ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Why I don't cook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/10/2006, 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I still don't have a clue as to the meaning of the acronym GHOTM, but have noticed what it rhymes with!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 2/10/2006, 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
I still don't have a clue as to the meaning of the acronym GHOTM, but have noticed what it rhymes with!

oops sorry. Embarassed

GHOTM = Group Hike Of The Month

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
IGO

PostPosted: 2/10/2006, 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
azbackpackr wrote:
Well, I probably figured that out! It was just that DesertRoux said that car camping involves sitting around all day eating and drinking. That sort of pushed my buttons a little. I am not able to do that. Sorry, I'm just not made that way. I don't drink alcohol at all, for one thing. I don't sit around during the day too well, either. I would go nuts.

If sitting around is not your thing, then the only event I'd definitely recommend you stay away from is the Camp Hoomer GHOTM Sleeping

...the "H" in GHOTM is used very loosely on that trip! Chuckle

I was looking at the comments under last years pictures. It looked like there might be some interesting hiking, Why little or no hiking?
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 2/10/2006, 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For me personally, car camping is much more of a relaxed wilderness expirence than backpacking. My wife and kids are usually with me and I can't go charging off into the wilds as easily. Sure we get a nice little hike in after breakfast. There also is alot of frisbee golf and playing with the dog. But after all that there is alot of down time also. I'm there to spend time with my family, not log miles. I have a 2 girls ages nearly 5 and 1 year. To pack my truck up with all the stuff we need is a workout enough. My wife and I both work in the restaurant buisness. Good food and drink, family, and a break from the stress and long hours are best enjoyed with the tremendous views of nature.

Mr. Green

-Hunter S. Thompson
paintninaz

PostPosted: 2/10/2006, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
I was looking at the comments under last years pictures. It looked like there might be some interesting hiking, Why little or no hiking?

We were all worn out from the deathmarch in! Wink and sitting around doin' nothing was feeling really good for a change!

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
IGO

PostPosted: 2/10/2006, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
IGO wrote:

We were all worn out from the deathmarch in! Wink and sitting around doin' nothing was feeling really good for a change!

Shhhsh. 3 of ya were sleeping while doin' the "Death March"! Sleeping
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/10/2006, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

DesertRoux: See, I was picturing you with the keg and the noisy boombox, not with the kids and dog! I enjoyed years of carcamping with my kids, too, it's good for 'em!

Do you guys still even call them boomboxes? I sometimes think I'm just disasterously out of touch.

Meanwhile back on the topic of I Hate To Cook, (remember that topic?) my son got me a membership in that Quixtar website. There is actually an outdoor store on the website, called Earth's Edge, so I am going to help my son out (he gets a kickback) by buying a whole bunch of Backpacker's Pantry foods, and also they have some product like ERG, that you can add to your water, for the electrolyte replacement. replacement. They also have kayaking and backpacking gear, although the selection is very limited.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 2/10/2006, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

[quote="azbackpackr"]

Do you guys still even call them boomboxes? I sometimes think I'm just disasterously out of touch.

quote]

uh, another acronym. MP3

so what do you think Im into by looking at my pic? Twisted Evil

what i do
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 2/10/2006, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mikeinFHAZ wrote:

so what do you think Im into by looking at my pic? Twisted Evil

Arts & Crafts maybe?

Kerouac
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/11/2006, 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MikeinFHAZ--Cooking, maybe? We were talking about cooking, or the lack thereof. Cooking while skateboarding, that's it. It is a picture of how you pass the time while you are waiting for your water to boil. After it boils, you will then add it to your Mountain House or other backpacker food. You will then look at your watch and skateboard some more for exactly the correct amount of time. Then you will eat your food. This will take about five minutes. Then you will go skateboarding again.

I grew up in California. Skateboards existed when I was a kid, but you had to make them yourself. They were not yet available commercially until I was in high school. I made quite a few myself. You took a pair of old rollerskates, the kind that attaches to your shoe, and banged the top of it flat with a hammer. Then you cut a board the length you wanted it. For me, to fit my two bare feet, about 1 and 1/2 feet long. Then you nailed the skates to the board, putting the nails in just far enough, and then you bent them over to hold the skate on. Then you took it to the top of a fairly steep hill (I lived on one, in Point Loma) and you stood on it and rode down the sidewalk. The deal was if you were good enough then when you got to the bottom of the block you could go around the corner. If you were going to chicken out you purposely biffed onto the neighbor's fluffy manicured dichondra lawn. Only, the word "biff" was not invented yet. (The word "grom" however, was already in use, or grommet, meaning a very young surfer.) This was in about 1960-65. And as for cooking (remember the topic?), when you were done skateboarding, Mom had food ready for you to eat. And they have daylight savings in California, so you went out and skateboarded some more after you ate. Not so different than now, huh?
IGO

PostPosted: 2/11/2006, 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've always wanted to try Mountain House but never have. You'd think that an industry smack in to middle of the eco movement could figure out a way to keep from using more packaging than McDonalds. Half there product is packaging. That's alot of trash to carry and alot to throw away isn't it?
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 2/11/2006, 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

you rock, azbackpacker. I have been skating for 20 years- I have been eating for 35. Food wins!

yeah, and MH should reduce packaging. Its a pain to repackage, so I save my MH packages and use 'em for other stuff. (like whoopi cushions)

what i do
IGO

PostPosted: 2/11/2006, 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mikeinFHAZ wrote:

yeah, and MH should reduce packaging. Its a pain to repackage, so I save my MH packages and use 'em for other stuff. (like whoopi cushions)

Cool. I've never seen how they are packaged from the inside, I've just handled the suitecases from the store shelves. It would be great if you could use them for something else. Also, I used to help my old girlfriend out some when she was packaging stuff for hikes. She was a nut about it. I'd be more interested in doing something like Diane is doing but that was the kind of thing we did the week-end before the hike. Kinda a pre-hike diet planning and tequila drunk all rolled into one. Ahhh traditions. LOL
IGO

PostPosted: 2/11/2006, 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:

YYyeeeewwwwhhh.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/11/2006, 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For years I've used Ramen noodles, Lipton Noodles, Cuppa Soups and other such "treats" available cheap at the grocery store. Only recently have I started using more of these backpacker foods, but still use the others, too. You're right--the packaging is pretty extreme! I suppose one could re--package them in ziplocs for a specific hike, and just put the contents into a pan of boiling water. It would mean having to rinse out the pan afterward though! Maybe someone has come up with a better way to at least leave all the packaging behind when using the Mtn. House foods?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: