ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Trail suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
austinh

PostPosted: 4/5/2005, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Trail suggestions Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm a runner living in Gilbert looking for trails to run this summer to avoid the Phoenix heat. I've picked up a couple of books and have been researching trails in the area north of Sunflower to as far north as Payson. I've had trouble finding trail heads such as the Mormon Grove Trailhead and the Cross F Trailhead. The turnoffs from the 87 have eluded me so far. If anyone has GPS tracklogs to get to Mormon Grove Trailhead or of runable trails in that area I would appreciate it. The ideal trail for me would be somewhere between 4000 and 6000 ft, would be compact dirt with few stones and rocks, and would be relatively flat. Again, I would appreciate any advice, words of wisdom, GPS tracklogs or waypoints, etc. Thanks!

Austin
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 4/5/2005, 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know much in the Sunflower area, but when I was cross country skiing at the Nordic Center in Flagstaff this winter, I thought that those trails would be great for some non-technical mountain biking. I'm sure a lot of bike trails would be good for running?! Mary
austinh

PostPosted: 4/5/2005, 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Shihiyea, I'll take a look at those trails. Flagstaff may be a bit too high for me though. Anything beyond 6,000 ft and I think I will be gasping for air! It's going to be a fine line between going high enough to get a cooling effect and going too high and suffering from oxygen deprivation.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 4/6/2005, 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

North of Sunflower is the turnoff for both Mt. Ord (East side of 87) and the Mormon Grove trailhead (westside of 87. I would suggest trai running up the Mt. Ord road for a workout only unless you are running with a group.
austinh

PostPosted: 4/6/2005, 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'll try to find the trailheads again soon. I've just struggled to find the turnoffs from 87. I plan on picking up some maps and/or the National Geographic Topo s/w for Arizona. BTW, why would you recommend the Mt. Ord road instead of trail running if I run solo? Is it a safety issue in terms of getting injured and needing to call for help? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
long ago

PostPosted: 4/6/2005, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One of my favorite running trails is horton creek then back down the derick trail to the campground, can't go wrong with this area Very Happy
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 4/6/2005, 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The road to Payson has been realigned within the last few years. If your map isn't up to date, it isn't going to make any sense on the ground. Cross F is down the old pavement I believe, and there is an AZ Trail sign there, east side of the old highway.

I believe Morman Grove TH is up on the Mountain quite a ways, and not readily accessible by car.
austinh

PostPosted: 4/6/2005, 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ah, that would explain things. I'll have to get an up-to-date map. I was considering buying the National Geographic Topo state map for Arizona, but I wonder if it has the old USGS maps of that area before the 87 changes. Any idea whether it's up to date or not? Either way, I'll plan on picking up the latest USGS map for that area. Thanks for the info.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 4/6/2005, 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

you might check out the Highline trail, its 51 miles long with a dozen access points, and crosses the Horton Spring area as mentioned above. There is an annual Highline foot race but I dont recall the month. Might be September.

what i do
Shawn

PostPosted: 4/6/2005, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

austinh wrote:
Ah, that would explain things. I'll have to get an up-to-date map. I was considering buying the National Geographic Topo state map for Arizona, but I wonder if it has the old USGS maps of that area before the 87 changes. Any idea whether it's up to date or not? Either way, I'll plan on picking up the latest USGS map for that area. Thanks for the info.

National Geographic Topo is the USGS maps, and they are woefully out of date for many areas. It will not have the current roads, but will show the old ones. You go past Sunflower and turn off at the top of the hill, it's the first left, then follow it down and back west/south to the TH.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 4/7/2005, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Obtain a Tonto National Forest Visitors map (2004 ed.) for current info. Safety would be a facto if running alone from Mormon Grove Trailhead.
austinh

PostPosted: 4/13/2005, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! I appreciate it. Also, for those who are interested, I bought the National Geographic Topo CD for Arizona and the maps are not current for that area (just north of Sunflower). But, the good old paper maps will suffice. Thanks again.
Shawn

PostPosted: 4/14/2005, 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ooooops! Embarassed
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 4/14/2005, 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

hey Shawn, scroll UP!! haha Very Happy

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: