ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Supplements
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/18/2006, 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually I do use those silly little things--Clif Shots--made by the Clif Bar company. They are expensive, I know. And the guy at the bike shop told me these other ones, Honey Stingers, are a lot better for you. But I don't LIKE Honey Stingers very much, so there! I like Mocha Clif Shots and also the Chocolate. Have tried most of the other flavors, too. They have electrolyte replacement, carbs, and the mochas have caffeine! Anyway, they work well for fast hard hikes and bike rides, where you are really burning energy. I would sometimes "crash" on these trips, about 3/4 of the way through, before I started using the clif shots. There is probably a cheaper way to get these quick pick-me-up nutrients, but the clif shots are convenient to use.

They should hire me to promote them! thumbs up Razz
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 3/18/2006, 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
I generally try to stay true to my evolutionary heritage which means I eat whatever I bring. If it's a long hike I take along some kind of electrolyte replacement such as poweraid. I haven't found that I need a particular mix of carbs or protein for a hike. Plus, my body has enough stored energy (fat) to get me by for awhile if needed. Smile
Like Geo I eat whatever plus a whole lot of flora along the trail, like the ancients. Usually, I do fresh fruits and veggies, etc. because they're 90% water along with the nutrients. Our livers store about 100 calories, which is about an hour at average marathon runner's pace. After that as Geo mentioned, we go into fat conversion. That conversion is way more efficient, in terms of energy yield.

Having done 18, 19, 22, and 25+ day hikes the last few weeks (plus a bunch more), I found that the next day recovery, and the "let's go get it..." motivation were closely coupled with diet and the previous day's quality of nutrition.

Conditioning, is a super-big factor, in that it makes alll the processes more efficient. If you've built your fitness base, no supplements are necessary.

A multi-vitamin every day plus cereals, grains, plenty of water, etc. is about it. The point being that energy reserves are determined by the previous three, or so, day's nutrients and hydration.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 3/19/2006, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

A multi-vitamin every day plus cereals, grains, plenty of water, etc. is about it. The point being that energy reserves are determined by the previous three, or so, day's nutrients and hydration.

Very cool bro, I agree with everything you said. I have also been learning alot about the values in the flora in our region. Someone shared some profound knowledge with me on treks of the ancient ones and how requirements were satisfied. People that went many miles with heavy loads at times over many types of terrains, over days, weeks, months, whatever. Nutrition found around them, not online or at the GNC. Not so much in what or how much of fancy scientific formulas, but in the training of superior storage capabilities. Training, like you said and conditioning, and the ability to store and distribute when needed. As someone who logs 65 plus miles a week working and then hiking and other activities I can appreciate these types of philosophies. In fact I picked up some great supplements about 100 yards from a trailhead on a recent hike. Cheaper too Laughing
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/19/2006, 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hate to be the devil's advocate here, but I think one should be cautious about eating wild foods found along the trail. The reason is that we are used to eating certain foods. The Hohokam and Tohono O'odham of ancient days were used to eating the desert foods, and this diet suited them. If we try to eat what we find in the desert, mesquite beans, etc., we can get very ill from this. Or if not extremely ill, we can get diarrhea, which will cause dehydration--not a good thing in the desert! Not everyone, of course, will have a bad reaction, but I feel one should use caution. Perhaps try some of these foods at home if you enjoy experimenting. See if you tolerate them.

I learned this from a very old man with whom I did a lot of hiking during the 90's around Tucson. His name is Roy Barker--he was my kids' Scoutmaster, but for many years (and maybe even now) he has been a docent at Sabino Canyon.
Suz

PostPosted: 3/19/2006, 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW wrote:
I eat whatever plus a whole lot of flora along the trail

Stunned Say What? Wacko
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/19/2006, 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Should we avoid hiking behind you? Very Happy
azhiker96

PostPosted: 3/19/2006, 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
I hate to be the devil's advocate here, but I think one should be cautious about eating wild foods found along the trail. The reason is that we are used to eating certain foods. ..... we can get diarrhea, which will cause dehydration--not a good thing in the desert! Not everyone, of course, will have a bad reaction, but I feel one should use caution. Perhaps try some of these foods at home if you enjoy experimenting. See if you tolerate them.

Not bad advice. I've seen the same thing said for supplements especially those with lots of vitamin C. Practice LNT Hiking Wink

Personally I've found my metabolism does pretty well with almost anything people consider as food. I don't ever recall having a problem when eating a new (to me) fruit, nut, flora, or fauna. I did have a problem one time with some old fried chicken I bought in AJ but I don't think they cooked it thoroughly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: