ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Supplements
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/17/2006, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Supplements Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does anyone mess with dietary supplements before hikes like:

- Creatine (or creatine-like substances)
- Branch-chain amino acids (Glutamine, etc.)

Creatine before a hike seems kind of 50/50 - it helps with muscle recovery, but it does that through enhancing a muscle's ability to retain water and rebuid, therefore causing you to up your water intake to keep pace.

Branch-chain amino acids seem like a good thing as they tend to enhance muscle endurance and speed recovery.

Any experience with either of these subsances or similar stuff?

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/17/2006, 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does double espresso count?
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 3/17/2006, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

After playing football, I can say that you want to stay away from almost all of the supplement like creatine. I never did any of them, but the people I knew who did them said it wasn't worth it. Most of supplements arn't entirely FDA approved anyways, only certain ingredients are, so your best bet would to just avoid em.

Kerouac
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/17/2006, 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know a lot of people, mostly mtn. bikers, who use that stuff. The jury's still out, though, as fairweather said, as to if they work or have some harmful side effect. It seems like as soon as you get excited about some supplement, then they find out it's no good.

In my case it was mostly stuff for memory loss, being of an age when such things start to happen! They did some research and it came out that ginghko biloba, which I had been taking, was "no more effective than yard dirt" to quote one of the scientists. Right now I'm taking a bunch of stuff for high cholesterol and bone density loss, and I expect any minute I'll be told none of it has any benefit!
Hnak

PostPosted: 3/17/2006, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

And I'll bet that yard dirt is a lot more inexpensive, and probably tastes just as good.... Hmmmm..... Say What?
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/17/2006, 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We used Perpetuem and Endurolyters for our 50 mile ultra. I have also used this on our longer hikes 20-30 mile day hikes. Also used it on our 100 mile backpack.
I swear by this stuff, it makes you maintain a constant energy level and mental level. No highs and lows.

You can read about it here it is truly good stuff. Very popular among endurance athletes and cyclists

http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=PRODUCT&CAT=NUTRI&PROD.ID=4047&adui=ad%2C1512.catpREC%2CGeneral%20Ad%20-%20Perpetuem-%20Category%3AProteins%20%26%20Recovery
pfredricks

PostPosted: 3/17/2006, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Creatinine would be an awful thing to take before a hike. Creatinine pulls water into the muscles away from where it would normally be. Creatinine also needs to be flushed with lots of water or it can shut the kidneys down pronto. There have been several documented instances as such.
Since hiking is such a prolonged activity and the chances of dehydration are pretty substantial, it wouldnt be worth it-not even close.
Creatinine would basically only be beneficial for short term burst of energy, not long term-so it would be of about zero benefit to you on a hike.
GLutamine you could take AFTER the hike-Or you could eat some protein-like a steak or something-(steak also has plenty of creatine)
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 3/17/2006, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

And whats not to love about a thick juicy steak, Durants!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/17/2006, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, but I thought folks were taking the creatine AFTER the exercise. At least, that's what my mtn. biker friends were doing.

That stuff Arizonaheat was talking about sounds like it might be good.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/17/2006, 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with Pete about taking creatinine supplements as this can lead to a high serum creatinine level and permanently damage the kidneys. Creatinine is actually a breakdown of creatine phosphate and is usually produced at a constant rate within the body. Men tend to produce more creatinine due to more muscle mass. Don't know much about Glutamine excpet that it's a non essential amino-acid and is produced by the body. So if you're eating a proper diet, you should be getting plenty of this.

I've always taken a B-complex supplement which helps with my energy level, muscle and nerve function. It's water soluble vitamin so it's excreted in urine, sweat, etc and not metabolized by the liver so it's safe to take.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
IGO

PostPosted: 3/17/2006, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Does double espresso count?

Triple stack with Maple syrup. Cram down the carbs and walk for a month. LOL.
Actually, I take a multi vitamin everyday. I take an aspirin every other day and I eat somewhat reasonably. I get plenty of exercise and 7 hours sleep each night and don't worry myself over a bunch of other things.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/17/2006, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What about the biscuits and gravy, IGO? Lotta carbs, lotta fat, keep you going!
IGO

PostPosted: 3/17/2006, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
What about the biscuits and gravy, IGO? Lotta carbs, lotta fat, keep you going!

'bout the same horsepower as a Double Expresso. LOL.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
azhiker96

PostPosted: 3/17/2006, 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I generally try to stay true to my evolutionary heritage which means I eat whatever I bring. If it's a long hike I take along some kind of electrolyte replacement such as poweraid. I haven't found that I need a particular mix of carbs or protein for a hike. Plus, my body has enough stored energy (fat) to get me by for awhile if needed. Smile
IGO

PostPosted: 3/17/2006, 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
I generally try to stay true to my evolutionary heritage which means I eat whatever I bring. If it's a long hike I take along some kind of electrolyte replacement such as poweraid. I haven't found that I need a particular mix of carbs or protein for a hike. Plus, my body has enough stored energy (fat) to get me by for awhile if needed. Smile

Yeah! What he said!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: