ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Free topo maps to download

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirt Dog

PostPosted: 4/4/2005, 3:59 pm    Post subject: Free topo maps to download Reply to topic Reply with quote

go to http://aria.arizona.edu/
then click on Images,enter 33.20 Lat and -111.00 Longitude, then the search button.
go down to 20DRG24K, click on the dot to select it then the download button. It will ask for download verification, You will have to register, you can give bogus Info if you want. Then continue.Scroll down to the first one that you should down load. o33111a1.tif this is a 1:100,000 scale map the others are 1:24,000 scale. The navigation for this site is terrible. Any way, here are some of the quadrangles I downloaded.

Windy Hill - o33111f1.tif
Theodore Roosevelt Dam - o33111f2.tif
Four Peaks - o33111f3.tif
Two Bar Mountain - o33111e1.tif
Pinyon Mountain - o3311e2.tif
Horse Mesa Dam - o33111e3.tif
Mormon Flat Dam - o33111e4.tif
Stewart Mtn. - o33111e5.tif
Haunted Canyon - o33111d1.tif
Iron Mountain - o33111d2.tif
Weavers Needle - o33111d3.tif
Goldfield - o33111d4.tif
Apache Junction - o33111d5.tif
Superior - o33111c1.tif
Picketpost MTN. - o33111c2.tif
Florence Junction - o33111c3.tif
Superstition MTN.SW - o33111c4.tif
Teapot Mountain - o33111b1.tif
Mineral MTN. - o33111b2.tif
Florence NE - o33111b3.tif

You may notice a pattern here.
because they are tif you can use the annotation abilities in the picture and fax viewer that comes with winxp to layout your trip plans, and print them out.I simplified this as much as I could.
ghoster

PostPosted: 4/4/2005, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeh but do you need a large format printer to make a usable map?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/4/2005, 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any tips for printing out only a section of the topo, like a zoomed in area?
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 4/4/2005, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't tried it yet, but you can convert tiff to jpeg. If you have software like adobe photoshop you can open the tiff image then crop out the area you want to print and save it as a jpeg or tiff, then print it.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/4/2005, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sounds good, I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks Heat!
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 4/4/2005, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You could probably do what Heat suggested in Microsoft Paint also. Photoshop is by far more robust, but Paint comes standard with Windows.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/4/2005, 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah I was able to figure it out, I used Photoshop Elements 2.0, a lot easier than regular photoshop.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 4/4/2005, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ok, I just downloaded the haunted canyon one, opened it in photoshop, clicked view actual pixels and it is life size topomap. You can resize, crop etc. If you crop and print you loose all your lat and longitude data off the map.

It does make for nice viewing though.
Dirt Dog

PostPosted: 4/5/2005, 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well first you have to have a screen capture utility an excellent FREE one is here http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/
Second in windows xp, the picture and fax viewer allows you to draw freehand and straight lines, and add text, and transparent colored boxes, frames or you can add just colored boxes.

After installing, Right click the gadwin Printscreen 2.6 icon in your notification area (Where the clock is) and select properties, click on the Source tab, then select client window, uncheck capture mouse cursor. Then select the destination tab, if you want your screen capture to go directly to the printer then select it. Unselect copy to clipboard unless you're going to paste it into another program like Photoshop or paintbrush. Check the capture directory so you know where to find the saved capture. Then click on the Image tab to select the format that the image will be saved as, .bmp, .jpg, ... I have my preferences but jpg is the most familiar. If you select jpg increase the quality setting to 100%.then click OK.

Load one of the (map) image files, zoom in on the area you’re interested in, draw and add text, then when you're done just hit the Print screen key (just to the right of F12) on your keyboard; remember that you're going to shrink everything in the viewer screen to an 8x10 piece of paper.

Example here > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/IMAWMD/Pack/screencap.jpg Hope this helps
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 4/5/2005, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep that works nice. I still like maps with lattitude and longitude as I use GPS for navigation.

This is all great information and a great resource though.

If anyone has access to ArcView GIS mapping software, SandeJ has informed me you can import the data, then manipulated and add things as desired.

Fun stuff!
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 4/5/2005, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

If anyone has access to ArcView GIS mapping software

I do at work. I'm the resident "expert" there.
plummer150

PostPosted: 9/13/2005, 7:22 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pretty sweet site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: