ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
El Camino Del Diablo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hnak

PostPosted: 2/7/2006, 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nighthiker wrote:
Will you be stopping by Quitabaquito Springs ?

I'm pretty sure that this route heads southwest from just south of Ajo, and doesn't go anywhere near Quitobaquito Springs...
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/7/2006, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think my Cherokee is full now. Todd and Linda are riding along and also Kim who was on the RTR I hiked a few months ago.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 2/8/2006, 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK boys and girls--packets coming your way. Don't forget to make copies of the two page application for the other riders in your vehicle. Just mail direct to refuge or if handy stop by BLM in Phoenix. Address enclosed.

Basically everybody gets a permit, we'll just be traveling together. Road log for Camino included.

Plans---early start, stop at Bates Well, thru Growler mtns, sight see, stop at Papago Well. Its about mile 40 and if we are slow it will be an optional campsite, however I hope to get thru Pinacate ( maybe short hike, stretch the legs there) then to Tule Well for the night. Its about 72 miles in.

A more leisurely start day 2, not late, then stop at Tinaja Altas, then out the road to Wellton across Barry Goldwater range, see the tanks, etc roadside (military not water), then hit I-8 to back home. The end route looks about 35-40 miles and we will want that to get back home not past midnight.

You late sleepers bring an alarm clock; do not approach me until after coffee #2 in am Laughing
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/8/2006, 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Paint and Diane have bailed, so just Ambika and me in the Xterra; have room for one or two others who like dogs and can help keep Rich from bouncing off the ceiling during the rough sections.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/10/2006, 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Xterra's now full; four people and Richie Rich.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 2/10/2006, 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have lost one group; the folks taking my Cherokee. Which means I will probably take my Wrangler and not have a passenger. I might be able to take on some "freight" for those with full vehicles passenger wise. We have a full size king cab pickup going that might have room for "stuff" also if needed.

Might be very dusty, stuff on the roof rack make sure it is ok to be coated with dust.

I recommend each vehicle take besides their own camping gear have a first aid kit, vehicle oil and other fluids, besides spare tire etc.

I will have in the Jeep--
spare battery, jumper cables, a good air compressor ( inflates 31" tire in about 3 minutes), tire sidewall repair kit, 5 gal Jerry can gas, hose clamps, tools, hi lift and reg jack.

Looking forward to it!!!! Make sure and bring the cameras!!!
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/10/2006, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Will tie GTG to roof rack.....he looks better covered with dust than without. Razz
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/14/2006, 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Letty, Permit apps are on the way to my riders, GTG, Messami and Desertgirl. What time and where in Ajo do you want to meet?
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 2/14/2006, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hate to say it for the less than early risers; 6:00 am at the Cabeza Prieta office in Ajo. It's about 40 miles from Gila Bend. Those who don't get permits in time can pick them up at an outside box, if so requested. The parking lot is not lit as I recall so bring those headlamps, then we will head out as ASAP, no later than 6:30.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 2/15/2006, 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just got my permit in the mail, all approved and official. Please remember if you are getting permit by mail enclose a self addressed stamped envelope.

Who will volunteer to be "sweep " vehicle? I suppose I will lead ( a mistake probably) and I suppose we will spread out. Would like a person confident in dragging along last who will be patient and ok if out of sight of other vehicles.
It's pretty hard to get lost once on main route.

I will be backpacking in Death Valley for 4 days weekend prior to the Camino so I may be out of touch just before our trip.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/15/2006, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Letty, how long was the turnaround on your permit? We're sending ours off tomorrow.
I picked up a pair of Motorola FRS/GRMS radios, 1 watt, 10 mile. They're in the charger now. I'm taking spare water and oil. What fun!
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/15/2006, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'l have FRS/GRMS radios as well and I expect GTG will too. And I'll bring the four gallons of water I bought before I found out the RV park In Puerto Penasco was safe to drink.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 2/16/2006, 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think the turn around time was 3 days--- Again you can ask for the permits to be left at the box at the refuge but we still have plenty of time to get them.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/18/2006, 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I got a call today from BLM. THey said everyone has to watch a video. I might be able to watch it at an office in downtown Phoenix. Otherwise, I'll have to make a trip up to the land of Todd, 7th ave just north of the 101.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 2/18/2006, 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've heard of that but when I made my trip a couple of years ago I just picked up the permit and went. As I have my permit, and nobody at Cabeza Prieta has mentioned this, I wonder if it's just the different stories between agencies. I doubt I will watch it as I don't have time to run over to Ajo. I plan on calling the 800 # from Gila Bend or Ajo and driving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: