ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Steep and Cheap Daily Special
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/22/2006, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So Tim a question. Those are snowshoes like in real snowshoes not boots to walk in snow? Wait that doesn't sound clear. Snowshoes like in walking back country? I thought about doing that last year in Flag when I went x-country. Saw quite a few people doing it, looked interesting.... Have you ever used them? and do you consider it Hard? One of the snowshoers said it is much harder than x-country. What do you say?

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/22/2006, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Correct, they strap onto your shoes/boots and come in lengths usually of 25,30 or 36'' for weights usually 150/200/250lbs.

For level ground x-country skies would probably be much easier, but you can climb mountains in snowshoes, which would be really hard I would think in skies. I've never skied, so i could be way off. Only used my snowshoes once, it was fun, just played around for 30 minutes up at snowbowl two winters ago.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/22/2006, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks.... maybe I'll have to try it next time I go x-country in Flag, they rent them there.

azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/23/2006, 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know which snowshoer you talked to who said it was harder than xc skiing?!? Cross country skiing has many skill levels, it has a HUGE learning curve, sky's the limit--uphill techniques to learn, downhill techniques, telemarking, various turns, etc. With snowshoes, all you have to remember is to not step on one snowshoe with the other one, or you'll probably fall down! So you just walk with your feet further apart. It's a no-brainer! They are suited well for newer snow, not ice. They are easier to backpack with, also, because unless you are a pretty good cross country skier that heavy pack will throw you sometimes.

Anyway, I had to laugh, in all my years of snow shoeing out in Calif. (in the San Bernardino Mtns.)and also up here in the White Mtns. with Search and Rescue, it was pretty well accepted that anyone can snowshoe with no lessons.

Of course I've seen a lot of people who basically use their cross country skis as if they were long narrow snowshoes and never learn to actually SKI with them! I go to Pole Knoll a lot in the winter (see HAZ write-up). A lot of beginners do the flatter trails there. With nobody to teach them you'll see them walking on their skis--I've seen a lot of that. It's too bad cuz xc skiing is way more fun than snowshoeing once you get the hang of it. I had one lesson, then learned out of a book. It took a bit of studying that book to get the hang of the turns, etc. I'm still not great at it, but I like that--there is still a lot to learn, so I won't get bored.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/23/2006, 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elizabeth, last year was the first year out x-country in over 10+ years, but didn't do too badly. My skills need improvement and I tired easily, but will hopefully get to go again this year. Yes starting out you tend to walk on them (more tiring than anything) that's why I think some people try it and say it is too hard. Once you get the forward swoosh and glide it is fun. Kinda reminds me of ice skating. Going uphill is a bit of work though. But, I have forgotten how to stop!!!! So until I get the hang of that again I'll either side step down the hill or use the ol' tush method to sit down on the back of skis to slow down before hitting a tree or end up in a creek. Rolling Eyes
May just have to try out snoeshoes though

azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/23/2006, 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don't you just love that tush method! Yes, it works! But the usual method is the snowplow. You sort of put your feet apart and point the skis towards each other with the bottoms of the skis at an angle, like a snowplow. Problem is you can sometimes cross the ski tips and oh, ouch! Takes a bit of practice not to do that!

Doing turns, the odd thing is you have to lean on the opposite ski than you would naturally think. So if turning left, you lean onto the right ski! Also you can learn to step around turns, but also having to remember at the same time that unnatural leaning on the "wrong" ski.

I'd recommend getting a book, with photos and written instructions. What my son Matt and I did (did you go to the BBQ last Sat. and meet Matt?) was pick a skill we thought we could learn from our book. We would read it, memorize or write down the directions for only one skill, then go to Pole Knoll and practice it. (This was after we had gotten the hang of the swoosh and glide.) Our book is 40 years old, but all the techniques are the same. It's an ancient sport, after all!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/9/2006, 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Its on now ! Hurry up and get it -- for those that missed it last time around!

Quote:
Reef makes the Fanning sandal as a tribute to pro-surfer and party-animal extraordinaire Mick Fanning. Surfers know that you have to bring as little as possible with you to the beach (or camp) , because you have nowhere to put it once you get there. That's why this pro-model sandal comes with a bottle opener built into the outer sole. Stash some cold ones in the bushes and crack ‘em open when the day is done.

Daryl

PostPosted: 12/19/2006, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gear Storm starts tonight at midnight-mst. 100 sick deals, 24 hours straight.
SteepandCheap.com. Don't Miss Out

Sounds like tomorrow might be an expensive day!

PostPosted: 12/19/2006, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Impulse Buy Alert!!!! Watch out you all out there ...... Crazy
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/19/2006, 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll be on the lookout. Some crappy sunglasses right now.
IGO

PostPosted: 12/20/2006, 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Steep and Cheap Daily Special Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Yesterdays was the Marmot Helium speelping back that was about 1/2 off.

Oh great. I got tired of seeing junk show up so I quite getting the emails and then the number 1 item on my wish list shows up. CRAP.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
paintninaz

PostPosted: 12/20/2006, 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Steep and Cheap Daily Special Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
Davis2001R6 wrote:
Yesterdays was the Marmot Helium speelping back that was about 1/2 off.

Oh great. I got tired of seeing junk show up so I quite getting the emails and then the number 1 item on my wish list shows up. CRAP.

IGO...don't feel bad. Check Tim's original post which contains that quote about the sleeping bag (look at the date it was posted Wink )...you haven't missed anything yet in the gear storm sale! Very Happy

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
IGO

PostPosted: 12/20/2006, 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How the heck did I land on that post.?
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/20/2006, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So what did ya snag ?

I got me a deal on a outerjacket from Mountain Hardware -- Sweet Very Happy and I missed managing to snag a matching fleece to go with it ... Sad and its already on its way even though I picked their cheapest shipping option!!!
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 1/10/2007, 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

nevermind, it sold out.

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: