ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Detached retina/not the best Christnas present
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 12/19/2005, 7:32 am    Post subject: Detached retina/not the best Christnas present Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had emergency surgery Sat night to reatach the retina in my right eye(good one)...It was terrifying as my left eye had the same surgery in '82 and lost some vision. I got down on my knees and prayed in the hospital that I would be able to work and see after...there were no other options or guarantees..Thank God I had an excellent surgeon, Dr. Kumar Rao,of Retinal Consultants of Az.,skilled and compassionate. You never know what life will throw your way and I am so thankful to be able to type this message today. It was a reality check for me...anytime from now on,that anything in my body is doing something out of the ordinary, I will seek help immediately! Another life lesson!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/19/2005, 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Loosing eyesight scares me more than anything! Glad your surgery went well!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/19/2005, 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad your surgery worked out well - Its kinda scary.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/19/2005, 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How true, we forget how our quality of life depends on health. I'm glad it went well for you.
DesertDog

PostPosted: 12/19/2005, 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Detached retina/not the best Christnas present Reply to topic Reply with quote

GeorgAz wrote:
You never know what life will throw your way and I am so thankful to be able to type this message today.

I'm happy your surgery went well. Cool

I have a friend who, as I'm typing this, is undergoing surgery to replace a herniated disc in his neck with cadaver bone.
He walked out his front door, tripped, and came very close to something much worse than this operation.
He is a physician with a 2 YO son and a 3 month-old daughter.

Man, it can all change so quickly at any time.

When I spoke with his wife this morning, she told me how they talked at the hospital about their priorities in life, and how this will end up being a good thing.
Live grateful and appreciate this day, people.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 12/19/2005, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So glad it went well!

Now continue to get out and enjoy the beauty. Make each one count!

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/19/2005, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hope all continues to go well for you Georga. I know how you feel as I lost the central vision in my right eye six years ago. I only have peripheral vision in that eye now, no stereo vision at all. When you get down to one......... Well, lets just say that sight is my favorite sense. Hearing is a good one as well. Winston would make a poor service dog. Mr. Green

Good luck to you.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/19/2005, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

God bless you! I am glad all is well. There is so much to see!

I want to shine!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/19/2005, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Georg,

Sorry to hear that you needed emergency surgery but glad to hear that they were able to treat you timely and save your vision in that eye. Dr. Rao is an excellent physician and well known in the medical community.

After working for ophthalmologists for years on the east coast, we saw many patients with retinal detachments. Symptoms usually include: flashing lights, floaters, blackness in visual field and the sensation that a curtain is being drawn over your eye.

Glad you recognized the symptoms and hopefully will be recuperated in no time!

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 12/19/2005, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My George, I'm so glad all went well and your able to see. Yes we sometimes forget to take notice figuring it will clear up on its own. A very welcome Christmas present for you... Hoping the new year brings Good things to you... Take care.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Hnak

PostPosted: 12/19/2005, 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My congratulations too! There's just so much out there to see, I'm happy that you are able to enjoy it!!

Have a wonderful Christmas and New Years!! Mr. Green
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 12/19/2005, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good that everything turned out ok with that. Hope the rest of your holidays is uneventful-----------take care!!
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 12/19/2005, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Success comes in many different forms. I'm glad that the surgury was successful and all is well...Merry Christmas! Mary
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 12/20/2005, 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you all so very much for your wishes and concern for me....I have been given a reality check and a second chance and only God knows the reason. I am thankful for the skill of the medical profession and so many caring friends. I have just lost a co-worker to a long battle with cancer and another landed in the hospital for a stint and is now back at work. I think I am going to burn sage in the salon, as I think someone put a mojo on us...I pray that '06 is a better year. Thank you all again..life and sight is so very precious. Have a great holiday and do a hike or two for me!
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 12/31/2005, 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Update... I tried working and it is extremely difficult....vision not improving much and having depth perception issues due to dilation of pupil..(didn't mess up any haircolor or nip any ears, though Shocked )..surgery is only 2 wks.old and I hope and pray it gets better.... I am still very terrified, especially still facing those back issues ;as that is becoming active again... I hope and pray for healing and a better coming year...Hope you all have a great New Year's Eve, Day, hike , whatever you do....enjoyand God bless! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: