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Obviously the snow changes things a bit, but which way did you like going better. North to South or South to North? Did you find it easier to route find one way or the other, or is it just more familiar terrain to you now?

I'm laughing to myself trying to picture you when you see your glove on the rock. That section especially, I don't know if I could even make it up that spot. That is a great picture of you coming down there when we did it. One of my favorites.
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 4/1/2006, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim I got loads of pictures, I think I took around 60? The terrain is a little more familiar to me now, but again the snow made places I thought I knew look totally different. I liked going South to North better for the reason that when you head down the last peak you don't have to hike back so far, you're already at Brown's saddle. lol Both ways are great, I think today was just so awesome because of the snow factor. I could have do without going up the SE face on Brown's though, that wasn't in the plan. And yeah that place where you got my picture last time, going up wasn't as bad as sliding down that darn thing again to get my glove before it blew away. YIKES!!!!!

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 4/1/2006, 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good write-up Ken!

I said I won't do it again, but who knows. Maybe a solo is in my future.

My $.02 is the south-to-north is the way to go. Climbing the south east sides of Browns is definitely challenging. I've done it both up and down a few times, but never exactly the same route twice.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 4/2/2006, 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thank you

I want to shine!
KIM*

PostPosted: 4/3/2006, 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice, challenging hike!!!
Great write up.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 4/3/2006, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way to go Ken. I was wondering about the snow up there. I will be returning soon.

Quote:

Sounds like a nice, challenging hike!!!

It is much more than just a hike, it falls into a category all by itself. LOL Beam me up Beam me up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: