ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Steep and Cheap Daily Special
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/29/2006, 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll keep an eye out. , 2 large day packs should do it. See what you would need for a minimal overnight and try to fit it in your big camelback.

You might not be able to bring your -40 sleeping bag though Sad
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/29/2006, 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Its a 0 degree bag and its the only one I have....

I want to shine!
Hnak

PostPosted: 1/29/2006, 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
Tim, I need a really cheap over night pack for south canyon... actually since we need two it would be wonderful if they were dirt cheap! See what you can do ok! Wink

I think your pack is ok. I'm probably going to bring my big one anyway. I'm just going to minimize what I put in it, such as only one stove, no extra meals (well, maybe one...), tarp instead of a tent, iodine instead of a filter, etc....
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 1/31/2006, 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

STP SALOMON trail runners $24.95 today only http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product.asp?base_no=65622?a=h&b=sbb_65622
- check on www.fatwallet.com for riddle answers for free shipping (may or may not apply to this discounted item)...

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/31/2006, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a pair of those trail runners, they have done me well. I got them on sale for about $40 at the time. They feel very lightweight on my foot as well.
IGO

PostPosted: 1/31/2006, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
They feel very lightweight on my foot as well.

"foot"? Did you give the other one to Diane?
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/1/2006, 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thats why it felt so lightweight then! I was only wearing one Smile
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/2/2006, 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Salomon Pro Amphibian Shoe - Women's $40.91 Regularly $84.95

Quote:

Description:
The Salomon Pro Amphib shoe is a slightly beefier version of Salomon's famed Tech Amphibian shoe. The Pro Amphibs blur the line between sandal and shoe. They protect your feet like shoes but drain water like a sandal via 5 drainage ports. And the 2-way stretch mesh upper and Kevlar laces won't absorb water so you don't carry around extra weight until your shoes dry. The Pro Amphib was built off the Tech Amphibian's last but has a heavier duty back, a women's specific design, and TPU buckles that increase durability and support. Salomon also added a measure of cushioning to the top for enhanced comfort. An adjustable, collapsible back folds down conveniently for slip-on mode. Try them with neoprene socks for cold water protection.

Steap and Cheap
Suz

PostPosted: 2/2/2006, 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, I love it when you find these steap and cheap deals!

It's a pretty cool looking shoe. I think REI even had them in Hot pink.
I have a pair of these (not that color) that I picked up in Vegas and have used them several times....don't really care for them. The lacing system is an issue and the traction just doesn't cut it on wet slick boulders. They are light weight and do drain water nicely. The 5-10 canyoneers are a much better option IMHO.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/2/2006, 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would agree the 510's are probably better for in water use, but these are more of a hybrid, 1/2 hiker 1/2 water.

These are pretty good for moderate terrain, like Aravaipa or Haunted Canyon.

Remember what the 510's did to you and HIG at Salt Trail, didn't you both eventually have some missing toenails?
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 2/2/2006, 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For the guys.....$35.00 http://www.sportsbasement.com/jump.jsp?iShadCat=1767&itemID=7154&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=1783&iSubCat=1807&iProductID=7154

Canyoneering shoe thread >> http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3115&highlight=catalyst

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/2/2006, 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Even better Kurt, I think that may be where I bought my last pair from a few months ago.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 2/2/2006, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Even better Kurt, I think that may be where I bought my last pair from a few months ago.

We couldn't let the guys miss out, could we, Tim.....

Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/2/2006, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Remember what the 510's did to you and HIG at Salt Trail, didn't you both eventually have some missing toenails?

Ya, that was a pretty major downhill excursion. I know I wasn't expecting it to be that bad. The problem with the 5.10s is the strap/buckle setup. Not designed to hold your foot in place like laces. In any 'normal' canyon they work great. That route banged the crap out of my toes. I can't fault the 5.10s for that.
Suz

PostPosted: 2/2/2006, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Davis2001R6 wrote:

Ya, that was a pretty major downhill excursion. I know I wasn't expecting it to be that bad.

I LOVED that route! Can't wait until we do it again in May!! (not sure what shoes I'm going to wear this time so keep looking TIM) Perhaps I'll still be toenail-less and won't have to worry about it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: