ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
ace bandage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
tracker

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go to a Sports Authority and get a velco adjustable knee brace, one with the hole for the knee cap.

My wife uses this kind and it has worked out well. Also, use trekking poles not just 1 pole. It will help. :P

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What a minute! I'm not too far behind Nealz and I don't consider myself old. Not yet anyway! Downhill is always harder on your body with any amount of impact. The first time I ran the Whiskey Row Marathon I trained on alot of hills here. Not only did I try to run long stretches of hills I ran at the parks along the canal and would run up to (but always walked down) the canal appox 50 times at least 3x a week. I thought I was ready but when it came to the downhills my body, knees esp. screamed. I couldn't walk for days, let alone run because of my left knee. I felt it on my first decent after the turnaround. I regularly strenth train but a fellow runner suggested the 'one legged squat' (I suggested this to someone on the OTHER site) I have not had any problems with my knee since as long as I do it religiously. I ran the next Whiskey Row with a PR and no knee pain after. Good luck.
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cindy wrote:
What a minute! I'm not too far behind Nealz and I don't consider myself old.

Take my word for it Cindy...You are not OLD Exclamation If you were, what would that make me Question Yikes Exclamation Exclamation And every body can shuddup Evil or Very Mad

And your right, the downhill puts much more strain on the knees. The only time I had problem doing the SF Marathon in '84, was immediately after descending the hill coming out of Fort Mason. I'd been holding pretty steady at an 8 mile pace and suddenly it was killing me to hold a 9 mile pace. I Really think I could have come in under 3:30 if not for that porridge hill and what it did to my knees.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My lungs like downhill, my knees like uphill. They fight over this all the time.
overrocked

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 3:04 pm    Post subject: orthotics Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, those spencer specials that you put in boiling water and get to contour your foot are great. my feet have never been better. That's a good idea though, maybe i should put some superfeet Idea in my work shoes...hmmmmmm
Mrs Mike

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I must be very strange, but I like downhill MUCH more than uphill. I have asthma, so I have a tendency to have asthma attacks on the way up if I'm not VERY careful. Thank God for inhalers. They have saved my lungs many times, especially on hikes!!
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with you, Mrs. Mike - downhill is much better! Yes
ck1

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like both the up and the down...as long as there are plenty of flats inbetween Laughing Laughing

"The Journey is the Destination"
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
I like both the up and the down...as long as there are plenty of flats inbetween Laughing Laughing
Sounds like a rim to rim... Wink
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wanna do a rim to rim this spring!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
I wanna do a rim to rim this spring!
You have lots of time, start planning! North to South, or South to North?
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I used to prefer downhill - because I could work up a really good head of steam if the trail was clear and practically run down - it's an actuall skill/sport called "Talus Running" if you do it on rocy enough terrain.

But then I became old and lazy and now, like Sredfield - my knees like up, my lungs like down, and they have come to blows over the subject - at least I am assuming that's what that pain in my side sometimes is telling me. Wink

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

North to south....No way do I wanna face North Kaibab as the LAST part of that hike! I hiked the six miles out to Ribbon Falls during my middle day at Phantom last May; I figure as slight as the ascent was for that first six miles, the remaining what? eight plus miles? gotta be a killer. I figure my strength has always been stamina....had it as a runner and, give me a nice smooth trail like No. Kaibab and BA or So. Kaibab, and give me time to get back into the shape I was in two months ago when GTG got me lost on an 11 mile hike that turned out to be.....but I degress....really confident I can do rim to rim with no problem, as long as I have sense enough to do it North to south. ive been thinking about it since there was talk of doing it last Oct., Just been trying to figure out..Do I take the motor home over to Noorth rim, drive the jeep back....nevermind.
Wish you people would quit posting so I could go to bed; gotta get up early tomorrow for my vacation. Very Happy
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
it's an actuall skill/sport called "Talus Running" if you do it on rocy enough terrain.
I prefer "Scree Surfing", Dude! Silly
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I prefer "Scree Surfing", Dude!

Another fun activity if you have the ballance for it. I used to love doing that with a full pack on - you get more distance out of each jump.

Man was I ever a lunatic in the younger days. (I await with eager anticipation the "what do you mean saying that in the past tense" comments from Hooli)

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: