ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GPS Locater with cell phones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: 6/8/2005, 12:25 pm    Post subject: GPS Locater with cell phones Reply to topic Reply with quote

Maybe this is already known but my Verizon phone has a GPS locater chip and I wondered how it works. Local police departments have told me that the Enhanced 911 (E911) required coverage by the FCC will be complete for Pinal County by September 2005 and is complete for the entire Superstitions as of now. The metro Phoenix area started coverage on the east for phase I and phase II. Both provide the location but phase II is much more accurate.

This means that, if you have a cell phone with a GPS locater chip and you activate the E911 feature, you have 911 as an emergency WHETHER OR NOT YOU CAN GET A CELL PHONE SIGNAL. If you require help you can follow the instructions for E911 with your phone and dial or hit the selected botton and your position will immediately be recognized by satellite and help will be on the way. Without a cell phone signal you will not be able to talk or hear anyone BUT the satellite will have pinpointed your location and let law enforcement know and they will be on their way to your location---probably by helicopter. To be on the safe side they say your location can be determined within about 50 meters.

A phase III is coming where you can be located within much less distance and soon an almost exact location will be possible. There are places in the Supes where no one can get a cell phone signal as we know. They continue to build towers but for now, if there is no call phone signal and someone gets into trouble, the E911 system will summon help.

I was told to pass along the information that the E911 system is the ONLY way that cell phones can use satellites. No other calls can go through satellites--unless one has a satellite phone of course. It will not be long before all cell phones have the chips that can pinpoint location within 20 feet!! This is great for retired guys like me but definitely a curse on those still working as the boss will always know exactly where you are!!! ho ho ho.....
Hnak

PostPosted: 6/8/2005, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS Locater with cell phones Reply to topic Reply with quote

Slowclimber wrote:
This is great for retired guys like me but definitely a curse on those still working as the boss will always know exactly where you are!!! ho ho ho.....

Only if the cell phone is turned on (and with you)..... Wink
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 6/8/2005, 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS Locater with cell phones Reply to topic Reply with quote

Slowclimber wrote:
the boss will always know exactly where you are!!! ho ho ho.....

It can be disabled. Laughing
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 6/8/2005, 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Leave it turned on at home.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/25/2005, 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You still have to have a cell phone signal for the system to work. article

The relevant quote from the article is "Neither GPS tracking nor tower triangulation will guarantee that your cell-phone call to 911 will get through. Part of the problem--as we documented in our own tests last year--is lack of service, either because there are no cell towers nearby or because your service is incompatible with the service in the area through which you’re passing. “If you can’t call your grandmother, you can’t call 911,” says Marzolf."

So the feds can tell where you are if your phone is on and you have a cell signal. Otherwise, you can keep them guessing. Smile
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/25/2005, 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW wrote:
Leave it turned on at home.

I'd rather give you a 6-pack to carry mine for a day. That would have them wondering what I was up to! Twisted Evil
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 9/26/2005, 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You will still need to be in the Network and get cell reception. Even if you roam it could not work, depending if the Roaming carrier has GPS capability. It will not work out in the wilderness where there is no signal. For that you will need a true Satellite phone (i.e. Iridium)
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/26/2005, 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One option is to purchase an emergency beacon.
They vary in price but will work from anywhere. I have a friend who bought one for her trail rides.

PostPosted: 9/26/2005, 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for revising this thread. Back in June I contacted verizon and the local police and received incorrect information. Thanks to GB it is now cleared up that a cell phone will NOT work without a signal. I was told it would until today. I finally talked to mr. verizon (well someone up top) and he said he would search out the person who told me a cell phone would work to a satellite without a signal and have them whipped.

Without a signal there is no contact with a cell phone. if you call E911 from your cell phone the operator can route the call to the nearest 911 emergency center who can then use a satellite to locate closely the call. Mr. Green

Please forgive my mis-information and have me whipped with wet noodles. Mr. Green
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/29/2006, 11:34 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I always wondered how the chip works on a cell phone for the 911 etc. Thanks for the info and the tip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: