ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
gluten free trail food

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARIZONA GUIDE

PostPosted: 4/30/2007, 2:51 pm    Post subject: gluten free trail food Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well i have an intolerance to anything that has gluten in it. Some one told me that the trail food makers are starting to make a gluten free trail food Or backpacker food. Does anyone have any info on this for me. I have found a few of the meals that do not contain it such as the scrambled Eggs And one of the chiken and rice meals. So far what i have done is the bumble bee chiken packets and uncle been rice. Both can just be boiled in water while still in there packages. it gets them plenty warm for eating, But the same thing evry night gets old.

Thanks for any help on this.

Gluten is in alot of stuff. It is mostly a by product of wheat.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 4/30/2007, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Seasoned Ry Krisp does not contain wheat but I am not sure if it is totally gluten free. You might give it a look. We have taken them for years. Tai Kitchen soups have rice noodles, are light weight and good. Another thing you might consider is making/packaging your own food. That way you only get what you put in the package. There are some very good backcountry cookbooks out there and some older ones that are still as good as they were new. Some things might take a few minutes of simmering but the ingredients are dry and light. If there is no fire danger or restrictions and it is in an appropriate place to do so we cook over a tiny fire with some Purcell Trench Stix to support the Titan kettle. It is very easy, only takes minimal fuel and the fire can be laid down in minutes.

or you take a normal little stove and lots of fuel depending on your time in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: