ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
black and blue toenail
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 9/29/2011, 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here's a good one...........molting my toenails again. It seems to be a semi-annual event for me but this time.......I've got black and blue regrowth, too!
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 9/30/2011, 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

See a foot Dr.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/30/2011, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Now that doesn't sound pleasant.... I agree with Nighthiker. Better to play it safe than sorry later. At least you'd know where you stand and how best to nip it in the bud if you need to.

Could be you damaged the nail bed farther back and it is gonna take longer to re-grow out with normal coloring.

But then if you look on the bright side, you won't have to paint your nails, you already have a pretty blue shade ! Sorry just trying to lighten the tone here, Bad Me.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/3/2011, 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am going to lose both of my big toenails after doing Pt. Huitzil/Royal Arch Loop. Just got back an hour ago! It was a great trip!! My boots must have broken down to the point they no longer hold my foot in place.

I wore Tevas on the Tonto and S. Bass. I won't be able to wear ANY shoes, just flipflops and sandals, for awhile. There is lots of swelling underneath the toenail. Good thing I no longer have a job that requires enclosed shoes. I'd have to call in sick! Mr. Green
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 10/3/2011, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh Wow, what's up with toes these days... Yikes! You guys make me feet hurt... the Phantom Toe syndrome...

Hope you both heal quicker than normal

azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/4/2011, 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Me too. I'm thinking if the swelling doesn't go down today I'll go to the doctor.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 10/4/2011, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I too did a dumb thing. I was in the canyon a couple of weeks ago and wore some shoes that I had bought for a royal arch hike. Messed up a toe on that trip because I tied them badly one day of the hike.

Anyway, my toes bagan to really hurt below the redwall. I tied and retied my shoes many times to no avail. After awhile I started to get clumsy trying to curl my toes up in the shoes and landed on my rear. I decided to have a look at the toes and lo and behold I had not cut my toenails. Iknow you will find that hard to believe with all the cut your nails preaching I have done for years . So.... I got out my handy pocket knife and cut and filed for awhile and life was good again.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/8/2011, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just ordered a new pair of Vasque Breeze GTX boots, one of only a couple hiking boots available in my size. The boots I had been wearing on the Royal Arch hike were older, and were Lowas. I used to always wear Vasque boots, so I hope these will work for me. They don't make trail shoes in my size, although Salomons come close--they are pretty narrow.

Meanwhile, I'm still wearing Tevas and wool socks.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 10/9/2011, 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

New Balance and Dunham footwear and Wigwam socks no foot grief yet, though Dunham has quit making hiking footwear.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/9/2011, 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've tried those brands, they don't have my size. Or, well, I get the shoe in the mail and the label says it's my size, 10.5 or 11 narrow (2A), but the last is actually very wide. So, I send the shoe back. This has happened to me several times. Everything is made in China now. I hope Vasque is still truly narrow--I think they are also made in China now. Looking forward to getting them in the mail.
Suz

PostPosted: 10/13/2011, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm sure my toenail "blues" are caused by my 5.10 Canyoneers.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/13/2011, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wear Vasque and had quite narrow feet up until now.... Now I am in trouble because I have that ugly bunion thing going on now on my lt foot which changes the shape of the foot completely! Not sure what will be appropriate from this point on..... dunno

I want to shine!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 10/14/2011, 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

my feet are medium but have narrow heel and Vasque were always too narrow across but heel fit great.
I've boughten Lowa and they seem to work well for me having enough width but still narrow in heel area, so the heel didn't side up/down and rub. You might try a Lowa to see if that works for you.

Thank goodness I haven't gotten that bunion problem thing, so far anyway crossed fingers

Unfortunatley you'll have to quit wearing those spiked heeled shoes Laughing

azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/16/2011, 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lowas are what caused the problem. Size 11 but not long enough. They are narrow enough. And they don't make them any longer than 11.

I just got the Vasque Breeze boots in the mail. They are kind of wide, although they are labeled narrow, but they are longer than the Lowas of the same size. Vasque boots are not anywhere as good as they used to be. I am debating whether to keep them. I don't have time until later this week, but will take them to an outdoor store and see about some thicker insoles. Come to think of it, I may still have the extra-thick insoles from the ill-fated Merrell experiment. I got rid of the shoes, kept the insoles.

Also could wear double socks. I have a very heavy pair of Vasque Wasatch boots that fit me fine with thicker insoles and two pairs of socks. And yes, they are labeled "narrow" as well. They are great for winter hiking and snowshoeing.

Oddly enough, I wear a 9 in Tevas and Chacos.
Suz

PostPosted: 10/20/2011, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've decided to paint the skin so now it looks like I have a full set of toenails and I can't see what color they are Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: