ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Water filtration or treatment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

AquaMira Water Treatment is a liquid water treatment that kills bacteria and improves the taste of water from treated or untreated sources. Unlike iodine-based treatments, such as Potable Aqua, AquaMira is marketed as having no "unpleasant taste or odor". AquaMira comes packaged as two separate 1oz. bottles and requires pre-mixing before adding to water. Part A is a 1oz bottle of Chlorine Dioxide (which contains no chlorine, by the way) and Part B is a 1oz bottle of Phosphoric acid "activator". The chemical reaction of the chlorine dioxide (Part A) and phosphoric acid (Part B) in AquaMira causes the water to oxygenate, which kills all the scary stuff. AquaMira states that one package will treat 120 liters (30 gals) of water. A clear plastic box with a lid keeps the bottles and instructions together in one place. It's pretty spendy, something like $10 bucks for the package.

I'm not sure, but it seems like you could filter a lot more water, and have it instantly drinkable, for less dough. It's main advantage is weight, and size.

-Nealz
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Interesting stuff. Would never of thot of killing bugs with a chemical reaction. Interesting technology. I have to say that is pretty neet. Mr. Green

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have to agree with a lot of what has been posted already. It is true that no "filter" can get rid of viruses (molecule sized particles - and if you built a filter with a porus structure that small you would have a very difficult [read: impossible] time pumping the water through) - but will get rid of most of the "bugs" in water, and a really good filter will get rid of the cryptosporidia bugs (difficult little dudes that are quite nasty - they can squish down and get through smaller holes than other bugs).

For a while the PUR and First-Aide filters were touting an "iodine shock filter" that ran the water over an iodine laced filter that supposedly got rid of viruses, but as was already spoken, independend tests proved the claim was false. Any company who claims that their filter will get out viruses through any means other than a sustained chemical reaction (via iodine, chlorine or other such stuff) - by sustained I mean that it has to sit there for a while, or infuse the water with enough of it to do the job - is just plain lying.

Fortunately viruses only really become a problem in areas where HUMANS are using the water for sanitary purposes. Serously tainted water from cattle or other animals is certainly suspect, but since the viruses that affect them don't generally cause a problem for humans, it's not as big of a worry.

Also, fortunately, there are very few areas in the continental US where human sanitation is a major concern (although you hear about it happening occasionally in various recreation areas - usualy caused by a ruptured septic tank - or a bunch of drunk idiots who use the lake/river for their personal toilet). Most people will say that you really only need virus level sanitation in third world countries and in some isolated areas near reservations.

There is much to be said of "better safe than sorry" and the like - however, there are also those who will say they drink untreated water and have never gotten sick. Well, you takes your chances - I have gotten violently sick from drinking tainted water (in Brazil) and will choose to reamain "better safe than sorry."

Ounces do count, and the PUR filters are lighter for certain, but I still prefer the MSR mini. I really like the ceramic technology, I like the durability the long life of the filter and I like the ease of use and ease of cleaning. But then again, for me, ounces don't count as much. I tend to go heavy and not mind it.

When you get your filter, keep in mind where you will usually do your hiking, how safe do you really want to be, and how much water you think you'll need to filter. As with anything else, an informed decision based on your personal preferences and usage profile will be the best choice.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
tracker

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have the PUR Voyager and I love it. I used to have the Hiker, but it took to long to fill up. I like the way PUR's have a "spout" that fits nalgene bottles. I only have two hands. Laughing
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use the Purehiker and love it. Pumped many gallons out of the Colorado River down in the Canyon without a hitch.
And yes I know about water born diseases caused by bacteria, viruses and parisites. Sometime when I have time I will do a post on them and common treatment practices. The CDC is doing some interesting studies here in Arizona now, in conjunction with scientests from both ASU and NAU. I just spent the day in the classroom at the Arizona Department of Enviromental Quality Water Resources Division, talking of this very subject.
A hint for using your filter in skanky water to keep it from plugging. Carry some coffee filters with you and wrap one around the suction end of your filter with a rubberband and it will block most of the large particles and sediment etc. saving your filter cartridge.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee, excellent post!!!! Smile
ck1

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

maryphyl wrote:
Being the lightweight fanatic that I am I don't take a filter. I drink a lot of water unfiltered. If I think there might be bugs in it I use iodine tabs followed with the ascorbic acid tabs that remove the bum taste. If the water is real ugly I filter it through my bandana to remove the big chunks and then boil it. I have never been sick which just goes to prove nothing much.

rofl rofl rofl

Ok, now that was a funny post! What a great sense of humor.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

A hint for using your filter in skanky water to keep it from plugging. Carry some coffee filters with you and wrap one around the suction end of your filter with a rubberband and it will block most of the large particles and sediment etc. saving your filter cartridge.

Thats a good idea, I would of never thot of it.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a MSR also. I have had it for 5 years. It's seen alot of trips and lots of yucky water. When your pumping water for 4-8 people and it's held up after all these years without a replacement part of any kind I think that speaks for itself.
phrankster

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would like to thank everyone for their opinions and suggestions on water filtration systems.. I went with the MSR "Mini Works, due to the fact that it is easier to clean in the field and had a ceramic filter that would be alot easier (for me) to clean than the paper filter the PUR had. Bought it at REI yesterday and should be using it soon BEFORE I venture into GC this spring.
Lizard

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have had bad luck with filters. I've found the PUR hiker to be intensely frustrating to use unless the filter is brand new. As time goes on, it becomes harder and harder to pump, until you are putting out a massive amount of effort to get a each small squirt of water. The filter is not really cleanable, so you just have to replace it. I've gone through at least half a dozen filter for the PUR, and broken the handle on the filter body before from trying to force water through a clogged pump. I switched to the MSR Miniworks at one point, and while I found this filter better, it still is not what I was looking for. I now use AquaMira, and have no complaints whatsoever. Its fast, lightweight, efficient (kills virii, unlike filters) and tastes fine. There are no health concerns as with iodine.

It should be noted that I backpack a lot and put high demands on my gear. If you plan to only use your filter occasionally, then you may not run into the problems I have.

Lizard

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

It should be noted that I backpack a lot

I should have been so smart at 23 Rolling Eyes
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
I now use AquaMira, and have no complaints whatsoever. Its fast, lightweight, efficient (kills virii, unlike filters) and tastes fine. There are no health concerns as with iodine.
Lizard

I think the AQUAMIRA folks got into trouble with their virus killing claims because their website no longer indicates the products kills them which is now a problem in many areas.
bigal

PostPosted: 8/14/2004, 9:30 am    Post subject: berkey light great water filter for camping Reply to topic Reply with quote

has a build in led light so you dont bump around in the night-filters 12gallons a day
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 8/14/2004, 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: berkey light great water filter for camping Reply to topic Reply with quote

bigal wrote:
has a build in led light so you dont bump around in the night-filters 12gallons a day

what?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: