ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Caving 101----trip to Cave "X"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 7/17/2005, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Caving 101----trip to Cave "X" Reply to topic Reply with quote

"K" backs off the ledge on hands and knees, gripping the rope set up as a handline. She slowly stretches out, reaching for the part of the ledge we know is there, cannot see. "C" calls up "I'll spot you". She smiles bravely, 14 years young, a polite neophite caver. The ledge slopes down here, and is smooth. To the far right is a 60 foot drop, to her immediate left is a 30 foot drop. She will gain the ledge, then drop down thru a chimney of 20 feet, to boulders and a sloping floor that will allow access to rooms below.
They call up--"are you coming" --I tell them to go on. I am unsure of the climbing, and want to stay to be alone for a while. I am comfortable seated on a saddle shaped rock with my back supported by the wall. The voices and lights fade; I turn my headlamp off.
Wow, it is dark. Its so cool and comfortable in this cave. The blackness is almost welcome, I am by myself and I close and open my eyes to see if I can perceive the difference. I feel very secure here, and almost drift off. Soon lights pan back and hear the yell--"come on down" I reply, the handline is not so secure so someone needs to come up. They do, reset the line, and down I go.
Five of us made it past "squeeze play" where you lay down on your left side, your left arm stretched up above your head and you rotate your body slightly, then inch worm along a few feet. The others elected to sit it out in the big room, two got slightly stuck and were pulled put by their feet. I know for sure now claustrophobia is no issue for me, from the get go it was lie down and crawl. " K" and I are down here with three other "cowboys"-- aggressive young cavers that can climb better than spiderman.
Somehow I deal with the height issue easier in the dark--like a horse with blinders on. I swing over the ledge, start down the hole, screw up my footing in the chimney and have to rotate my almost wedged body. The darn thing "bells" out at the bottom and "C" guides me with his voice, as I get lower he grabs my dangling left foot as he tells me where the right one should go. Need some upper body strength in here.

This is an easy cave by the caving worlds standards, a nice cave, not big or spectacular. I find it stimulating enough, thank you. Three of us are new, "K", her mom, and myself. The others are all experienced cavers, several with few caves to their credits, then comes "J" and "S" probably 40 years for "J" and 30 years for "S", who has been in 400+ caves, and all over the world. He ranks among top 5 wild caves, one here in Arizona and two in Yugoslavia.

The climbing and crawling almost distract me from the beauty. The only sizable room in this cave --Cave X--- I shall call it, houses bones from a pleistocene era small antelope like creature. Past the squeeze play a small alcove cuts out of the wall, at this point you are crawling on hands and knees. In the small alcove is just room enough for one person to stand up.
When you stand----twinkle, twinkle little star. Full of crystals, in a pocket like room. Of course, most broken off by the human subspecies--imbecilicus moronita.
Later, upright, you wall walk in a tight area about 10 feet above the floor, we all look up and go WOW WILL YOU LOOK AT THAT---the living cave, white, cream colored stalactites(I think, I always get those mixed up), dripping slowly with the underground water, growing all so slowly. And another type of formation-- straw like, short , juts out all different directions. They were named to me but I forget. Will have to get some caving books. Now, a column, darker colored, stained with the cave dirt, but moist and growing too. And the flow stones, small draperies, its amazing and beautiful. The formations aren't massive but you are right there; we remind each other no touching.
Forgotton is all the dirt and the crawling with stones scraping elbows and hips. This is just magnificent.

I get to sign in at the lower cave register. Our group is the first to have signed in since February.
We have such a good time at this cave, we decide to go to Cave Y, about a 20 minute drive away. It has been a while since anyone has been there, so we have to walk thru some limestone formations to find the entrance. Its a hole about 2.5 by 3 feet and drops straight in about 18 feet. Once again they rig a handline, some webbing around a tree. We all downclimb except one person who asks and is belayed.
This cave is small and trashed. We had some garbage bags and pick up old bottles and cans, one dated 1938, one intact interesting ornate wine like bottle.
Here we find lots of little bones, "S" identifys hare, ringtail, and two bones we argue back and forth might be human. Sure looks like the distal end of a femur and a shattered upper portion of the humerous. Then we think it might be bear. We leave them be, probably will never be sure.
I crawl thru a couple of places on my back, my nose inches from the ceiling. The helmet is invaluable, I have banged it about a lot of times today. "J"'s wife takes a picture of me getting ready to get out of a hole. My photography in here sux--need a tripod for sure.
Thunder rolls overhead, a monsoon cell coming by. We stay down. Its starts to rain, rain coming in the little hole, but we are comfortable. "S" tells me overall average cave temps are because it takes 6 months for the cold of winter to penetrate the ground, and six months for the heat of summer. Southern Arizona caves tend to be warm, about 72-73 degrees.
Time to get out, its fun climbing up, the walls are not too slick with the little rain. I feel more confident in my moves on the rock, "B" compliments me as he spots everyone up--"you are a natural climber".

I was going to leave, but decide to attend the after caving steak dinner at the best little steak place in southern arizona. It was really good too. I am pleasantly interrogated, listen to some stories. One conversation centers around a cave that has been closed for 9 years; trying to get access from the landowner. Once inside the entrance a short time later is a 180 foot rappel.
I tell "S", I don't know how to rappel. He waves his hand and says "Don't worry, stick with us, we'll teach you."

I sit there thinking ---holy s$$#%^^t, what have I gotton myself into now----

I have not identified these folks as I am writing this story as my own recollection, not with their permissions. I know they value the care of these caves, and I will not identify nor take anyone to their locations, unless with a caving group.
I would encourage those interested contact their local caving organizations to learn more.
I had a great experience and hope for more, but will rely on their expertise and willingness to guide me, in exchange I will keep their trust sacred.

We did not go to Cave of the Bells, about which information is on the internet, due to road closure of the Santa Rita fire.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 7/17/2005, 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SWEET!
You're fortunate to have had such a terrific group to have spent the time with... you're a CAVER! ........ Congrats!

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/17/2005, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very Cool!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/18/2005, 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very cool trip. I remember going on a weekend trip to the Kentucky Mammoth Cave area in college. We found a bunch of unmarked caves around there. Some went on for what seemed like miles. Didn't bring any climbing equipment, so some were pretty short-lived.

I do have to ask, did they serve you alphabet soup at that steak place? Spinning on my head

Shades
HUM469

PostPosted: 7/18/2005, 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very cool. Caves are a lot of fun. I have been meaning to get out there and do a lot more of it, but it seems that info on real caving groups is in short supply. Online here, I haven't found any that seem to be willing to take on new members. And the only one I ever met up with seemed more like they were looking for cave locations from me! I appreciate the need for some discretion, but in a lot of cases, it is starting to seem like many take it a hair too far. I have spent a lot of time researching and learning the proper preservation methods and how to cave responsibly. I would very much love to meet a group as friendly and helpful as you did RedRoxx44. If, with their permission, they would be willing to meet with me to determine if I am worthy, can you let me know through PM? I figure through that means, the information remains quiet, and if there is any more information about myself, my knowledge, and my abilities befor I can be deemed worthy, I'll be happy to provide it.
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/18/2005, 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh my gosh! Way cool! So many things to do! So little time and resources! You are blessed Letty!

I want to shine!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 7/18/2005, 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Definitely, an amazing adventure and the portrait of the fair and fiery adventurer is perfect. Reds are special.

However, journey to the center of the earth is not my thing. Made my skin crawl with the "squeeze" and the dark drops into obscure space.
Dirt Dog

PostPosted: 7/18/2005, 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

you're a Spelunker!
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 7/20/2005, 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Tom,

If ya didn't know the Mammoth Cave complex is the longest in the world at about 600 miles of cave!! I think its called the Footbridge or ridge cave system links into it. Some expedition cavers (backpacking in a cave) , went thru a underground river whose level has dropped and popped out into an old section of Mammoth cave no longer toured, they saw the old railings still in place along an unlit walkway.
That made the final link between the two caves.
I think backpacking thru a cave would be cool--- no need for a tent!! Could go pretty light as long as water available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: