ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
So what does everyone eat for lunch on the trail during?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://javette.com/home.html

http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=7581

Here's two choices for ya IGO. I have only tried the Javette and loved its convenience and the taste was pretty good considering the weight savings and small size.... I am gonna send in a minimus order if I can ever get my lazy butt organized and decide what all I want to order... I will let ya know how the stuff from minimus tastes after I have tasted it. I most likely won't ever go back to any of the other coffee gimmicks for a back pack these little packets just work oh so well!

I want to shine!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tuna with honey BBQ sauce from Chick-fil-et, PB&J, and I am dying to try out some of the recipes in my new back packing cook book as soon as I get me a dehydrator! Then there is always the ever popular mixture of crap to include trail mix....energy bars..... and one of my favorites prosecutor bars! I have tried the moose goo that Cholla talks of and liked it but it was pretty heavy!

I want to shine!
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SPAM & Powergels!!! hehehe

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
Cholla

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

<<Tuna with honey BBQ sauce from Chick-fil-et, PB&J, and I am dying to try out some of the recipes in my new back packing cook book>>

IS SOMEBODY HAVING A BABY AROUND HERE? Don't let Daddee's wife see this thread. Silly

Oh my gosh!!! Igo found the vacuum packed chicken!!!
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For dayhikes I just toss whatever from my hiking shelf into the pack. It's usually a mixture of Kashi Crunchy bars, gorp, and jerky. Sometimes I supplement it with a fresh apple or orange. If it's a backpacking trip then who knows what I'll take, anything from Mac N cheese to steaks and instant mashed potatoes.

I like tuna but limit how much I eat due to the mercury. They do package Salmon though and it's a great addition to noodles with sauce.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
For dayhikes I just toss whatever from my hiking shelf into the pack. It's usually a mixture of Kashi Crunchy bars, gorp, and jerky. Sometimes I supplement it with a fresh apple or orange. If it's a backpacking trip then who knows what I'll take, anything from Mac N cheese to steaks and instant mashed potatoes.

I like tuna but limit how much I eat due to the mercury. They do package Salmon though and it's a great addition to noodles with sauce.
Lunches are the hardest part of multi-day BPs to plan. Geo and I have talked about the weight of fresh fruit, before. It's way too heavy, and if you can depend on H2O along the way, dehydrated works. But if you can't, and it's a dayhike, real fruit is like 90% water plus so many electrolytes.

While I'm a lifelong lover of seafood, as Geo notes, the mercury (and lead) content of the oceans finest is something to research. Far northern types of fish may be preferable. Fish farm types should be avoided.

Everything ends up in the oceans, and that's where the planet's food chain begins.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 2/19/2006, 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Clif bars and maybe jerky. I don't eat much on the trail, as hiking tends to depress my appetite as opossed to siting in front of the tube, which tends to stimulate it.
IGO

PostPosted: 2/20/2006, 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
http://javette.com/home.html

http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=7581

Here's two choices for ya IGO. I have only tried the Javette and loved its convenience and the taste was pretty good considering the weight savings and small size.... I am gonna send in a minimus order if I can ever get my lazy butt organized and decide what all I want to order... I will let ya know how the stuff from minimus tastes after I have tasted it. I most likely won't ever go back to any of the other coffee gimmicks for a back pack these little packets just work oh so well!

Trail Mocha has always been a ritual but the mix weighs about 5 pounds leaving the house and is the only thing in my pack that sends out rodent radar so it's time to change.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Cholla

PostPosted: 2/20/2006, 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A book I recently added to my collection is Travel Light - Eat Heavy by Bill McCartney. ISBN #0-615-12911-0. One nice feature I liked is his meal plans include the calorie count.

It's a small book, only 132 pages. I found mine at Amazon. It would be very useful to new backpackers and still provide some variety for those who are more experienced.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 2/20/2006, 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't ever really eat lunch, if I eat anything though it'll be my trusty Pop Tarts

Kerouac
ck1

PostPosted: 2/20/2006, 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

South Beach has a product line of tortilla lunches...chicken Caesar and Southwest chicken...mmmm

"The Journey is the Destination"
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 2/20/2006, 2:38 pm    Post subject: food and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
South Beach has a product line of tortilla lunches...chicken Caesar and Southwest chicken...mmmm

That's supposed to be Uncrustables isn't it ck1?

GTG
ck1

PostPosted: 2/20/2006, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: food and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
ck1 wrote:

That's supposed to be Uncrustables isn't it ck1?

GTG

Those are good as well...so many options!

"The Journey is the Destination"
Vashti

PostPosted: 2/20/2006, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For backpacking lunches...

On day 1, we usually have some bread product and the spreadable cheese (Boursin garlic cheese or Rondelle garden vegetable cheese). Usually, its the fresh french bread that is 99 cents at Fry's bakery. It is large, but it weighs nothing and we eat most of it at lunch, and finish off the rest with dinner. If not bread, then those crush-resistant crackers (wassa???) are great, and they last the whole trip. Small beef summer sausage is tasty, too, along with the above. Call us crazy, but the extra weight is gone within a few hours, and its nice to eat something unique for the first day (wow does pita get BORING after a while!).

On day 2, we usually have some bread product again, but something not crushable like bagels or the crush-resistant crackers, plus PB and Nutella. We combine both PB & nutella into those squeezie tubes that you can get at REI. Yum.

I must mention that oftentimes, given that we are weekend warriors, are BPing trips are 2-3 days max, so we aren't stuck with the perpetual pita and PB. For longer trips, well ... pita, wassa, etc.

Another good "day 1" option is subway subs without the condiments or any 'wet' vegetables to sogify your bread. You can get the condiments from subway in packets to take along. Love that mustard.

For later days, we take pita and the dried hummus that you can rehydrate without heating water. Even that no-cook bacon is good for lunch. A nice change to having jerky all the time. We are also fans of the tuna or chicken flat packs that everyone has been mentioning. I prefer the chicken packs, but they are harder to find in the grocery store. The crab is good, too.

Anyway, that's our way of spicing up the food sector. Since others have been mentioning breakfast caffeine ... my fav is trader joe's powdered chai. YUM. Just add water, and you get flavor and caffeine! For those of you who may not be coffee drinkers, but are caffeine addicts.

We supplement with some combination of the usual snacks - Fruit Leather, powerbars, luna bars, fruit snacks, trail mix, dried fruit, jerky...

Very Happy
Vashti! Smile

ESCAPE the CUBE!!
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 2/20/2006, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I pretty much grab whatever I have in my pantry (which is set up for hiking/backpacking), tuna, crackers, trail mix, instant soups, mashed potatoes, hummus, in the fridge is generally carrots, some lettuce, oranges and apples. I will grab something that I feel like eating the day that I'm leaving. I also keep a little bag with enough food for 1 1/2 days, so if I don't have time to think about it, I just grab the prepackaged bag...it's a 'grab bag' meal Laughing . I eat most of my lunches like that too! Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: