ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
info on Reavis Gap-Fireline-Campain
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/11/2005, 4:16 pm    Post subject: info on Reavis Gap-Fireline-Campain Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was thinking of taking the upper Horrell 4x4 road and making this loop, what I would like to know is the loop mileage, and how is the H2O sitch.
AZheat? Shi?

what i do
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 11/11/2005, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The loop is around 16 miles. Your only reliable water is going to be at Reavis Ranch. There may be water at Brushy Spring which is about a mile or mile and a half from the Campaign/Fireline intersection(on the Campaign)

Parts of the Campaign were altered from the high flood waters last winter and spring. The outgrowth of catclaw and other pokey things has been extraordinarally explosive, so may slow you down in areas.

It is a great hike.

Were you planning on doing it clockwise or counter-clockwise?
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/11/2005, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

whichever way is downhill both directions!

thanks for the quick response. We would love the challenge of this one, but what do you think of the Reavis-Frog tanks-Rogers canyon loop?
I was also hoping for about 25 mile loop with water.

what i do
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 11/11/2005, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would go up Reavis Gap to Reavis Trail and return via Fireline, i.e. counter-clockwise. The climb up Fireline from Campaign would be slippery and steep, although aliens may teleport up it....You may find water in Campaign if it has rained recently.

Frog Springs is a great, great hike, either from Rogers Trough TH or from the Apache Lake side. Probable water near the junction of Fish Creek and Rogers Canyon and near Angel Basin north of the Ruins half a click. I love the area between Reavis Trail and Angel Basin. Pretty wild and beautiful. Verrry Beary....Be sure to bear bag here, as well as the other route....-R
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/11/2005, 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thanks Randy that hike was the original plan.
will be doing the Gap around Dec. 18 through 21, lazily Very Happy

what i do
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 11/11/2005, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Verrry Beary

10-4 on that, although when we did this loop awhile back in Oct there was not near the sign as last year.

The Frog Tanks trail is a slower go than what you would think so plan accordingly. As Randy said it is a great hike, again when you get down in the Creeks and drainages things have changed and the way to go isn't very apparent or non-apparent so have your maps.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 11/12/2005, 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike, I've only gone up the fireline trail and down the Gap, and I believe that it's about 20-21 miles (you can also include Circle Stone, as you'll be passing by it). I would not want to come up the Gap, as there is so much scree. I have also looked at the Frog Tank, and thought that I would like to do that loop some time. I'm uncertain about water, other than at Reavis. I have an other friend who would be interested in both of these trips. Mary

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
-Lou Whitaker
Lizard

PostPosted: 11/12/2005, 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've done both the loops you're asking about. Both are very nice, though I prefer the Ranch/Frog Tanks/Roger's Canyon loop for scenery. Both can be completed as an overnight, but three days is nicer.

In addition to Reavis Ranch and Brushy Spring, you may also be able to find water in Pine Creek where it crosses the Reavis Gap trail. There are some mighty fine campsites on either side of the creek as well.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/12/2005, 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

wow you guys are great.

the dedicated plan is to go out on the ranch,frog,rogers trails for 2 nights 3 days.
Mary you can come along it will be Dec. 18 19 20 unless the schedule changes which it might, pushing the trip back a day. (17-19th)
The group is a varied age including DesertRoux, Fairweather, and myself with 1 other. These guys are fun, Ive hiked with them several times.

what i do
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 11/12/2005, 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mikeinFHAZ wrote:
These guys are fun, Ive hiked with them several times.

We have a good time on our little adventures. By all means if your interested in joining up feel free to get in touch with one of us. We'd be happy to fill you in on the details. The invite goes for anyone.
Cool
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 11/13/2005, 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

DesertRoux wrote:
The invite goes for anyone.
Cool

That is anyone who feels like putting up with me Rolling Eyes

Kerouac
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/13/2005, 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been thinking of doing that loop again. Hmmmmmm
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/13/2005, 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sredfield wrote:
I've been thinking of doing that loop again. Hmmmmmm

hmmm.... Ryan is in the TOoK, Shawn is in the ToOk. sounds like we got a carpool.
so we are going in on the Rogers Trough T/H?
I took my ranger there twice and did fine when dry. The X should have no problem.

what i do
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/13/2005, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

should we do this loop clockwise - Rogers Canyon to Frog tanks to Reavis?
or counter-clockwise?
Im thinking down Rogers, up Frog to Reavis, then down again to the trough.
do tell!

what i do
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/13/2005, 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow...this trip sounds great but I already know I have to work that weekend crunching numbers Sad Maybe Mary and I are thinking of the same person but I know someone who also wants to do this trip so I'll pass the info on.

Have a great time and I can't wait to see the pics and read the write up.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: