ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
black and blue toenail
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 3/24/2006, 8:31 am    Post subject: black and blue toenail Reply to topic Reply with quote

As I have been left with slightly numb.asleep toes and especially big toe on my left foot, after hike on Quartz Ridge(40th/Shea) my big toe ached all the way down the mt.and is now sort of bruised and blaskish under the nail...Will it come off?I know some of you mentioned this happening on treks, but it's my first and this toe is numb, but painful as a result of the disc injury, so it's hard for me to tell. Question
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/24/2006, 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know this is gross, thus the small photo.

George this is the current status of some of my toenails and they feel just fine now.
You may or may not loose your nail.

Do they look like this. ROFL, LOL

Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 3/24/2006, 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Two issues
1) Treatment
2) Prevention

Here is some info from the internet on treatment
http://www.myfootshop.com/detail.asp?Condition=Runner's%20Nail
Key Words: runner's nail, subungual hemotoma, walker's nail, bruising of the nail, trauma to the toe nail
Quote:
The physical appearance of runner’s nail is a bruise (subungual hematoma) that encompasses part or all of the nail. Often the bruise is asymptomatic. Again, that leads to the confusion of how and why the condition occurred in the first place. What happens in most instances is that the foot slides forward in the shoe and the nail is subjected to damage by hitting against the inner toe box of the shoe. The more this event is repeated, the greater the chance for disruption of the nail and bruising.

Treatment of runner’s nail is broken down into two stages. The first stage, or acute stage, is the management of any infection surrounding the outer edge of the nail. The first stage lasts approximately a week. If possible, any bleeding beneath the nail should be drained to relieve pressure beneath the nail. The second stage of care can last 3-12 months depending upon the degree of initial injury. During this stage, a portion or all of the nail may fall off. During this time it’s extremely important to apply a topical antifungal lotion to the nail to inhibit fungal infections of the nail. Try to keep the nail in place as long as possible. Keep the nail clean and dry. Avoid wearing a Band-Aid for prolonged periods. A Band-Aid will trap moisture in and around the nail and promote fungal infections. Also avoid using topical anti-bacterial medication. Antibacterials can promote overgrowth of fungus.

Tips on prevention:
1) boots that fit properly
2) socks
3) ballet dancer toe gels. As you might imagine, ballet dancers on point a lot get this problem a lot and have various pads and gel pads to prevent any problems. Find a dance shop near you and talk with them.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 3/24/2006, 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Niiiiiiice, AZHeat. Niiiiiiiice...

Kerouac
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/24/2006, 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Tips on prevention:
1) boots that fit properly
2) socks
3) ballet dancer toe gels. As you might imagine, ballet dancers on point a lot get this problem a lot and have various pads and gel pads to prevent any problems. Find a dance shop near you and talk with them

My black toenails are not a result of any of the above prevention methods.
#4 should be added to read gracefullness on the trail

Instead of being as graceful as a gazelle, mine are a result of an amazing display of klutz-ism and stubbing my toes on a rock while running down the trail, a rock that refused to budge an inch and made me yell out OWEEEEEEEE Exclamation Crazy Crazy Crazy Beam me up Beam me up Beam me up Beam me up
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 3/24/2006, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ouch! Never had any but I have seen some who did and they eventually fall off.
DesertDog

PostPosted: 3/24/2006, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
I know this is gross, thus the small photo.

George this is the current status of some of my toenails and they feel just fine now.
You may or may not loose your nail.

Do they look like this. ROFL, LOL

This photo is making my pet vulture drool uncontrollably..... Shocked
Suz

PostPosted: 3/24/2006, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh MY HECK!!! CaptainToes......YOU WIN! Those are the worst toes I have ever seen! Kent...........what were you thinking? YIKES! Did you not use those ballerina toe gel things that you suggested to me?

My big toes looked pretty similar to these after my all time favorite hike! Only 2 not all 10 toes! I worried that I would have damaged toes for life! What's a sandal wearing chick to do? The toenails finally fell off about a month ago in a painless way. (that's 5 months of grossness) I did find that soaking them while sitting in the hot tub was a good thing. I think I emailed pictures around to a few friends. The hiking friends reassured me that all was well and simply welcomed me to the wonderful world of damaged toes. The non-hiking friends weren't sure what they were looking at! I'm happy to report that MY toes are on the road to recovery and I'm expecting to get my first pedicure since the injury in another couple of months----just in time for the sexy summer sandals. Multi

My advice would be to just try to relax and enjoy the molting process. Wink
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 3/24/2006, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote
Quote:
Instead of being as graceful as a gazelle, mine are a result of an amazing display of klutz-ism

I advised Georgaz to look for toe gels at a dance studio.
I would advise you to consider taking some ballerina lessons from a dance studio near you ROFLMAO Multi Spinning on my head
IGO

PostPosted: 3/24/2006, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What the heck does that?
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 3/24/2006, 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks,all. Heat,mine doesn't look quite like yours(eek). Will try soaking and ballet gel(did use that eons ago in dance class.) Sometimes those downhill rocks don't feel so good!
beckett

PostPosted: 3/25/2006, 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

May I add that soaking in a pure soap like Dreft soap, two times a day will help the healing speed up. The Gels will help but also if you go to a foot doctor he could put an insert in the top of your shoe. In warmer weather I walk a lot and when my nails began to turn like that, he inserted something to keep my feet from sliding. Good luck.
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/25/2006, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was running wind sprints at the high school football field bare foot. Snaged a water spinkler head between my big toe and the second toe. Ground came up pretty fast and did a carrier landing. Did not note ant pain right away because it knocked the wind out of me.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 3/27/2006, 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You could also try putting something like superfeet in your shoes. They are replacement for your standard insoles. I was skeptical at first but we get a lot of people in the shop who's doctors have sent them in because they cost less than custom orthostics but do the job for most people. If your skeptical you should give them a try next time your in a shop that sells them, most places will let you try on a pair for a while. they are a bit expensive but i think they are well worth the money for the pain they spare you.

One other thing, if you do get them you need to give them a break in period just like a boot. I wore mine for the entire day the first day and the next morning my whole body was sore. After that I wore them for an hour or two at a time in intervals, now I don't know what I did without them.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 3/27/2006, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with the Super feet advice, I buy them and use them but hadn't heard about the break in, just put them in and never thought about em again; till it was time to replace them. I think the main thing is how well your shoes fit. My Raichle's are expensive and they wear out all too soon in my opinion, but they fit. I often think of finding other shoes, lighter, cheaper, more durable etc. but keep loving the fit. Superfeet, liner socks, thick sox, good boots. Problem solved.

Hope this doesn't jinx it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: