ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
ace bandage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nah, ain't gonna bash. Like I said in earlier post, I've always had stamina. Where I'm hurting now is balance and surefootedness. Think GTG will tell you on that Packard trail hike I was really moving out, getting maybe a hundred yards ahead then bang...rocky section and pretty soon they're right on my tail. I hit those rocks and there goes my confidence!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Practice makes perfect Hooli. It is ALL about confidence on the rocks. I'm fairly fast over rocky terrain - but I have a buddy who is absolutely INSANE fast over rocks. The worse the better. He tells me he hardly even thinks about it any more, he just lets instinct take over. I agree with him - the more you do it, the better your instincts become and the more confidence you have.

Granted, speed isn't always the most desireable thing - but I've found that developing speed has built my confidence to the point that if I am going slower, I am able to keep my head up and looking around more - so I get to see more around me besides the trail.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A big part of it is looking ahead a few steps to plan where you're going to put your feet. You learn to recognize the right types of rocks to step on.
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry to break this to you Daddee....it's age! I do balance stuff and I just don't have it like I did even ten years ago. Yeah, practice is good, but it can't compete with old man time. Crying or Very sad
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

practice is good, but it can't compete with old man time

Well, you're right. I just read a little about that too - balance goes with age. The article actually was about a way of solving the problem that seemed to be something like 80% effective. I'll see if I can track down the article and post it here in the future.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've read the stuff....I'm in much better shape than 95+ of the people my age....but there's still that 20% ineffective. Father time's got that.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Father time's got that.

He's a real BA****D isn't he?

- Abraham Lincoln
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You got it! Looks like this Twisted Evil
overrocked

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 1:40 pm    Post subject: NEW BALANCE???? Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK Hoolie, I think I'll try going to NEW BALANCE and see what they can do. Has anyone here used them for advice for sports injuries? Also, check out bodyresults.com. They even have keyboard exercises for those desk jockies and forum experts. Razz
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
I've read the stuff....I'm in much better shape than 95+ of the people my age....but there's still that 20% ineffective. Father time's got that.

RANDOM THOUGHTS:

I figure it takes me about 20% longer to get somewhere now than it did a few years ago. Used to take 5 hours? so now it takes 6. OK--so it goes.

My mother brought me all her gear last summer--she was 83 and decided to hang it up. Her last canyon hike she was 81.

Nothin lasts forever--us included. I am just grateful to be outside. I thought last summer my hiking days were over--then I decided to ignore the pain and I am doing pretty well. I picked up a walking stick--I used to make fun of them what wanted a stick--thought it got in the way.

I hate to put more than three weeks between hikes because I have to start all over. I have taken up going by myself because it is hard to find somebody as often as I would like.

Why I wrote all this trash I don't know but since I did I guess I will post it. Rolling Eyes
Ally

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am going through this right now, Chondromalacia Patellae. It is painful and annoying. I will not be trying to hike for another 2 weeks. See an orthopedic doctor for proper diagnosis and do not let them cut on you right away, unless some part of the cartilage is already torn loose and causing more problems. The knee brace mentioned above is the one I have and is working fine. You can usually get one from an orthopedic doctor pretty cheap if your insurance does not cover it. I am also icing the knee a few times a day for about 1/2 hour. If you do have surgery, find a good surgeon. I had surgery on the same knee 20 years ago and this is the first problem with it since then. Good luck -Ally

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Sorry to break this to you Daddee....it's age!

See Hooli, there we go again. I have great endurance. On level terrain and up hills I can kick some butt and be waiting for the rest to catch up. Cool But put me on some rocky terrain, or a creek or river crossing and I'll slow everyone down. My balance sucks. I'd like to blame it on age but I'm afraid it is pure lack of confidence Embarassed
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Why I wrote all this trash I don't know but since I did I guess I will post it.

Not trash - good reading. I think I may be at the same point of just ignoring the pain in my knee just to hit the trail. A little slower than I used to be - but at least I'm out there.
Quote:

I'd like to blame it on age but I'm afraid it is pure lack of confidence

I think that counts for a lot - but lack of balance can also be a big criteria. It took me years of hiking practice to be able to move as fast as I do (used to Sad ) - and I look like hell doing it. I am NOT the most graceful person to watch hike, but somehow, I always make it down without killing myself or anyone around me. That is due to confidence and not balance. I have lousy balance, but I have pretty good confidence moving over rough terrain.

- Abraham Lincoln
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Seams to me that my knee problems go away when I get into shape. I thot I was not going to make it off of Grannite Mountain last year, now I'm doin doubles on Camelback.

I cant say I am the fastest hiker, but I have endurance. I don't have to stop much when I'm hiking, because of this, I'll make it up a mountain in about the same amount of time as somebody who is faster then me but needs to take more breaks.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Now that we've all pointed out how fast we can and cannot go, does it really matter? Isn't it better to take one's time and see what's around us? Enjoy the experience? Unless your doing Camelback or Squaw Peak for fitness I think it's silly to even time a hike. And what does all this have to do with knees anyway? Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: