ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Delorme Version 6.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGO

PostPosted: 3/29/2006, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Delorme Version 6.0 Reply to topic Reply with quote

New release. "Supports Garmin USB GPS" This is wonderful news. Delorme is by far my favorite PC topo maps. I'd be thrilled to have my recorded tracs show easily on my Delorme Desktop.
http://www.delorme.com/topousa/whatsnew.asp
Also something very cool for us web building geeks: "New in this version, this easy-to-use program lets you link your digital photographs to a GPS log so you can see exactly where and when you took a picture along your trip"
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 3/30/2006, 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very cool IGO. I too like the Delorme topos. Just wished their handheld software didn't suck so badly!!
IGO

PostPosted: 3/30/2006, 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've never seen anybodys handheld except Garmins I don't think. It's not worth a hoot to navigate by on a 2 inch screen either.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 3/30/2006, 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm talking about a handheld PC (PocketPC). The display is very good. Delorme for handhelds ISN'T! Garmin's and NG's software is much better.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/31/2006, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

With GPS. I woder of the compass will go the way of the sextant.
IGO

PostPosted: 3/31/2006, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nighthiker wrote:
With GPS. I woder of the compass will go the way of the sextant.

I made it a point many years ago to be well acquainted with map and compass. A funny thing is that in desert canyon country, I don't need a compass. I use maps regularly but I never need a compass. I know if I started the day heading up or into the sun, I always know the way back at days end. I know the sun makes a low E/W sweep in the sky in winter and a high sweep in summer. I know the basic run of the terrain I hike in.
I’ve need compass in the Sierra Nevada and Appalachia but never in the desert. Hmmmm.
Now I’ve enjoyed my GPS toy a bunch and have done many things with it but I’ve never used it to find my way to someplace. I’ve used it to stay out later by backtracking exactly the way I went in while exploring but I’ve never depended on it to get me out there. It would also seem to me that there are an inordinate number of artful dreamers in the eco recreation world. There will always be those of us who walk by art of sun and stars. I expect there are sailors who will always use the sextant as well.
I also try to rarely use flashlights at camp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: