ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Personal Fear Factor- caving

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 12/11/2005, 12:43 pm    Post subject: Personal Fear Factor- caving Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've watched that show maybe two times or so, to see what gross thing they are eating, but not a big fan.
But I have a big appreciation for what absolute sheer terror can do for you and to you.

Cave trip--four of us, I am the least experienced climber, a fair amount of vertical work, rappeling and free climbing, and some protected climbing. Beautiful and challenging cave, to get us ready for the "big leagues"---in the works late 2006 a big Mexico international caving trip, to some big pits ( over 700 feet free vertical) to some underground rivers etc.
Ok--- so we start out, I am getting more comfortable on some basic climbing. What is difficult in caves is you can't readily see some handholds and footholds, not only because of the shape of the face you are climbing but the limits of your lighting. It has helped on my fear of heights, however I had my limits tested this trip.
We set up a couple of ropes, again good education on rigging, rope handling. Our first rappel/protected climb is to the "cellar", down a steep shaft with few holds and and undulating ceiling so you can stand some or kneel other times. My frigging Petzel stop is a pain on the stiff and dirty rope, I almost have to feed it, as I am not heavy enough. Sure won't descend too fast on that thing. Off rope and then crawl, chimney, then to the "window". Here is where I loose it, have several long moments of absolute panic. At the window you mount this ledge like a horse, then grab a hold and swing over. Under your feet is nothing and a long wall with a big view into a big room. It is a high unprotected lateral traverse on wet slippery flow stone. As soon as I saw the possible fall I choked. I was with a team, we were deep in the cave, and I was panicking. Credit to the guys for recognizing my fear and sticking close. I don't know how they did it, but they talked and guided me down. I think I have never held onto rock cracks and crevices so tightly in my life. You recognize if you go nothing will stop you. I was pretty wiped out after that little sortie but the rooms we were visiting were staggeringly beautiful and I was allowed photo time to recover. See if you think the pics were worth it.

I have learned to trust my harness and rope, have a long way to go to trust my rock cliimbing skills.
We continued on and looped back climbing out the same way. I did a lot better that time, but we handed over packs.
Up we went, I was pleased with my ascending set up, a chest/harness combo with a croll on rope mid way, so I had hands free climbing without having to much manually move the ascender, yet with weight it held comfortingly on the rope.

Now to drop the "lavender pit", another descent more vertical rappel in a huge gorgeous room. A few moments of just sitting in space in your harness. I love this part. This area of the cave is known as the "skydome" ---it is huge with big formations in it. One column 60 feet tall, 70-80 foot sheets of flow stone and curtains. We have lunch here and wander around, marveling at differents sights large and small. I don't eat much, force myself for energy sake, as I know I will be tired coming out, and we have more climbing ahead. We ascend a different way, protected climbing in a slipppery chimney. Your butt, knees, elbows get a workout also, as you use whatever you have for friction. Its a fairly lengthy climb with a hairy crux move at the top, you don't want to miss your hold you are lunging for lest you pendulum out into space. Since I am on rope it doesn' t bother me here. It is taxing physically. The cave is warm/ high humidity----I am in shorts and a tank top, you are sweating,
your arms and legs want to cramp up. I realized I need to learn efficiency with my movements to conserve strength.

We continue out the loop. This is a ten hour day, we come out with moonrise, not too cold. I am not as tired as I thought, everyone is talkative and happy, I thank the guys for looking out for and putting up with me. I know it is part of the training.
Even though I was terrified moments along the way, it was gratifying to see it though and complete the journey through this spectacular cave. And the future???------
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/11/2005, 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Your a brave one, I think that would be a "Fear Factor" for all of us. I don't mind climbing when I can see, but in the dark I'm sure i wouldn't like! Shocked
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 12/11/2005, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Letty your photo's of the surreal underground world are stunning.

You are indeed a true adventurer, I have experienced that intense fear that borders on the edge of panic, although it be in a different situation, I understand what you were feeling.

Be safe!!!!!!!
azhiker96

PostPosted: 12/11/2005, 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing. Great pictures.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/14/2005, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cool adventure Letty. I have started that caving book I told you about and it just scares me half to death. Very intriguing but like a scary movie.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 12/14/2005, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal Fear Factor- caving Reply to topic Reply with quote

RedRoxx44 wrote:
in the works late 2006 a big Mexico international caving trip, to some big pits ( over 700 feet free vertical) to some underground rivers etc. Here is where I loose it, have several long moments of absolute panic. At the window you mount this ledge like a horse, then grab a hold and swing over. Under your feet is nothing and a long wall with a big view into a big room. It is a high unprotected lateral traverse on wet slippery flow stone. As soon as I saw the possible fall I choked.
I have learned to trust my harness and rope, have a long way to go to trust my rock cliimbing skills.
We continued on and looped back climbing out the same way. I did a lot better that time, but we handed over packs.
Up we went, I was pleased with my ascending set up, a chest/harness combo with a croll on rope mid way, so I had hands free climbing without having to much manually move the ascender, yet with weight it held comfortingly on the rope.

A few moments of just sitting in space in your harness. I love this part. This area of the cave is known as the "skydome" ---it is huge with big formations in it. One column 60 feet tall, 70-80 foot sheets of flow stone and curtains. We have lunch here and wander around, marveling at differents sights large and small. I don't eat much, force myself for energy sake, as I know I will be tired coming out... I am not as tired as I thought, everyone is talkative and happy, I thank the guys for looking out for and putting up with me. I know it is part of the training.
Even though I was terrified moments along the way, it was gratifying to see it though and complete the journey through this spectacular cave. And the future???------

Outstanding! Caving is climbing+

When there is nothing below, and your headlight isn't showing the ledges you want to be there, you have to solve the problem in real time. Maybe much worse than being on a 1,000 foot vertical pitch in the sunlight and hanging from one hand hold Smile

Keep it up, Letty!
A few of us will be following your handholds!

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: