ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mountain Biking more harmful than hiking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 11/30/2005, 2:04 pm    Post subject: Mountain Biking more harmful than hiking Reply to topic Reply with quote

I didn't read the whole article, but the headline grabbed my attention (as any headline is supposed to) - and with such a bold statement, I'm inclined to use a bit of skepticism, but -- I'll leave the analysis to others who know better.

Science Proves Mountain Biking is More Harmful than Hiking

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
azhiker96

PostPosted: 11/30/2005, 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I scanned the article. (It's pretty long.) I wonder about their premise though. I can easily see the same premise applied to hiking. After all, hiking trails also damage the environment although not as much as mountain bikes which are less invasive than motorbikes, etc. If we must have hiking trails so that people can enjoy the wilderness then what about ADA? Do the trails have to be accessable for disabled? I'm sure there's lots of fun discussion stuff here. Probably little to solve though. I'd rather go hiking! Smile
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/1/2006, 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm a mountain biker and a hiker. I do agree, however, with the article. It seems that certain aficiados of mountain biking can have similar attitudes to those who ride ATVs and dirt bikes. That is, they think the out-of-doors is one big rollercoaster put there for them to have fun. A person in this state of mind is looking for thrills, not for a spiritual experience, nor peace and quiet, nor solitude, nor wildlife viewing, etc. There are many mtn. bikers I know who, despite having the rollercoaster mentality, do take care to stay on the trails, not litter, be courteous to hikers and equestrians, etc. But it's true that the bikes do change the trails, causing erosion in certain soil types.
I live in the White Mountains. I have a hard time finding anyone to hike, backpack or mtn. bike with in my very rural town (Eagar) let alone meeting others on the trail when I am out by myself. When I'm out there, if I meet a hiker or mtn. biker, they may be surprised that I ask if they live in the area, would they like to get together and hike or bike with me, can I have their email address or phone number?
Up here, though, we do have some trails that were built specifically by and for mtn. bikers. Hikers and horses can use them, but it was the (very small indeed) mtn. biking community that was the force behind getting these trails built by the Forest Service. Also up here we have a lot of 4wd roads that are pretty fun to ride. Your bike isn't going to cause any more damage than has already been caused by the ATVs and jeeps. And again, generally it's not crowded. Which is why I live here. You guys can HAVE Phoenix, or Tucson (where I used to live.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: