ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Lake Powell silt!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 3/11/2003, 2:19 am    Post subject: Lake Powell silt!! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey all! Just got back from Utah for 7 days of skiing and knees are fine! Cloudy with flat light first part of the week,but excellent in the latter with awesome snow and great sun!! Needed that!! While there I happened to see a pic of Lake Powell on the Utah news and it looks just horrible.They may have to get some kind of dredge to get rid of all the silt.The aerial view was quite alarming! Never shoulda built that porridge dam!! Sad
cactuscat

PostPosted: 3/11/2003, 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Lake Powell silt!! Reply to topic Reply with quote

GeorgAz wrote:
Never shoulda built that porridge dam!! Sad

That's for sure!! It's never to late to fix, though - I don't know what Hayduke and the rest of the Monkey Wrench Gang are waiting for! Wink Diablo http://www.drainit.org
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/11/2003, 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

It's never to late to fix, though

They'll NEVER drain it. It is too important for water, power and tourist economy. Revenue is too important a thing for politicians.

Yes, it is likely that we shouldn't have made the lake in the first place, and yes, it is probably not managed properly. But, all grass-roots efforts notwithstanding, it is still far too valuable a resource now that it is in place to ever get rid of. At least - I don't ever see it happening in my lifetime.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 3/11/2003, 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I personally dont think it should be drained. I also dont think it should of been build. It ruined all sorts of good hiking. I have heard it was a much more beautiful canyon then the Grand Canyon.
I dont think it should be drained because, for one, the beauty will not be there anymore. There would be trash everywhere, the silt would be awful, the beauty it once had would not be there anymore.
Also it had created a whole new habitat for animals and fish. Draining it would disrupt this habitat.
Also there are alot of people that depend on its electricity, they would need to find some other way to make up for the loss.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/11/2003, 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The interesting thing is that there are significant and valid arguments for both points of view. Neither side has managed to throw a truly convincing argument one way or another that has gotten me to lean to either side from a theoretical perspective. The opinions of both sides are (usually) well thought out and (occasionally) researched fairly well. The two opposing viewpoints are so convincing on their own that it is hard to go with either one exclusively.

This is why I put the perspective of the politician out there. Right or wrong - past/present/future - that is how things work. Follow the money. Glenn Canyon Dam is here to stay - for good or ill.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 3/11/2003, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There's a book called "All My Rivers Are Gone" by Mary Lee, who was one of the first explorers and hikers in the Glen Canyon area ,along with two friends, a photographer and outdoorsman. It is an amazing book.Her descriptions of all the canyons and sacred places they found and named ,explored and almost lost their lives in, are so profound and touching.Goes right up to the porridge being built and watching as the canyon became inundated and lost forever. Sad It is a beautiful poignant and sad account of a place that must have been indescribably beautiful and irreplaceable. It is available at most libraries. Brought tears to my eyes. Crying or Very sad
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/12/2003, 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Be thankfull that they did not build the other four coal fired power plants around the lake.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 3/12/2003, 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
Glenn Canyon Dam is here to stay - for good or ill.

I don't believe that at all! One way or another, it will be gone someday - as will all man made "improvements".
cactuscat

PostPosted: 3/12/2003, 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller wrote:
I dont think it should be drained because, for one, the beauty will not be there anymore. There would be trash everywhere, the silt would be awful, the beauty it once had would not be there anymore.
Also it had created a whole new habitat for animals and fish. Draining it would disrupt this habitat.

I'm sure it's true that the beauty would not be there anymore, but my main concern is the Colorado River. The river is dying because of the changes brought about by the stupid dam. All that silt is supposed to be flowing down river, restoring beaches - the name "Colorado River" refers to the red color that it is supposed to be, not that ugly artificial green! Also the river should be cold in the winter and warm in the summer, not constantly cold like the water flowing from the bottom of that big ass "lake" - the native fish are suffering due to the altered river.
Daryl

PostPosted: 3/12/2003, 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Draining it would do more harm then good. Right or wrong to be built in the first place, now that it's there it needs to stay up.

Whats worse, a thriving lake (which many people consider one of the most beautiful lakes around) or a barron, life less, trash filled canyon that won't be close to normal or useable for anything for hundreds of years.

Yes the water is colder in the colorado river then it should be, but is exposing the damage already done to glen canyon and the creation of more power plants worth warming up the river? If so, please explain.

As for the river being red, most of the time it is. The last few years, due to the drought in the south west, the Paria river, which supplies the colorado river with plenty of silt, has been nothing but a trickle.
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 3/12/2003, 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mmmmmmmmmmm...........Stripers
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 3/12/2003, 6:05 pm    Post subject: dams and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

I heard an interesting story on All Things Considered today that is right in line with this subject. -
St. Francis Dam Disaster -
http://www.npr.org/display_pages/features/feature_1190341.html

Interesting story, check out the audio when it becomes available.

GTG
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 3/12/2003, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cactuscat, you radical you!

I vote to drain it also, although the primary reason for its existence is the water compact between the upper CO River states and the lower states. Its all part of the Law of the River, a mixture of laws, court cases, and agreements, that set how the river is managed. Basically, the upper states "owe" the lower ones a certain amount of water annually, the reserve in Lake Powell is to ensure they can deliver without shutting off irrigation and municiple water up stream. Recreation and power are ancillary to that requirement.

I think if it were drained the land would recover sooner than we think. Keep in mind that geolocially, a human life span is a blink of an eye. I suggest that ten years would show lots of change, remember its all down hill from the lake, the silt would wash and errode down stream, changing it for awhile but sooner or later it would run clear. So what if it takes 50 years, at least its going in the right direction. The silt is a problem, the lake's life is not all that long.

another $.02 worth
tempe8

PostPosted: 3/12/2003, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Man in the mirror Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love these debates. Arguments that rail against human intervention in nature, dams specifically, don't hold any water with me (pun intended). I just have to shake my head.

Dams and canals around the world are wonderful creations by man that support and propagate our species. They've provided: safety from floods, consistent water supplies, electricity, and jobs. How quickly we forget how we got here today. How quickly we forget the hand that feeds us, the life spring that sustains us. Unfortunately, these arguments are often made from the lofty perches of our comfortable McMansions, not taking into account our individual microscopic impact on the macroscopic world around us.

Do you live in a nice house? One with a nice big yard? What about the ecosystem that was destroyed by bulldozing it and then laying concrete over it? "But my house only took up a 1/4 acre". Yes, on the micro level, but on the macro level, our population in Phoenix has eaten up 100 square miles of natural ecosystems to propagate our species. Did you drive to work in a nice car, on smooth asphalt highways, so you could earn money to buy food today? Woops, there goes another 150 miles of nature paved over and some giant strip mines gathering iron ore for our cars. How about that nice chicken salad today at lunch? Sorry chickens, there goes another industrial factory farm. Did you enjoy that cool glass of water while hiking across the desert? Don't look now, but someone just built a dam. Do you have kids? Then you're part of the problem (if you look at the human species as a problem).

Now I enjoy the beauty of nature more than most people and I think we should do all we can to lighten our impact on nature, but I certainly will never rally against something as fundamental to life as water. "Well, if Phoenix can't support us without a dam we shouldn't live here". Ok, but we've got to go somewhere and we'd be causing problems there too.

All jesting aside, before we make these arguments against dams, we need to look at how we each contribute to their existence, how we each owe our existence to them. So, I have to ask now "Have you looked in the mirror today"?

P.S. We can take the energy equation out of dams if we go nuclear. We can also clear up the air while also becoming an energy independent country (think Middle East crisis). Woo hoo! go Nuclear!
tempe8

PostPosted: 3/12/2003, 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's weird. Everywhere I had an apostrophe or a quotation mark, it put in a funny numerical sequence. Sorry, hope you can read it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: