ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
shirts and stickers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
I'm going to respectfully ask that no one even consider a discussion of a ArizonaHikers calendar featuring Hoolie...on Squaw Peak....in a two piece... Crazy

Hey ck1.....and the horse you rode in on Silly
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm going to respectfully ask that no one even consider a discussion of a ArizonaHikers calendar featuring Hoolie...on Squaw Peak....in a two piece...

Suppose Camelback Mountain be a better setting?

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm going to respectfully ask that no one even consider a discussion of a ArizonaHikers calendar featuring Hoolie...on Squaw Peak....in a two piece...

okay - you guys are seriously weirding me out here. Just the THOUGHT of Hooli in a two piece is HORRIFYING Shocked

I think I need therapy just thinking about it....

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:

I think I need therapy just thinking about it....

Daddee, I can think of any number of reasons you need therapy Razz

But to get back on topic Embarassed Paintninaz has taken a shot at a logo that looks pretty good. No formal competition, but the more disigns the merrier and I think our two stalwart (that a word?) site builders should make the choice; this is their baby and they should get to decide how she looks.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is a frightening thot isnt it? Shocked

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Where can I see her submission for a logo?

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
paintninaz

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
but the more disigns the merrier

I whole heartedly agree, the more designs the merrier!! I was just helping to get the ball Rolling

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
mike t

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey! All this brings up something I've been thinkin bout but have put off posting. Maybe it was discussed already at the startup meeting. What about advertising? Personally, one of the things I liked about the old site was the distinct lack of it. I've registered at other sites, only to have E-mail pushing steroids and other crap I don't want before I even signed off. On the other hand I understand the need to support this infrastructure. I would probably go along with some kind of limited ads, but don't want to be solicited uninvited, and forget those porridge pop-up screens. This cafepress strikes me as OK. Kind of "don't call me, I'll call you" type of a thing. Also how about this? I know we have a number of self employeds and freelancers and such. Could we let them advertise kind of exclusively for a nominal fee, prior to letting the big boys in from the outside. Personally, I would be more than happy to support a fellow member rather than a stranger if I found myself in need of their services/products. We often know a member does some particular job and everyone has been very cool about not blatantly soliciting. I say let 'em --- in an organized manner --- if there is general agreement.
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike t, I've talked seriously to GTG and plan on getting together with him and Mike when I get back from my trip to CA. As of now, they are not incurring ANY out of pocket expense other than the domain registration which was under $30. I really pressed GTG hard on that point and GTG is NOT gonna BS me or anyone else and neither will Mike. We couldn't have two better people running this show.
I've made them promise to keep me updated on that on a regular basis. Well actually just made GTG promise, but I plan on getting the same promise from Mike. Nobody in their position can guaranty there will never be ads, but I know they share your concerns.
cakewalk

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am completely against sending spam to people to register here. I am also against pop ups / unders/ overs of any kind, they are just too intrusive.

I would have no problem with a link button or ( non-flashing ) banner. As long as its MY CHOICE to click it.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey - I'll do whatever it takes to keep all of the above listed atrocities against humanity from occurring on this site. Hell, I'd subsidize the whole thing personally to the point of selling my car to pay for it if I had to. This site not having any of that is one of the few refuges for the tired web-surfing soul.

- Abraham Lincoln
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK people, My 50cents worth(inflation ya know)you're getting way, way ahead of yourselves and selling a couple of very, very good people short. If you don't think they have your interests at heart you're very sadly mistaken. They're working their butts off....ALL ON THEIR OWN TIME.......Ya know they both have day jobs.......and let's not make them have to come here and spend MORE OF THEIR OWN PERSONAL TIME to tell you what you should already know. I'm sorry, but all this talk about, we won't stand for ads etc. is really pissing me off. Trust these guys to look out for us as they did when they got together on very short notice and gave us this great site and knock all this Ads BS off!

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just realized I can't edit the above, so want to add this; only a few are posting concerns about ads.....but in all likelihood nearly every other member's going to come here and read your posts. Next thing you know some of them are out on a hike together and someone's gonna ask, "Did ya hear they're gonna put ads on the site?" response, "Read something about it a couple of days ago, but didn't know it was gonna happen so soon! Wait'll I tell (so & so) he/she's really gonna be pissed 'cause I've heard him/her say how they won't got to a site that has all those ads!" etc. etc. etc. Rumors get started and next thing you know all hell breaks lose and two guys are gonna have to defend themselves against those rumors. Yeah, feeling snippy tonight!
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

OK people, My 50cents worth(inflation ya know)you're getting way, way ahead of yourselves and selling a couple of very, very good people short

Don't get your dander up ther Hooli. I know just as well as you how great these two guys that are doing all the heavy lifting for this site. I think that we are more expressing the thought that we really, really, REALLY appreciate the fact that we DON"T have anything like that here, and we are all too willing to make sure it never happens - even if something terrible were to happen and Mike and GTG were unable to continue in their current all too generous role in directing this site.

Believe me - I know - we are truly blessed and very thankful that we have two such people as Mike and GTG running point for this operation. Don't ever think we think differently. And if anyone ever tries to slight them in any way - I'll be the first one in the fray defending them.

So - I think we can all relax now.... Cool

- Abraham Lincoln
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Just realized I can't edit the above, so want to add this

Hooli, was that you? You've got yourself so worked up, you forgot to log back in, "Guest".
This was brought up at the meeting, I know you weren't there. From what I remember, everyone there agreed that the site should be as Ad free as possible. If it should ever have come to the point that the site has to start paying for itself, maybe some well placed, small links. No popups/unders, none of that kind of crap. I agree with you, we are in good hands with Mike and GTG. If it comes that time, they will come to us before just tossing a bunch of ads all over.

My $.02.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: