ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
So what does everyone eat for lunch on the trail during?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 2:59 pm    Post subject: So what does everyone eat for lunch on the trail during? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm just wondering what everyone eats for lunch on the trail, in perticular on a backpack.

Myself, I've been going with the flavored Tuna's in a tortilla. My favorites are the Hickory Smoked or Zesty Lemon Pepper.

I'm just looking for some new ideas for some easy trail food!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: So what does everyone eat for lunch on the trail during? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
I'm just wondering what everyone eats for lunch on the trail, in perticular on a backpack.

Myself, I've been going with the flavored Tuna's in a tortilla. My favorites are the Hickory Smoked or Zesty Lemon Pepper.

I like TnT's (Tuna in Tortilla) as well as PBJnT (Peanut Butter Jelly in Tortilla)..Shorter backpacks can be suffered with assortment of bars, cheezeits, potato chips and Trail mix. I hae tried chiken sald as well but they dont seem to come in convenient light weight packs like the Tuna.

I think on extend backpacks -- the caorific combination of Tunan' Tortilla cant be beat! Very Happy
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

pita lasts a good long while, while we hiked Havasu pita wrapped around roast beef with cole slaw worked good.

Tuna sounds fantastic, I make it with egg noodles and added flour to "stew" up the juice.Adding a Ramen shrimp flavor PACKET will make a neat soup for 2. Add dehydrated peas, corn, carrots for color (sprout's)

Sunflower seeds are great snacks providing salts, weight is minimal. FUN to eat!!

you can get aged salmon at Fry's and put it on Carr's crakers with pepper jack cheese... OMG Salt Cellar eat your heart out!

what i do
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: So what does everyone eat for lunch on the trail during? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:

Sorry Tim I take the exact same tuna flavors in the foil packs and have found nothing better. We have used tuna for our travel food for years whether it be backpacking up here or trekking in Mexico. Down there you just get it in tins so the swiss army knife is a must with the canopener. The only difference when we backpack is we put it on Seasonded Rye Crisps but south of the border it is tortillas all the way. A little trail mix of dried fruits, nuts and seeds for desert and it is a substantial trail meal with some hot tea.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Flat packs of albacore tuna and I bring those little packets of mayo to mix in with WW pita is the best. I love the red beans and rice by Mountain House and bring the flat pack of shrimp, some add'l Cajun seasoning and I have "almost" Jambalaya! Hard boiled eggs last a few days on the trail as does Canadian bacon (I precook it and wrap it in foil). Protein for breakfast seems to fill me up more and last longer than carbs. Idahoan instant potatoes. Beef Jerky and trail mix. I miss fresh fruit and it's way too heavy to take on a backpack so I rely on banana chips and dried apricots.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Cholla

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like Cup Noodle for lunch. I repack it in a ziplock sandwich bag and dump it into my REI insulated mug. You have to heat about 12 ounces of water, but I use an alcohol burner and the additional fuel carried is minimal. It depends on how long you stop for lunch though. It forces you to take a decent break and you will be rehydrated when you hit the trail again.

I made Moose Goo (peanut butter, honey, and corn flour) and had that with Pita bread on the White Tanks hike. It tastes fine, but I didn't feel satisfied afterwards. Not sure if I'll bring it on a backpacking trip or not.

Trail mix made with honey nut Chex, almonds, banana chips, dried apple, dried apricots, and Reeses pieces sometimes are part of lunch as well as an all day snack. Almonds and dried apricots are high in potassium.
IGO

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Day hiking or BPing, I eat a hand full of no-imagination gorp here and there throughout the day. Maybe some beef jerky for salt. Maybe a power bar or granola bar for a sit down. That's pretty much how all my meals are on the trail. Gives me an excuse to buy a $30 pizza after a week in the Canyon and eat it for 5 hours on the way back to Vegas. Silly
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What is this tuna stuff you guys keep talking about? How do I come by it?
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go here, http://www.starkist.com/
Click on "Product', 'Starkist Tuna Creations'. Should be available at your local supermarket.
IGO

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike wrote:
Go here, http://www.starkist.com/
Click on "Product', 'Starkist Tuna Creations'. Should be available at your local supermarket.

No kiddin'! That looks great. A little of that and my Lipton rice and I've got a great meal. Thanks.
Would you happen to have the name of the Coffee Diane was touting about a couple months ago? That seems like something I've got to try as well.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:

Look in supermarket where they sell canned tuna fish. Starkist has a whole line of tuna, shrimp and salmon in flat packets. They weigh something like 3-5 ounces and more than 20 gms of protein.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
IGO

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
IGO wrote:

Look in supermarket where they sell canned tuna fish. Starkist has a whole line of tuna, shrimp and salmon in flat packets. They weigh something like 3-5 ounces and more than 20 gms of protein.

Mr. Green

Wonderful Wonderful Wonderful. That's probably the most significant in BP food since the dehydrater. If Dianes coffee is that good, I'm never coming home.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't remember what coffee Diane uses but I bring along a lexan java press and fresh ground Starbucks coffee on my backpack trips. Call it my luxury item but I do love a good cup of coffee in the AM.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=13634

Mr. Green

MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish, remove the rubber base, the handle and use a clean sock for a cozy, your in for some good coffee. As mentioned above, it will be under 4 ounces.

what i do
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mix with a packet of Mayo/Miracle & some cashew pieces & slap on a tortilla or pita.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: