ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Canyoneering FYI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 1/26/2006, 10:06 pm    Post subject: Canyoneering FYI Reply to topic Reply with quote

I went to the talk at PV REI tonight. The American Canyoneering Association presented. They are beginning to encourage Chapters to be formed throughout the US and it appears they may have one starting up in Phoenix. Here is the national site with information http://www.canyoneering.net/content/

Along with the presentation was Todd and his wife Steph from Todd's hiking guide
http://www.toddshikingguide.com/
I'm sure many of you have gone to his site for trail information. If you ever have time, check out the photo's! Diane, if you love canyons, you will LOVE this site. I've never done a wet rappel, so looking at the slide show was pretty exciting! I have a friend who has done many trips with these two. I would love to go some time, but I understand that the technical work is much different from plan rock climbing and I'm sure they don't want to be compromised, nor would I want to get in over my head, so this association does a lot of trainings in canyoneering and really seems beneficial if you really want to do technical canyoneering!
I just wanted to pass on some information!
jkern15674

PostPosted: 1/27/2006, 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think if you are comfy with rapping you might be ready to do beginning to intermediate canyons. Say something already bolted with a "lead" canyoner or something with bomber anchors??
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/27/2006, 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't wait to try canyoneering! You guys please let me know if you form a chapter in Phx!! So it's actually HARDER than regular rock climbing??!! I can rappel in my sleep, but it's going UP where I sometimes have trouble. I need to start doing pull ups every day or something!! We had a team indoor rock climbing race on the mini-wall at the youth Search and Rescue (Apache Rescue Team--you REI people may have heard of us) office last week. I did better than I thought I would, but not really all that well. Of course, most of the other people there were between 14 and 18, and I'm 52! I hadn't rock climbed in a few years--our climbing wall was dis-assembled for awhile. We practice technical rescue, but that involves a lot of rappelling, pick-offs, knots, and piles of spaghetti that you have to try to make into haul systems. (No, I'm not certified at tech rescue, only wilderness medical.)

I always think it's so important to be aware of one's own capabilities, or lack thereof. Then when you are pushing the envelope, you know where your previous boundaries were.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 1/27/2006, 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

jkern15674 wrote:
I think if you are comfy with rapping you might be ready to do beginning to intermediate canyons. Say something already bolted with a "lead" canyoner or something with bomber anchors??
I do feel comfortable rappelling. Now it's just finding a lead canyoner. I've made the mistake of rock climbing with someone who was ALL talk and really didn't know what he was doing. I ended up bailing on the climb and went home realizing that I don't want to put my life in an 'idiots' hands. Forming this chapter means basic training and hopefully getting out with competent people. Turning Mary
jkern15674

PostPosted: 1/28/2006, 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mary I plan to lead Lemmon creek, Waterhole canyon and Black canyon latter this year, both require tech skills. I will keep you in the loop if interested?
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 1/28/2006, 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Absolutely!!!! Let me know the dates, my calendar is filling up quickly! Mary
jkern15674

PostPosted: 1/29/2006, 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Will do Mary, you are a weekend type correct?? I was hoping to include waterhole canyon in the paria trip seeing as we will be in the area. It is comparable to antelope but without ladders and without a grip of tourist. Black canyon is near sedona and is also a day trip and Lemmon would need to be an over nighter. PM me with some available dates and lets get paria scheduled
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: