ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
ace bandage
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
overrocked

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 3:40 pm    Post subject: ace bandage Reply to topic Reply with quote

I tried the two inch ace bandage to help a bum knee last time out. It didn't work so well. Is there anything else I can use? My knee usually gets out of wack when I go downhill, and I use a wallking stick. The bandage didn't stay in place very well, and then it was too tight, and then it was too loose......etc. Crying or Very sad Any suggestions are appreciated.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Been there, done that, both knees. Go to a Sports Authority and get a velco adjustable knee brace, one with the hole for the knee cap. The ace pulls the knee cap into the grove where its been too much already.

For exercises, get on the stair stepper at the gym backwards, this builds your quads which helps realign your knee cap. Leg lifts, squats, etc. are also recommended.

If its really bad and does not get better, acknowledge that the cartilage on the back of the patella is probably shot, and surgery is likely. You can get a great video of the inside of you knee if you are nice to the doc.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I approach this with a bit of trepedation myself, but I too am feeling the effects of some wierdness in my right knee. Not sure what it is, but it comes and goes and is highly localized on the left lower edge of my right patella. I'm going to se a doctor about it next week - but I fear the worst. I've never had knee problems before and this has me kind of worried.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Shawn

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go see an orthopedic surgeon, I know a couple. That and a sports therapist, I know a couple of those guys too. There are things you can do now to delay the need for surgery, who knows for how long. Maybe till they can replace knees and grow cartiledge (SP?). Don't put it off, you are going to want to hike with Caleb for many years to come.
overrocked

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 9:06 am    Post subject: knee Reply to topic Reply with quote

This problem is hopefully just a temporary thing, since it only hurts during and after a long hike. I never heard of doing the stair stepper backwards, that sounds like fun. Razz I guess if i wear the knee brace, i won't have to carry an ace bandage anymore Wink Am truly only backpacking with less than 25# In summer it is 18#, don't think i can lighten up much more, especially with having to carry a lot of water most of the time. I do the stairs at work, and wear ankle weights 2X week. My coworkers make fun of my 15 minute stair routines, but it sure beats sitting at the desk for hours. I know all the stairways in the building!!!!Since I work in the basement where the labs are Rolling Eyes I can go from the sub-basement to the second floor, and that is a pretty good workout. But we now have a mini-gym with two stair steppers and various other stuff, I haven't tried it yet, even though i'm signed up. Hopefully strength training may be the key to getting less injury. Thanks again for the input... Very Happy
mike t

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gotta jump in here. 1) I work with surgeons. 2) Avoid surgeons as long as possible. For every good outcome story you can probably find a bad outcome story, a mediocre outcome story, a so-so story, and a horror story. Docs will tell you what you want to hear. "it's a simple procedure" "it's easy" "it won't hurt" "you'll be back at it in no time" I can't argue with a couple of Redfields points though. A physical therapist is a good idea, especially one specializing in sports injuries. A lot of these things can be remedied with exercise and strengthening the area. A therapist can make sure you are doing an exercise right or can determine if you should be resting instead. I also agree with seeking a Doc if it gets worse or doesn't improve over time despite your treatments. Make sure you initially give it enough rest. Working an already inflamed area may be self defeating. That may be the hardest thing when all you can think about is getting back out there. Also ask yourself some questions: Have you hurt the area before, even a long time ago, this could be a high school or earlier injury catching up with you. Is it constant or intermittent? Are you overweight, even a little? All that stuff will factor in. Good luck! Mike
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Properly fit orthotics by a good sports poditrist may help as well.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My dad came across a doc that told him that after the surgery his knee should be hurting even more for a while. Before the surgery he was walking in alot of pain, but after the surgery the pain minumized, it shocked the doctor. He happened to find a really good doctor in Flagstaff (from what I understand thats almost impossible up there.)

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sredfield wrote:
Been there, done that, both knees. Go to a Sports Authority and get a velco adjustable knee brace, one with the hole for the knee cap.

Sredfield and I must have twin knees. I use those too. Mostly for backpack trips when I'm hauling more weight but on tougher dayhikes as well. Can't say enough good things about trekking poles here either.

-Nealz
Shawn

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I forgot about the poles, yeah, I use em. Prefer my old $2.98 hoe handle, but now have a pair of Leki's with which I fairly rattle and clatter down the trail.

I did therapy before my last knee job, thinking that would fix it. It didn't, but it sure set me up for a quick recovery. Did the surgery 12/26/01, and another Rim - rim 10/12/02. Many other hikes long before that also.

I'd reconsider just wearing ankle weights around the office or home. I've heard that can be really bad on knees.

My first knee job was from an injury very long ago, which is obvious in the video. THe torn miniscus was worn down to a knob, where as the fresh one was clearly still just a tear.

The business about a sports podiatrist in interesting, may check that out.
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

The business about a sports podiatrist in interesting, may check that out.

A lot, if not most, knee and hip problems and a lot of back problems are caused by over pronatiion (Your foot collapsing inward on each step) or over supination, (basically you're walking on the outside of your foot). Just really throws a lot of unnatural twisting action from your feet all the way up to your neck. Find a GOOD podiatrist that specializes in sports injuries, get references so you can talk to folks he's helped and it may change your entire outlook on life. Don't want to knock places like Good Feet or things like Super Feet....they can be helpful to folks who just need good, stable support. But to correct the kinds of problems that cause injuries they can't do the tests and analysis that are really necessary to customize an orthotic to your specific problem.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sredfield wrote:
Did the surgery 12/26/01, and another Rim - rim 10/12/02.

OK. Which do you prefer, going down under load or up? Oddly enough, I generally like hiking up. I know my knees like it a lot better too.

-Nealz
shy

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another thing, think about inflamation before it happens, if possible. I had horses for many years, and I can tell you that premedicating a horse with an antiinflamitory drug the day before, the day of and the day after makes many a "crippled" horse comfortable enough to use. In the ER we tell persons with orthpaedic injuries to medicate with ibuprofen (600-800mg with food) three times daily for three days ROUTINLY. This isn't for pain, rather for the swelling. When tissue swells in an already tight area, such as a joint, tissue damage results. The more swelling, the more damage. Rolling Eyes
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nealz wrote:

OK. Which do you prefer, going down under load or up? Oddly enough, I generally like hiking up. I know my knees like it a lot better too.

-Nealz

Nealz, definitely prefer uphill over down for the same reason as you; and I bet the majority feel that way. At least those that are old farts like you and me Razz OK, OK, like me! Laughing
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Nealz, definitely prefer uphill over down for the same reason as you; and I bet the majority feel that way. At least those that are old farts like you and me Razz OK, OK, like me! Laughing

My knees have always liked up, bettern' down, even in my ute. I wish gravity weren't so relentless tho. And geezerdom has it's perks - we're so much more wise than we used to be... that's what I'm bankin' on at least. Wink

-Nealz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: