ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
El Camino Del Diablo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/5/2006, 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

According to my son, who lives in Yuma, local law enforcement and the Border Patrol recommend you take several vehicles and lots of people on this drive as it is a major drug trafficking route. Be very careful. Border Patrol and Sheriff's deputies shot at on a daily basis by these criminals. My son lives in east Yuma. Two miles south of his subdivision in an open area the sheriff's volunteers are shot at all the time--they have told my son this when he goes out there.

Take firearms. You have a right to defend yourself if necessary.

Why we can put men on the moon but can't police our own border is beyond me! PC sucks!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 2/5/2006, 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
I'm in with Ambika riding shotgun in the Xterra with Richie Rich and, if she'd like to ride along, Paint.

Chin Scratching do I get to ride IN the Xterra...or are ya planning on tying me to the top as a shooting target? Eek

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/5/2006, 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

According to my son, who lives in Yuma, local law enforcement and the Border Patrol recommend you take several vehicles and lots of people on this drive as it is a major drug trafficking route. Be very careful. Border Patrol and Sheriff's deputies shot at on a daily basis by these criminals. My son lives in east Yuma. Two miles south of his subdivision in an open area the sheriff's volunteers are shot at all the time--they have told my son this when he goes out there.

Take firearms. You have a right to defend yourself if necessary.

To be honest that actually makes me want to go a bit more! I like a real adventure
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/5/2006, 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
evenstar wrote:
I'm in with Ambika riding shotgun in the Xterra with Richie Rich and, if she'd like to ride along, Paint.

Chin Scratching do I get to ride IN the Xterra...or are ya planning on tying me to the top as a shooting target? Eek

I would NEVER use you as a shooting target......they might miss and hit the Xterra! Rolling Eyes

BTW, as Stan can attest, I drive much more sanely when Richie Rich is along. Silly
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/5/2006, 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, Now I am bummed...I eleviated my slef from the possiblity of this trip and now they are not coming..... any openings still?

I want to shine!
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/5/2006, 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
OK, Now I am bummed...I eleviated my slef from the possiblity of this trip and now they are not coming..... any openings still?

El Poco Salchicha, GTG, Stan......somebody, anybody........shoot me before I post this.....PLEASE!

Well, three brats together in one Xterra wouldn't be the end of the world, would it? Main thing will be to pack small so we can fit it all in the back of the truck. Rolling Eyes And the two sitting in the back seat would have to put up with Richie Rich in his bed (Yellow dingy?) between you.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/5/2006, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, now that I have you all shooting each other.... Really you guys, PLEASE, take more than one vehicle!! Three would be even better than two. I just talked to my son about this on the phone yesterday. He wants to do that drive too, but it's been all over the news down in Yuma about the Border Patrol being shot at daily in that area. I wouldn't mind going there with you myself, but I can't make that weekend. (And I'd come loaded for bear!) The people who are crossing the border in that area are organized by various cartels to move humans and drugs. They carry automatic weapons--those kind of machine guns that are generally illegal even here in Arizona. The Mexican federales and army are also paid off, and sometimes cross the border themselves if they feel like it--i.e. if there's dinero involved. And then some people call us racist if we complain?? Gimme a break.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/5/2006, 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm going and have a seat or two open. Diane, want to ride with one nurse and another in training?
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/5/2006, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Take and post lots of pictures, I will be in Casa Grande for a road ride event.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 2/6/2006, 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I got the emails, please ya'll check for responses, I hope to have more info soon.
Once I have the "current" rules and regs I'll let you know. BTW a friend of mine is a lieutenant or whatever sector heads are with Border Patrol, and he says while things are active, seem pretty stable and the route is driven without too much hassle these days. Use common sense.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/6/2006, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, never mind all..... I am sorry but work has finally started on our kitchen and though it will be a painfully slow process I need to keep some weekends open to help Ron with the remodel! If I don't stay home on some weekends I will have to cancel actual hikes and goodness knows I don't want to do that!

I want to shine!
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 2/7/2006, 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have the info from Cabeza Prieta and have emailed the ranger with some questions. Drivers, please email your mailing addresses to me as the copies I have look like they will fax poorly. I will get to you as soon as I can. Please make your own copies for passengers to sign.
We'll decide how to collate it all later.
Thanks---
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/7/2006, 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

PM on the way; you're not set up to receive e-mails from this site.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 2/7/2006, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Let's review and please feel free to correct me. I am a poor leader at best and especially right now.

Letty's Cherokee-- 2 adult- 2kids
Letty's Wrangler--me, and an open spot for the moment
George's Grand Cherokee--2 and ????
THE XTERRA--3 and Richie Rich
Lawrences BIG TRUCK--3-4
Hnak--????--himself and ???

Some of my group want to camp out Fri nite/ I will be in Gila Bend somewhere.
Tenatively we will meet up 6:00 am at Cabeza Prieta Refuge Headquarters in Ajo.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/7/2006, 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Will you be stopping by Quitabaquito Springs ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: