ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Backpacking coffee problems solved!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
MossPiglet

PostPosted: 2/15/2006, 12:15 pm    Post subject: coffee/caffeine Reply to topic Reply with quote

just bring some beans to chew on, or mix 'em with your trail mix. does "patented extraction process" include methylene chloride extraction?
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 7/17/2006, 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A new entry...

http://www.rrfw.org/detail.php?itemcode=1007

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 7/17/2006, 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cynhikr wrote:
A new entry...

I can dig it.

With my culinary bravado to protect I much, much prefer a french press, but that is great gadget. I still backpack with my FP but Im unable to put anything else in it except coffee. It is definatly comfort weight. I don't dare cross contaminate my java love pump. Only problem I see is that plastic of that mug type soakes up flavors. Would bum me out to have a great tea turn to mocha taint.

If it fits all cheapo plastic mugs that would be awesome. Use a mug for a few trip then buy a new one once it gets funky.

Nice find.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 7/17/2006, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

DesertRoux wrote:
Cynhikr wrote:
A new entry...

I can dig it.

With my culinary bravado to protect I much, much prefer a french press, but that is great gadget. I still backpack with my FP but Im unable to put anything else in it except coffee. It is definatly comfort weight. I don't dare cross contaminate my java love pump. Only problem I see is that plastic of that mug type soakes up flavors. Would bum me out to have a great tea turn to mocha taint.

If it fits all cheapo plastic mugs that would be awesome. Use a mug for a few trip then buy a new one once it gets funky.

Nice find.

A 1/4 teaspoon of bleach (or 2-3 tbsp. of sodium bicarbonate - more time required) mixed with water in the mug for 20 min. (or less) should rectify.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
IGO

PostPosted: 7/17/2006, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

O Lord. Dianes gonna have an entire gear closet just for coffee makin' gizmos -n- do dads.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 7/17/2006, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ah man. A real coffee mug ain't no good 'til it's gotten funky.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/17/2006, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's gross! Where is that little pukey guy that I see on here some times?

I want to shine!
IGO

PostPosted: 7/17/2006, 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No it's not. I keep a tidy ship but my favorite coffee mug has only ever been rinsed. There are a bunch of coffee nuts, especially old sailors who will tell you that washing your favorite coffee mug ruins it. Very Happy
grrlscout

PostPosted: 7/18/2006, 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anybody try one of these suckers? It's a thingie that coverts your Nalgene into a french press. Looks pretty nifty:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 7/18/2006, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It does not work well, it's hard to get a good seal on the nalgene and you wind up with coffee grounds above the filter. I picked one up a few months ago and have been deeply disatisfied with it so far. My favorite still goes to the Jetboil (if you can spring for the hefty price tag on it).

I'm with IGO on the coffee mug issue. A good rinse is all it ever needs.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 7/18/2006, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:
It does not work well, it's hard to get a good seal on the nalgene and you wind up with coffee grounds above the filter. I picked one up a few months ago and have been deeply disatisfied with it so far.
I'm with IGO on the coffee mug issue. A good rinse is all it ever needs.

It's pretty tough (at a 6-9 dollar retail price point, anyway) to get a plastic bottle perfectly smooth & round (these bottles are made up of two pieces glued together)- plus, in order bend the plunger seal to install it in there, it, by virtue of this flexibility, cannot be made rigid enough to adequately do its job of plunging.

Ditto on the rinse.. unless milk is used; then a little scrubbing is a GOOD thing...

grrlscout

PostPosted: 7/19/2006, 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up! Glad I didn't waste my money on it. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 10/24/2006, 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kill two birds with one stone....... (well, maybe not - it's caffeine free... but, then again, I guess some people drink light beer)

http://www.alacer.com/cgi-bin/dbsearch.exe?mdb=/products.mdb,tbl=products,DB_code=59,DBCOMP=ABS,template=/products/returntitle.htm

MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/24/2006, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

but, then again, I guess some people drink light beer)

oooohh slam!!

all hail Four Peaks Kiltlifter

what i do
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 10/24/2006, 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kiltlifer is good.....

Arrogant Bastard Ale is better Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: