ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Another Do-gooder project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/8/2005, 6:00 am    Post subject: Another Do-gooder project Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm planning on doing this one and have room for 2-3 more. I'll stay for both days.

Thanks

Volunteers for Outdoor Arizona

August 13 & 14, 2005 Canyon Creek Bull Thistle Removal
First the area was devastated by the Rodeo-Chediski fire...then the invaders came...it has no natural enemies, no animals will eat it, increases erosion which leads to impacts the creek and fish habitat. This is one prickly predator! The BULL THISTLE!

It's up to you, our precious VOAZ volunteers to rid the area of this menace and help restore the natural beauty and balance to this ecosystem. This is a perfect family project and a great way to introduce the ideals of stewardship to young children. Everyone can take part in the forceful removal of the bull thistle! VOAz volunteers will use spades and light picks to sever the plant from its rootstock 3-4 inches below the soil; that's all it takes to get rid of this biennial. Remember to bring your gloves because every part of this plant is full of spines! What's a biennial? A plant that lives for two years, flowering in its second year. This is the non-flowering year and by ridding the area of bull thistle now we prevent seeds spreading this noxious invader to a wider area thereby killing two birds with one stone!

Camping is semi-primitive at the Valentine Ridge Campground (there will be pit toilets and limited water) with most campsites having picnic tables. Although there are also grills, the extreme fire danger prevents any type of fire, even on the grill. The area is a cool escape from the desert heat and a beautiful retreat.

Approximate miles from Tempe office: 125
Approximate travel time from Tempe office: 2 1/1 hours. Parts of State Route 260 are under construction and there could be delays.
Forest roads are well graded (but a little washboardy) and accessible by all vehicles.
Minimum age: 10
Number of volunteers needed: 30
A fact sheet, including detailed travel directions, will be sent to registrants and at this web within two weeks of the event.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/8/2005, 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

workin'.... Crying or Very sad

Keep posting Sean! I'll make it to the first one I can! I really do wanna start doing some of these.... I hate being a working stiff who is stuck working weekends.....

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: