ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Digital Topos and the Flu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGO

PostPosted: 12/15/2005, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Digital Topos and the Flu Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here's what a backpacking computer geek does when he's stuck in the house with the flu.
http://thirdrockfrom.org/topos.htm
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/15/2005, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks IGO, good info for anyone looking into software. After looking at that I must say I liked the info that the National Geographic maps had a lot better. Garmin's was way too busy. Delorme looked nice but lacked a info.
Cholla

PostPosted: 12/15/2005, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks for posting this. Next time I'll go around the big rock and not try and climb over it. Laughing

Actually, you have taught me to trust the map and not my brain. It's easy to make a mistake when in some popular areas you come across social trails that can confuse you. I have also been mislead once by trusting information by an "authority" that lead me off course.

Nothing like a good map and knowing how to read it.

I also like the Trails Illustrated maps, but usually will carry two different maps in a new area.
IGO

PostPosted: 12/15/2005, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There are multiple layers on both the Garmin and the Delorme. Some I have on in the images, some I have turned off. There is a bunch more to turn on in the Delorme, which is my favorite. The cool thing about Garmin is when it get's too busy you can drop back the amount of elevation between contour lines and still keep the same scale, kinda like just errasing every other contour line.
I've always been a fan of trails Illustrated, I've got a bunch of these maps predating National Geographic. I beleive National Geographic simply scans the paper maps from the looks of the graphics. When I plan cross county, I studdy something in all of them before I go.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 12/15/2005, 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The art of orienteering will improve but x amount with increased comfort with map and compass. In time a basic knowledge of why the land is the way it is is what will really get you through in the canyon. You made a great point in your post. Years ago the best way to stay found on the Hermit or Boucher was not to avoid cliffing out or heading aimlessly into never never land but to stop within 3 steps, and back step 3 steps, on a trail that all of a sudden vaporises. In that spot you could then turn around, look back up behind you and see dozens, if not hundreds of criss-crossing meandorings heading in all directions. Burrows.
I guess they are all but gone now; it's sure easier to pick up the hiking trail these days that's for sure.
Did you ever put in for an Escalante permit? They took a bunch of money out of my checking account so I know I got something but haven't seen the paper yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: