ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
info on Reavis Gap-Fireline-Campain
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 11/14/2005, 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mikeinFHAZ wrote:
should we do this loop clockwise - Rogers Canyon to Frog tanks to Reavis?
or counter-clockwise?
Im thinking down Rogers, up Frog to Reavis, then down again to the trough.
do tell!

Mike,
Y'all might consider West Pinto (212) to Campaign - then Fireline over to the Ranch & back the Froggy & R.Trough.
It likely will get you the (more) miles you were lookin' for & avoid the Reavis Trail. Also retains the (easy) option to hit Circlestone when comin' over the F/L. into Reavis Valley.
Merely my (over-priced @ ) opinion.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 11/21/2005, 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike here is some water status.

We did an out and back via the Reavis Trail to Reavis Gap to Campaign, 29 miles Saturday.

Water as usual at Reavis

Water at Pine Creek where Reavis Gap trails crosses. Not a lot but it is moving and is pumpable.

A good amount of water in Campaign Creek where Reavis Gap and Campaign intersect.

Lots of organics ( large Sycamore leaves floating on all water sources, but water was moving and still in an aerobic state. Standing water will be going anaerobic from all the organics depleting the oxygen supply and will be rancid.

Going the Route you have chosen down Frog Tanks may limit you to Reavis as your only good reliable water source, so prepare accordinly.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/21/2005, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thanks Kent, I was told there is pooled water near the R. canyon/F. tanks confluence just before Angel basin. Hoping for some rain too, as we all are.

what i do
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/21/2005, 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So who is this mystery person you speak of?
Lizard

PostPosted: 11/21/2005, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If there isn't a pool of water at the Roger/Fish confluence, you can turn and head upstream up Fish Creek. There are some pools in bedrock just upstream that are big enough to swim in. I saw a turtle in one of the pools, so they are very likely permanent.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 11/22/2005, 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The pools more than likely are there, the question is are they aerobic or anaerobic, it all will depend on the organics that found there way in. They may be fine and dandy they may be rancid.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 11/22/2005, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mikeinFHAZ wrote:
sredfield wrote:
I've been thinking of doing that loop again. Hmmmmmm

hmmm.... Ryan is in the TOoK, Shawn is in the ToOk. sounds like we got a carpool.
so we are going in on the Rogers Trough T/H?
I might be up for it, too. Though I've been in all the adjacent areas, that route would complete a big piece of my personal supes map.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/22/2005, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

we'd love to have you Jim-
we will be leaving from Awatukee to the Rogers Trough t/h on Sun morning at 7,
hiking up to Reavis for night one.
Leaving Reavis and going up to the Frog trail then back down to Angel Basin for night two.
Simple 4 mile hike back to the X on day three.

Dec 18,19,20

what i do
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 11/22/2005, 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW wrote:
Though I've been in all the adjacent areas, that route would complete a big piece of my personal supes map.

Feel free to join in! It should be a great little trip.

It's good to hear there is SOME water to be found, but it has to rain soon. Mabye I'll just wash my truck a week before departure. Laughing
JW

PostPosted: 11/22/2005, 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

DesertRoux wrote:
JW wrote:
Though I've been in all the adjacent areas, that route would complete a big piece of my personal supes map.

Feel free to join in! It should be a great little trip.

It's good to hear there is SOME water to be found, but it has to rain soon. Mabye I'll just wash my truck a week before departure. Laughing
That should work, otherwise I have a method with the weather...Smile though it's usually Heat's fault.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/22/2005, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, it didn't storm on us up on the ridgeline this year, so it's gotta be Heat's fault.

Shades
JW

PostPosted: 11/22/2005, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Well, it didn't storm on us up on the ridgeline this year, so it's gotta be Heat's fault. Shades
No question, bro! Heat didn't hike, I was continuously lost; go figure!

Vashti

PostPosted: 11/26/2005, 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was happy to see this post - I was thinking of doing either a loop or one-way from the Upper Horrell Trailhead to Circlestone. My handy-dandy Beartooth Superstition Wilderness Map shows the mileage of the loop only (without Circlestone) to be about 15 miles.

Any update on trail conditions of the Campaign Trail, Fireline, and Reavis Gap Trails in this loop? How is the road up to the upper Horrel Trailhead? What is the mileage from the Fireline to Circlestone? Where approximately is the spur turnoff to go to Cirlestone? Questions, questions.

Any info is much appreciated! Smile Hoping to do this hike bright and early tomorrow morning! Need to walk off all the turkey! Smile

ESCAPE the CUBE!!
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 12/10/2005, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anybody else contemplating going with us?

Kerouac
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/20/2005, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

it seems the areas where the others spotted water have dried, there is no decent water from Plow Saddle spring to the Rogers trailhead.

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: