ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Campsite for a large group

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/19/2006, 12:11 pm    Post subject: Campsite for a large group Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm needing a little help.

My church congregation wants to do a "Father & Son's" campout - which would be about 20 or so families with kids anywhere from 1 - 17 yrs old (obviously car-camping is the way to go). The weekend is planned for April 7th.

Anyway - we're looking for a good spot where we can have easy access for cars, plenty of room for tents, and close enough to the valley so that it won't be terribly hot, and not too far of a drive. But, by nature of the group we're bringing we'd like to be fairly isolated from any other groups (for the safety of the kids). If we could have a campfire that would be a big bonus.

A tall order, I know. Any suggestions?

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 3/19/2006, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Camp Geronimo is a boy scout camp near the Mogollon rim just past Payson. They have all types of facilities there and they can accomodate large groups. It is used by the boy scouts but mainly from June to August. Other times it can be reserved by private parties.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/19/2006, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Catalina State Park has large group campsites and is often used for such as you describe. It's just north of Tucson, you can get there from the east side of the Valley quickly by way of the Florence Highway.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/19/2006, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Since weather is going to be the wild card, check with the parents as to the type of camping gear and what activites are you planning. Along the Mogollon Rim expect temp. at night to be near freezing.

For campgrounds I would suggest Ponderosa or Christopher Creek (1st. choice), both located east of Payson apx. 15 and 18 miles. These two campgrounds open the first part of April, but listed May 1st.

For dispersed camping in the area I would suggest the Control road (Forest Road 64) west of AZ 260 and Forest Road 405A, east from Little Green Valley abour 14 miles East of Payson.

North of the valley, West Clear Creek Campground SE of Camp Verde, but not sure if open at that time. Dead Horse State Park in nearby Cottonwood is a very good campground, with fishing, hiking and mtn. biking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: