ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Lake Powell silt!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/13/2003, 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well said, Tempe 8.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 3/13/2003, 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow! Jump down off that soapbox,there!I believe Powell's original plan was to build the dam at a higher elevation much farther up North somewhere to avoid the heat and evaporation ,but I believe politics played a part in trashing those plans at that time. Maybe that would've been a better alternative,but no one would listen to Powell! ( Gee, what a surprise!) All I said it was silting up as dams do historically! Crazy
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/13/2003, 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Perhaps it can keep the Corps of Engineers and the Bureau of Reclaimation busy dredgeing instead of building.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 3/13/2003, 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sredfield wrote:
Cactuscat, you radical you!

Yes, I am - thank you!! Mr. Green

Tempe8, I'm guilty on some of those charges, but I certainly do try to keep my impact to a minimum. No, I don't live in a nice house with any yard. I'm a vegetarian, so No chicken salad. And I don't have any kids - nor will I ever. I also wouldn't drive an SUV.

DRAIN IT!
ck1

PostPosted: 3/13/2003, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Dams and canals around the world are wonderful creations by man that support and propagate our species. They've provided: safety from floods, consistent water supplies, electricity, and jobs. How quickly we forget how we got here today. How quickly we forget the hand that feeds us, the life spring that sustains us. Unfortunately, these arguments are often made from the lofty perches of our comfortable McMansions, not taking into account our individual microscopic impact on the macroscopic world around us.

OK, couple of things here that we should explore regarding the wonderful creations of man....
"safety from floods" - umm, that's like saying that the FS policy of fire supression has been good for forests. The regular flooding of the Mississippi is a natural occurance, however, the canals/locks/dams created by the corp of engineers are attributed to the catastropic imact on the surronding areas, both man made and natural, the same holds true for the other major rivers.
"consistent water and electricity" - not so, look at Roosevelt. SRP shut it down, due to low water levels. The water supply is an issue with or without the dams. There are much more effective/efficient energy sources

I don't believe we owe our existence to dams. The projected impact of decomissioning the dams doesn't require the depopulation of Phoenix or LA.

We all make the world the way it is, and we sure could do a better job, both locally and globally.

"The Journey is the Destination"
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Colin,you're THE Man!! Cool
Daryl

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love discussions like this. I respect the position of wanting to protect the planet, and doing what is right for the environment, making a minimal impact... I’d rather hike the Grand Canyon then walk down the streets of Manhattan any day.

However, I still haven’t heard any convincing evidence to make me change my position on draining Lake Powell. The argument of, it shouldn’t have been built in the first place is not enough. You need to look at the benefits and at what cost do those benefits come.
The only benefit I can see from draining the dam is that the water of the Colorado River will be warmer. Is there anything else? If that’s it, it’s not worth the cost. Happy trout isn’t worth the dollar cost and the lives that will be affected.

PS, the Mississippi River floods every 10-20 years, even with the locks and dams.
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was going to post something - but then I thought better of it and decided to shut up. See my original post on the matter. Two people put up two very good arguments - and certain people agree with each of them. I don't think either one has completely refuted the other's argument. Tempe8 made some good comments, Colin reponded, and Tempe8 will probably come back for more. I can think of several good arguments to respond to both of them in fact. But I won't bother with it.

It all depends on your perspective. Everyone probably thinks I'm one big fence sitting do-nothing. Well, that isn't true. I just know when I'm not going to be able to convince anyone of my particular viewpoint. Some perspectives are just too far appart to ever come to an agreement - compromise, possibly. Agreement - highly unlikely.

I have learned this lesson again and again while in graduate school. If you really want to have fun, find a couple of ed psych people - one a behaviorist/operant conditioning theorist and the other a cognitive theorist. Sit back and watch the sparks fly. Good times. Are they both wrong or right? No, they just approach a similar problem from TOTALLY different perspectives. Both perspectives work, by the way, to greater or lesser degree - depending on the application - but two different perspectives will never agree.

I think it is the same thing with conservative vs. non-conservative (I reserve the label of liberal as it implicitly implies an openess to new viewpoints - and today's political "liberals" (and conservatives for that matter) are anything but). They both have thier correct and effective views - depending on the application. The trouble is finding which philosophy to apply in any given situation. That's where the arguing begins...

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

If you really want to have fun, find a couple of ed psych people - one a behaviorist/operant conditioning theorist and the other a cognitive theorist. Sit back and watch the sparks fly.

Now, there's a fun way to spend a friday night!! Who's bringng the beer and popcorn! Silly
ck1

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Olesma is certainly correct, but where would the fun be if we didn't argue about things here...I think most informed people can see both sides of any issue...I don't think either side intends to convince the other of their viewpoints, but rather to express their opinion on the issues. The key however, is being informed. Without the proper education on the matter, any opinion/arguement is futile.

Now, if you're offering to arrange a face off between a behaviorist / operant conditioning theorist and a cognitive theorist...just tell me where and when, and I'll bringthe beer...Mike will get take out from Pasta Pomodoro and we'll be there!

"The Journey is the Destination"
Daryl

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, what does everyone think about packing heat while hiking? Wink

I agree Colin. I personally do not quite understand the logic behind the pro draining of the dam movement but I'd like to. I've read a bit about it in the past and the only reason I've heard is to bring the water temperature back up so the trout do better. I'm not being sarcastic when I'm asking for more benefits of draining the dam. I personally do not think raising the temperature to make the trout happy is reason enough to destroy the lake and thus destroy the city of Page. (by the way, how many ceatures would die and or lose their homes if the lake was drained? (not a sarcastic question either!))
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Now, there's a fun way to spend a friday night!! Who's bringng the beer and popcorn!

Don't worry Mike - I haven't lost my mind. I had just witnessed a huge brouhaha over that subject on Wednesday night - and this forum reminded me of it a little. I don't think I've laughed so hard in a class for a long time. The class was naturally divided on the issue and people REALLY cared about their viewpoint.

It's a freaking THEORY people! Sheesh! It's not like we were arguing over the existence of God or the fate of the people of the world - or even the fate of one individual. More like arguing over who the better author of a paper was. They were arguing over an INTELLECTUAL VIEWPOINT.

I eventually pointed that out and suddenly everyone ganged up on my for suggesting it might be a trivial argument to have. So at least I unified the class....

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

but where would the fun be if we didn't argue about things here

I'm not arguing that we shouldn't argue. Cause that would be arguing anyway and the whole exercise would be pointless and argumentative...or something like that.

I've just found that the written, non-immediate nature of this (or similar) forum(s) has led to some inadvertent bad karma for certain individuals. My reflex now is to take a neutral position and try to point out that there can in fact BE a neutral position - in the hope that anyone could occupy that calm within the storm and really look at each side and try to see their point of view. I think too many people are just a little too reactionary (myself included most of the time) and if given the time to consider and become informed, they would at the very least understand where the other side is coming from - not agree with them necessarily, but at least come to understand them a little more.

Respectfully agreeing to disagree is much better in my book that refusing to acknowledge that the other viewpoint has any merits at all - although occasionally that is the case (racism and fascism come to mind - I can think of absolutely NO justification for those types of philosophy).

Sorry - just waxing a little philosophical today. I'm done now.

- Abraham Lincoln
azrocks

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's hard to believe in these days of Neanderthal leaders, but society is getting
richer and more enlightened. I have to believe that someday Lake Powell will
be drained and restored just like we clean the grime of the industrial revolution
off our historic buildings. They'll just teleport the silt to Mars, and change the
name to Abbey Canyon.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Quote:

If you really want to have fun, find a couple of ed psych people - one a behaviorist/operant conditioning theorist and the other a cognitive theorist. Sit back and watch the sparks fly.

Now, there's a fun way to spend a friday night!! Who's bringng the beer and popcorn! Silly

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmm........BEEEEEER
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: