ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Don't be a lurker!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 10:37 am    Post subject: Don't be a lurker! Reply to topic Reply with quote

It struck me that as we have a new site here, and it's a new year, there's the opportunity for some new site/years resolutions.

These forums are the heart of the site. Don't be a lurker. We've already seen posts by some ex-lurkers - tinhorn and srlatty come to mind - and there are others out there too. Get in here and tell people what you're thinking about or ask questions! Everybody has something to contribute, and there are no such things as dumb questions... if there were, I'd have been publicly flogged time and again. It's a rare day that passes when I didn't learn something new here.

Sometimes newcomers or lurkers are reluctant to post because they feel like outsiders or may not know who or what is being talked about. Everyone of us here was a newcomer or lurker at one time and just decided to jump in. You can too.

One of the remarkable qualities of this site specifically is the genuine civility of it all. There are plenty of other outdoor sites that are downright hostile towards newcomers and have an established order of 'elders' and post-hogs. This does not happen here, in large part, due to the underlying element of respect we have for each other. If but the rest of the world behaved as such.

So start down a new trail this year and make it a point to contribute here. You are welcome!

-Nealz

-P. J. O'Rourke
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Being an ex-lurker, I have to agree with you Nealz! I would read almost every post, but was a little reluctant to post since you all seemed to have such a close knit community already. When the old site shut down, I realized that if I had been more involved, it would be easy to reconnect. Thanks to Hooli, I got in touch with GTG and found out about this great new place that we have. Very Happy I take this new site as a sign of a new beginning and want to become more involved. So, if you don't hear from me in a while, rattle my cage! I'll be stalking, I mean lurking, out there somewhere!
Kristyn

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You know I found the old site at a time when it seemed there were close knit groups, but that feeling goes away real quick once you start to post and become involved. I haven't met half of these people, but the ones I have will be friends forever. Awesome people! All it takes is one hike and you're hooked! Very Happy

Post away, someone is always looking for a buddy to hike with.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

lurk ( P ) (lūrk)
intr.v. lurked, lurk·ing, lurks
To lie in wait, as in ambush.
To move furtively; sneak.
To exist unobserved or unsuspected: danger lurking around every bend.

Yes, please refrain from "lurking" - we fear you Shocked

And don't be afraid to point out that somebody made a reference you don't understand. Tinhorn is a perfect example - Hooli and I were going off on each other, and tinhorn wanted to know what we were refering to - so we told him. No secrets here.

Except for my secret identity. Twisted Evil

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Daddee--Here's a quick question or for anyone else. What does it mean when I see "BTW" in a post? I can't remember now how I've seen it used but I have seen it used fairly often...
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Higgs, BTW is short for "By The Way" just internet shorthand.
And on the lurking thing:
I moved to Arizona (I often refer to my new state as The Wonderful Land of AZ!)
in April, little less than two years ago without knowing a single, solitary soul. Now, I've developed friendships with a few neighbors and with some golfing buddies, but the closest friends I have are those I met on the old site! And I made those friends because I posted and got involved. (I know, some are saying "Did he ever!" Rolling Eyes ) I've only met some of those friends face to face once or twice....and some never! Yet they are my friends!
If you're only interested in picking up the hiking info and prefer not to post, that's OK....but you be missing the chance to develop some lifelong friendships.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I really dont understand why somebody would lign up to something and not get involved. With the last site there was so much info I can understand that people would sign up just to get the info, but here its just a disscussion board, why sign up and just lurk.
I found it quite easy to get involved in the last one since i was looking for people to hike with being new to the area. I was invited to come to the picacho peak hike. I have to say that this is one of the freindliest communities on the internet that i have been to. Alot of others seam to bash each other and you get alot of stupid people trying to ruin everybodys fun.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanx Hooli!! Laughing

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I take this new site as a sign of a new beginning and want to become more involved.

This is so perfect for me. I happened upon HAZ at an questionable time in my life. I was afraid to become too involved in anything. The day I tried to log on to HAZ and found out of it's dimise I was lost. Thanks to GeorgeAz I was reconnected. That to me was a sign. The people here are, as I told Mike, the most genuine group of people I've ever encountered. No lurking for me.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've only met a couple of folks here 'cause I live on the mountain. I'm afraid the only time I speak up is when I know something so that is not too often Rolling Eyes I really like to listen in to your valley adventures so I'll just lurk a little. MP
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MP, your posts may have been few, but they they all had meat on their bones. Personally I'll look forward to those "not too often posts"
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I'll just lurk a little

I agree with Hooli - share and share often. You always had good things to say in the past, I I too looked forward to hearing from you. Remember, this is all new territory, so you can post things you may have posted in the past again - all those old posts have gone the way of the Dodo. Enlighten us anew...

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
ck1

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
Quote:

I'll just lurk a little

I agree with Hooli - share and share often. You always had good things to say in the past, I I too looked forward to hearing from you. Remember, this is all new territory, so you can post things you may have posted in the past again - all those old posts have gone the way of the Dodo. Enlighten us anew...

I likewise agree! I like the variety of posts. We have all the extremes. There's SydHayes who doesn't post often, but when he does, it's precise and it's from experience. That's a great resource. Then there's Glen who can tell a story like nobody I know. Coupled with his pictures, now that's a great post! The 'Zumas up in Rimrock-John and Susan- made everybody crazy jealous this summer with their trip reports from the road. Their posts are usually longer, but again, filled with insight. Then there's the off topic banter, usually involving Hoolie Question and the gang(you know who you are Very Happy ). They rip on each other, but then get back to the topic and provide honest, usefull input. Nealz and Fritzski don't post as often, but again, when they do, there is substance to it. Kristyn mentioned when she arrived, along with Jmsblond, that they jumped right it. That was interesting to watch (as a preverbial "regular"), b/c they did just that, they jumped in, feet first...and did just fine.

This is an interesting group. I don't know that you can appreciate it as well if you're not involved.

"The Journey is the Destination"
shy

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wink What can we say. Some people just like lurking. And Neal...talk about someone who has been quiet on some other forums this last year...

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

We have all the extremes

And then there's Ck1. If you need information on just about anything, anywhere, he's right there with very accurate info. Even in the 'heartland'. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: