ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Sleeping bags
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/5/2003, 6:50 pm    Post subject: Sleeping bags Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any one use REI down filled sleeping bags and or Northface synthetic ?
dennisbench

PostPosted: 3/5/2003, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No can't say I have. Do you have a particular bag in mind? I have Mountain Hardwear and won't ever buy any other brand.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/5/2003, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Haven't used either, but the Backpacker Magizine Gear Guide has reviews on both these manufacturers. The only negative they had about REI was that the outershell ripped easily. They also have the gearfinder feature on there web site at

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/0,3436,,00.html

you can set all the parameters for the things you are interested in
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/5/2003, 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a North Face Cat's Meow. I love it, it's been a great bag so far.

http://www.backpacker.com/article/0,2646,2399,00.html
desert dweller

PostPosted: 3/6/2003, 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have had my REI 20 degree down for almost ten years now. It still fluffs up just fine and there haven't been any tears or other damage.

I had a Sierra Designs 0 degree synthetic for about five years and it became pretty much useless for anything below 20 degrees after that.

Unless you are going to a rain forest, I would recommend a down bag.
Lizard

PostPosted: 3/6/2003, 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I used a North Face Cat's Meow for several years and had no complaints about it.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/6/2003, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have the REI 20 degree down bag too & works quite well ( 5 yrs +). In summer I find it too hot....It usually ends up as an added layer of softness! Very Happy

I like the down!

REI bag's outer shell is bit thin -- not that I have had any issues wiith it. I like its lightness though
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 3/6/2003, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Bags Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nighthiker:

North Face is selling Polarguard "Delta" which is their new version of Polarguard made just for them. I understand that the Delta and the 3D are more compressible than the older HV style. TNF has good quality control.

I have an REI Down Time minus 20. (So they say...) I've had it for about 10 years. So far so good. I really wish all manufacturers would include LOFT figures for their bags. That is less subjective than 'it's good to +15". My Minus 20 bag has 6 1/2" loft according to REI. Western Mountaineering rates a 6" loft bag at about +10. I have a Mountain Hardwear King Tut Dryloft which has 11" of loft and they rate it to minus 20....what gives??? Loft is a more standard measure.

If I won the lottery, I would have nothing but Dryloft coated (goretex) down bags, in several temperature ratings and maybe one synthetic bag for the Olympic Rain Forest.... They would all be from Western Mountaineering, which everyone seems to think is the top of the pile, although some rate Feathered Friends brand up there too. The Dryloft helps overcome the wetness issue for down. Dryloft also adds about 5 degrees to the rating as it windproofs the shell, and prohibits wind wicking of warmth from the outer part of the bag.

It's purely a personal observation but I think down has a broader temperature confort range than synthetic. A 0 rated down bag is still bearable at 35 above, but a 0 rated sythetic will cook you alive at 35 or 40. I think down just self regulates better.

The new Polarguard is supposed to be very close to down. I've had several, including a Mtn HW polarguard HV bag I have now. I can guarantee that if you want to retain the loft on a synthetic bag--or a down bad-- for that matter, you MUST keep it completely unstuffed between trips. The more times you forget and remember it a month later, the quicker the loft goes away. Even the manufacturers are adamant on this.

Other than the Rolls Royces (Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends) of the down only world, I think the best bags out there are made by Mountain Hardwear (I agree Dennis, I've got a lot of their gear) North Face and Marmot. REI bags are made by a company called THAW, in Seattle, which REI owns. I've gotten good wear out of mine, and the prices are competitive, but if you can get one of the name brands on sale, go for it. If you can find a Western bag on sale you have a REAL find. Alomst all of the other high ends are made in China now. Western Mountaineering bags are still hand made in California by real granola breath tree huggers. Wink I'm sure the US labor impacts their price.

I've had no experience with either Sierra Design or Kelty bags. Good luck. -R
evenstar

PostPosted: 3/6/2003, 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bags Reply to topic Reply with quote

CatValet wrote:

I would have nothing but Dryloft coated (goretex) down bags, in several temperature ratings and maybe one synthetic bag for the Olympic Rain Forest.... They would all be from Western Mountaineering, which everyone seems to think is the top of the pile, although some rate Feathered Friends brand up there too.

Aw Com'on Randy.....you mean your garage doesn't already contain all of the above.......and then some? Razz

And Mountain Hardware is using Polarguard "Delta" in their
First Dimension three season bags. I bought last year's model with 3D for about $80 off.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/12/2003, 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have added the REI downtime and the Slumberjack travelguide, I have been looking at the REI downtime and the Northface Goliath bag. I have also noted the new type of synthetic fill as well. I am looking for a bag rated to zero.
ck1

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lizard and Mike...I knew you guys were smart. I too have a Cat's Meow...picked it up in 96. It's gone thru hell and back, the thing is wonderful. I haven't had a single complaint, or cold night sleep either....now...if I could just figure out why it smells...

"The Journey is the Destination"
ck1

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

While I'm at it...

Anybody...RANDY....have any pros/cons to the REI Travel Down 45 degree down bag...$89.99...for those summer nights (may-sept)...I've got a $100 dividend that's burning a hole in my pocket.

"The Journey is the Destination"
dennisbench

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

COLUMBIA SPORTSWEAR AND MOUNTAIN HARDWEAR JOIN FORCES

PORTLAND, Ore. (March 13, 2003) – Outdoor apparel and footwear leader Columbia Sportswear Company (Nasdaq: COLM) announced today that it has entered into a definitive merger agreement to acquire Mountain Hardwear Inc. for aggregate consideration of approximately $36 million, including approximately $30 million in cash and $6 million of debt assumption. The merger is subject to approval by the shareholders of Mountain Hardwear and is expected to close on March 31, 2003.
Mountain Hardwear designs, develops and markets the most technically advanced equipment and apparel available to outdoor enthusiasts and professionals, many of whom are icons in the global mountaineering community. Mountain Hardwear, which is based in Richmond, Calif., recorded an unaudited $31.4 million in revenue during 2002. Upon closing, the company will be a wholly owned subsidiary of Columbia Sportswear.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 3/17/2003, 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd go for it Colin. Sounds like a very good deal, only problem is that your pack will then be too light, and it'll bounce around like a frog on your back.

Bad news Dennis....hope they let Mtn. HW keep its name, and also its quality. Would be a shame to force it to produce Columbia named gear, which I think is grade B Crying or Very sad -R
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 3/17/2003, 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm liking my REI subkilo down bag so far, but have only used it a few nights. I do not like how it behaves when wet, but the one time I got it damp was my fault, good lesson learned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: